PDA

View Full Version : 2.5 v6 cambelt service.

glover
25-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Long post but bear with me..

New galant owner with car at 48000m but coming up to 5 years old. So getting a cambelt service done soon. Also got a bit of a "chirp" on one of the belts so im going to ask them to look at that. just seen these on fleabay..

e bay stuff linky (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4634714802&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1)

Is it worth doing these bearings as well or just go for the standard belt change?

also when do the auxillary belts need changing? would it be worth doing these at the same time do you think?

Also slightly worryingly my engine has got a pronounced whine. when idling, whether gears are selected or not as soon as you give it a few revs it goes?. Had a good look at the belts on sunday but I cant see or hear where its coming from although it sounds like its from the left side of the engine where the pulleys are.

Anyone got any idea what it might be? how do i go about checking it out?.

all help much appreciated.

glover

Nick Mann
25-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Some people say do everything, some say just do whats necessary at the time. Your choice!

I would change all the belts at 5 years old. The accessory belts will be taken off anyway to do the cambelt and non-mitsy items are not expensive. There can't be any extra labour charge! Hopefully new belts will solve the whine too.

Kieran
25-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Camskill recommend that the idler and tensioner bearings are replaced along with the cambelt. And as waterpumps (in general, not just Mitsy) have been known to shred the cambelt if they go awry, that kit makes sense to me.

glover
25-04-2006, 10:23 PM
what other belts are there to change?

richy rich
25-04-2006, 10:25 PM
i would do as nick said change all belts at the age and not knowing the history

the priceses on the stuff seems expensive to i payed less than that for my vr4(but they were from my mates garage so didn't pay as much)

Nick Mann
25-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Other belts? I was talking about cam belt, plus 2 aux belts (p/s, air con, alternator) but I assumed from your post that you were asking about them?

glover
25-04-2006, 11:23 PM
I was asking just in case there were more belts i didnt know about!

Ive talked to the guy and for £125.00 i get.

cambelt, cambelt tensioner bearing, idler tensioner bearing, a new waterpump and a fuel filter.

and for £21 i can get the aux belts from camskill (Im presuming the standard v6 belts are the same as the vr4)

does that sound like a good deal?.

That should bring the price of my service down considerably. (i hope!)

Also spark plugs, Ive searched the site and there are differing views on plugs for the v6. platinum or irridium? vr4's having a different gap to standard v6'6 can someone tell me where to get the cheapest best quality plugs for my v6 from.

thanks.

KEENY
26-04-2006, 07:24 PM
my galant was also chucking out a whine noise as well. samething when i gave the car some revs it went.

it turned out to be my altanator belt. i tightend it up and it cured it.