PDA

View Full Version : Brake Reccomendations

tunes
13-10-2003, 09:13 AM
Just starting to do my research for a not too distant brake upgrade. What do you reccomend i have a good look at? Any help would be appreciated.

tunes
15-10-2003, 02:13 AM
Emphasis on ANY... What have others out there upgraded to?

KiwiTT
15-10-2003, 03:12 AM
Wavy Disks (http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1496)

I may consider these. Look Cool and probably cool better.

Roadrunner
15-10-2003, 01:01 PM
I fitted Brembo discs and calipers from an Evo VII. Relatively straight-forward - fronts fitted OK, the only mod needed being to discard the disc backplate; the rears needed a minor mod to the backplate and about 3mm skimmed off the inside of the calipers so they'd sit centrally on the discs. This may be because the discs aren't what we were told they were, but they work now so I'm happy :)

Brian

Nimma
15-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Hey guys, check this out. This was posted on the Silvia forum but is applicable to any car.

Especially read the post and link from Yellow 15...

http://www.nissansilvia.co.nz/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2897

tunes
16-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys :)

andygy
22-11-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by H.7
I fitted Brembo discs and calipers from an Evo VII. Relatively straight-forward - fronts fitted OK, the only mod needed being to discard the disc backplate; the rears needed a minor mod to the backplate and about 3mm skimmed off the inside of the calipers so they'd sit centrally on the discs. This may be because the discs aren't what we were told they were, but they work now so I'm happy :)

Brian

Hi Brain,the Evo 7 rear two pot caliper fix perfectly on the VR4,except for the backplateINSERT INTO post VALUES (or so call dust cover)which you have to discard is rightINSERT INTO post VALUES (vr4 284mm verses evo7 300mm rotor).I have also fitted in the evo 7 rear on my VR4 without skimming my rotor and it is a perfect fix.Hope this will help in future.
P/S The best way to check is to fix up the rotor and caliper without the pad and measure the gap between the rotor and the caliperINSERT INTO post VALUES (inside and outside) :)

Roadrunner
22-11-2003, 03:55 PM
Hi Andy,

Thanks for your note, but it wasn't the rotor that was skimmed, it was the inside of the calipers so that they would sit centrally over the discs, rather than being slightly offset. I'm sure they would have worked OK, but we just wanted to ensure that there wouldn't be any pressure imbalance on the pistons.

Cheers,
Brian

andygy
25-11-2003, 03:49 AM
Hi H7,I have fitted in a EVO 7 rear caliper on mr rideINSERT INTO post VALUES (June 99VR4) and it does not need any modification on the caliper and rotor.and it sit in the centre of the rotor.Am still puzzled why 3mm had to be skimmed from the caliper.As have mentioned in my earlier post the best way to check is to fix up the rotor and caliper without the brake pad and check the centre gap of both side.INSERT INTO post VALUES (Did mine in this manner and the gap on the rotor where the caliper sit on it is balance)
P/S Just my thought is the caliper and rotor from the EVO7?:Ponder: :Ponder:

Roadrunner
25-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Andy,

That probably confirms my suspicion that the rotors aren't Evo VII ones. I know the calipers were from an Evo VII FQ300, but I suspect the rotors are Evo IV ones. They're 284mm in diameter INSERT INTO post VALUES (as opposed to the 294mm or 302mm that I expected - size depending on what info I read ;) ). However, the work has been done now so there's no going back ;) unless, I suspect, I buy new rear calipers and verified Evo VII discs. They work well, though, so I expect they'll see out the life of the car.

Cheers :)
Brian

zedy1
25-11-2003, 10:36 AM
i too need rear pads but im just going to stick with the standards, or do u guys think they need upgrading

Roadrunner
25-11-2003, 05:22 PM
I've never had any problems with standard pads :)

Nick Mann
25-11-2003, 07:42 PM
The rear discs seem to be hugely oversized when compared to the front. The difference is normally far greater. I think I have seen people post previously that there is no need to upgrade the rears, and after looking at the size of them, I'm not surprised!

Spirit
26-11-2003, 03:05 AM
And the rear pads are a mere £44 inc VAT ! :D Bargain !

zedy1
26-11-2003, 03:09 AM
me thinks funky product had some for 20 mark :D

Spirit
26-11-2003, 03:17 AM
What genuine Mitsy ones Mo ?

Spirit
26-11-2003, 03:27 AM
Just had a look Mo and they list EBC rears for £15 :

"EBC Standard Replacement Rear Brake Pads INSERT INTO post VALUES (DP576)
Item number 906
EBC Standard Replacement Rear Brake Pads INSERT INTO post VALUES (DP576). Fits Gallant 90+ VR4. Price is for a set of 4 pads.
Price : £ 15.00 INSERT INTO post VALUES (plus postage)"

Says for 90+ VR4 - will these fit ours then ?

zedy1
26-11-2003, 03:30 AM
i think they should,but if its ebc then im not going for them, my front red stuff pads were replaced just b4 jae and now there worn after 2k miles or so :Cry1:

Spirit
26-11-2003, 03:35 AM
Go for the Ferodo DS2500 fronts mate you won't be disappointed and I agree not to touch the EBC - get the standard Mitsy rears - £130 should cover both :D

andygy
30-11-2003, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by H.7
[B]Thanks, Andy,

They're 284mm in diameter INSERT INTO post VALUES (as opposed to the 294mm or 302mm that I expected

That's comfirm it is from the Evo 4 rear which is the same as the VR4 original.The EVO7 rear is actually 300mm in dia.It is actually not too late to have the Evo 7 rear rotor on your ride,all you need to do is put 3mm of washer back and the 7 rotor on your caliper which is the thickness that you had it skimmed and you are back to it.Just my little idea..
P/S can you please if it is not a trouble to you,if it is ok to find out the price of the APracing 6 pot caliper front rotor part number CP3580-2899G8.Thanks in advance