PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! Lean Fuel

lo-fasty
25-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Bit of a long story but just wanted to warn people. I fitted a boost gauge and Air/fuel gauge last week, all was fine but then my boost gauge stopped working (only pipe on rear of gauge). After reconnected I found that at over 5000rpm the fuel was running VERY lean. Only way I cured this was to reset the ECU. So be warned if I had not had an air/fuel gauge I would not have know the damage I was causing to my car. Very worrying /Grrr All fine now though:2thumbsup

bernmc
25-04-2006, 07:29 PM
Odd. Most of these things run as rich as a rich thing.

btw, were you having your car cleaned in Nuneaton today (Tuesday)?

Kenneth
25-04-2006, 08:40 PM
If you rev your engine with no load (ie in neutral) you will find it runs a little lean. Say between 16:1 and 17:1 AFR.

lo-fasty
25-04-2006, 08:48 PM
That's where I work, I fit in car tv's PS2, Alarms ect... It was while driving it ran lean and only after I had a boost leak. Just thought I'd warn people if they do not have a air/fuel meter this would be hard to notice. and only fixed when ecu reset

triniVr4
27-04-2006, 05:34 AM
im discovering th same thing.that and the engine "oings" slightly under load...any word on that?

lo-fasty
27-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Mine's running lean again over 5000rpm /Grrr Any ideas would be a great help? Did seem to cure for a few days when i reset the ecu, but not no more /pan /Grrr /help

bernmc
28-04-2006, 07:54 AM
What's the AFR?

Are you coming to the Silverstone dyno meet? Could get a proper set of measurements there...

Possibilities.... dying fuel pump, dying fuel pump reg?

And was that you heading out of Cov towards Jn2 of the M6 yesterday, or is there another purple VR$ in Town :o???

The Vee
28-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Interesting, just wondering whether it may be worth getting your a/f readings checked. Bmc's thoughts on f/p and fpr are just, but I had a similar thing recently. I had the ecu (battery) disconnected and then connected it all just before a long run. It ran as rich as a rich thing and stank. Fuel consumption also went up considerably. After that tankfull it got better and better as the ecu re learnt what settings to give. Resetting the ecu puts the memory back to "factory" base settings and it learns from there.

lo-fasty
28-04-2006, 06:32 PM
It was me i would guess although there is another estate galant same colour in coventry although I don't think it's a VR4. Sorry I didn't see you or was you not in yours? Am looking into getting time off work for the dyno meet can I just turn up on the day and run? or need to pre-book?