PDA

View Full Version : Do VR-4's have a 'sleeper' stealth factor in NZ

Robotnik123
22-04-2006, 06:06 AM
I've read in the UK section, posts where they say their VR-4s have a Sleeper / Stealth / Q-Car factor to them, in that not many people know they're performance cars. But what about in NZ? VR-4s here must be lots more common than in the UK I am sure. Does joe public know what a VR-4 is, do you think?

Gly
22-04-2006, 06:15 AM
theres far to many of them around now,

there deffinately not stealth

Kenneth
22-04-2006, 06:54 AM
theres far to many of them around now,

there deffinately not stealth

True, but I do believe they are still generally underrated.

bradc
22-04-2006, 07:07 AM
If you drive a japanese car with a turbo then you will know what one is, but an average person that has no interest in cars won't really know what one is.

A prefacelift car with stock exhaust and mags looks very boring in my opinion, and could easily slip by unnoticed

mpau009
22-04-2006, 07:13 AM
Stealth... maybe not.

Yeah, i think your only hope is to try and pass yourself off as a v6, or 1.8. Theyre still the most common by miles. Certainly all my mates whether theyr into cars or not know what the VR4 can do.

BTW a car i have noticed is a sleeper, are those 4l jeeps, theres two round my way, and in a straight line they really fly

Robotnik123
22-04-2006, 10:19 AM
Stealth... maybe not.

Yeah, i think your only hope is to try and pass yourself off as a v6, or 1.8. Theyre still the most common by miles. Certainly all my mates whether theyr into cars or not know what the VR4 can do.

BTW a car i have noticed is a sleeper, are those 4l jeeps, theres two round my way, and in a straight line they really fly

Yes, have contemplated going with a 1.8 GDI badge or similar. It could be a good idea for security too. Anyone actually done something like that and rebadged to a lesser Galant model?

Brunty
22-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I know Ghanda has in the past used a GDi badge or something similar.

He's spent £3 ish on the GDi badge, then thousands on mods!

bradc
22-04-2006, 12:22 PM
GDI's don't look stealthy either though, go have a look in my gallery and tell me how stealthy you think mine looks! http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=7

(ok sure it is black and possibly resembles a stealth aircraft, but damned it attracted a **** load more attention than my VR-4 does)

Robotnik123
22-04-2006, 12:32 PM
GDI's don't look stealthy either though, go have a look in my gallery and tell me how stealthy you think mine looks! http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=7

(ok sure it is black and possibly resembles a stealth aircraft, but damned it attracted a **** load more attention than my VR-4 does)

Is black really that much more head turning than purple? Maybe so. My VR-4 Legnum is black. It is definitely harder to keep clean.

By the way, who doesn't your tail garnish say 'Legnum'? How did you do that?:speechles

bradc
22-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Both of my facelifts were made in 1998 which meant that the Legnum wasn't written in silver straight on the tail lights, but came on a very ugly grey plastic thing that was peeling off on both cars.

I've attached the only pic I've got of this plastic thing, I ripped both of them off on my cars on the first day I had them. I think they look good from a distance, but they are terrible when you get up and close and when they start to peel off and discolouring it is even worse.

I beleive cars made from nov 98 to march 99 had this, after that they went to having silver letters straight on the tail lights the whole way through to 2002.

ShadyNZer
22-04-2006, 02:07 PM
theyre sleepers if the average chap dont know much bout them...i remember when i first wanted to get a galant, and my old man was asking what they look like so i kept pointing out any old galant, didnt realize till i got mine and came on here that theres different kits on the VR4 compared to the VRG and sh!t...tho mines bout as much as a sleeper as a p head who just had a fry..

bradc
22-04-2006, 09:10 PM
I think stevie wonder would be able to tell your car wasn't a sleeper :)

KiwiTT
22-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Mine looks only a little bit tweaked.

Rossco Type-S
22-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I don't know about up north, but down here they certainly are "sleepers". I get heaps of people pulling into the other lane at intersections thinking they will be able to pass me. Even SUVs and vans have a go.

ShadyNZer
23-04-2006, 02:59 AM
suvs and vans have a go against me now, just the other night a land cruiser tried to overtake me in a 50k area..had a big bore tip and everything...cheeky

jaimz
23-04-2006, 03:18 AM
Yeah, totally agree that only people in the know will know.

Especially with the pre-facelift 25-ST which usually (but not always) has same wheels, tints and bodykit as the VR-4. If you debadged one of each you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference I reckon.

Perhaps only the front rotor size would give it away.

bradc
23-04-2006, 03:54 AM
they also have a differant exhaust cutout, and the high vis dash is a giveaway too

Rossco Type-S
23-04-2006, 03:58 AM
I thought the huge ralliart exhaust on mine might give people some idea - but it doesn't seem too. I guess people but big bore exhausts on anything these days.

bradc
23-04-2006, 04:16 AM
yeah the exhaust doesn't do much to excite people these days, mine twin setup attracts quite a bit of attention though :)

Xeroid
24-04-2006, 04:37 AM
Yeah, reckon they're a bit of a sleeper generally speaking, most people don't expect a station wagon to fcuk off big time from the lights.
Kinda spoiled my 'sleeper' look though. Ralliart decals tend to do that I find ...LOL

btw, Windscreen now replaced and new Screen decal sourced and stuck.

OSiRiS
27-04-2006, 01:51 AM
Mine is sleeper :D

You See
27-04-2006, 07:09 AM
Mine's more of a sleeper than yours dude! :P

Xeroid
27-04-2006, 09:44 AM
No, I think you mean your cars are asleep .....:evilgrin:

OSiRiS
27-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Ahaha. Damnit.

TRO
28-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Yer i reckon they mainly have the sleeper mindset in nz.... i knew they were quick, didnt quite know how quick till i went in detonates 2 weekends ago, last week brought my one.

Fiending for the boost already :afro:

bradc
28-04-2006, 12:10 PM
TRO, look forward to seeing you at the next meet, I see yours is a facelift (1999 model) What are the specs of it?

TRO
28-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Still learning about it, totally stock standard, pics to come soon. Will defently be bringing it to some meets in the near future :happy: so you guys can tell me about it when I do.

Loving the site, constantly learning from it.