PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler Sizes

pezza
26-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Lo folks,

I just had a quick question to find out if anyone running an upgraded intercooler has gone for a unit thats smaller that 300mm high (I have just seen a similar reference raised in another thread but wanted to create thread specifically)

If so, what size, brand etc?

As summer draws in *Hoping not to cast jinx on the sunshine* I have already started to the feel the effect of the warmer ambient air .. or rather, the ill-effects :thinking: I remember how gutless the car felt in comparison to colder times on those sultry days last year..

I was wondering, also whether, if at all, there is another air temperature sensor apart from the MAF which measures air temperature in the air intake pipe...It may also be beneficial to monitor both in and out air temps to/from the intercooler.....:thinking:

bradc
26-04-2006, 08:19 PM
I wanted to get a 600x200x100mm intercooler for mine but I simply couldn't find one at all, and to get one custom made would be very expensive. The standard bumper and most aftermarket ones only have 170-190mm space between the top and bottom of the hole anyway, so a 300mm one is wasted.

I don't know if there is another temperature sensor, what I can tell you is that on Kenneths 600x300x76mm intercooler the exit side of the intercooler is always cold to touch, it is quite impressive.

Wodjno
26-04-2006, 09:08 PM
The standard bumper and most aftermarket ones only have 170-190mm space between the top and bottom of the hole anyway, so a 300mm one is wasted.

I don't know if there is another temperature sensor, what I can tell you is that on Kenneths 600x300x76mm intercooler the exit side of the intercooler is always cold to touch, it is quite impressive.

That doesn't sound like it's wasted.. :speechles

Kenneth
26-04-2006, 09:18 PM
An intercooler has 2 properties

1) Heat exchanger
2) Heat sink

With a 600*300 intercooler, a fair bit of the heat exchanger is wasted as it is behind bumper and gets no air flowing through it.

However because it is bigger, it means it can take more heat from the compressed air without the intercooler temperature increasing by much. This of course is the heat sink.

My front bumper is also very good at providing heat exchange, as the air is forced to go through the intercooler rather than being able to go around the sides.

bradc
27-04-2006, 01:26 AM
what he said ^

valmes
27-04-2006, 01:01 PM
"It is not necessary for the duct inlet to be as big as the frontal area of the IC core. A rule of thumb is that the duct inlet should be at least one-fourth the core area." Chapter 5: Intercooling. "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell.

pezza
04-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Hmm car feeling gutless at standard boost in this *warm* weather...

Need some cold cold cold air :thinking:

Wodjno
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
Hmm car feeling gutless at standard boost in this *warm* weather...

Need some cold cold cold air :thinking:
:D

Try rediverting your Airconditioning feed pipe straight into your Air intake :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

pezza
04-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks Wodj... am sure that will help /pan I was thinking along the lines of more efficient intercooler tho /yes

Wodjno
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks Wodj... am sure that will help /pan I was thinking along the lines of more efficient intercooler tho /yes

Hey !! Don't knock it, til you tried it :2thumbsup

Wodjno
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM

pezza
04-05-2006, 05:24 PM
Have you managed to sort out taking inlet temp readings just as something to monitor on your e-manage?

I guess this summer you shouldn't suffer the same fate as last year at silverstone for the sprint run...see if you can keep sub 5.5 second 0-60 as opposed to what in the heat? :happy:

Wodjno
04-05-2006, 06:54 PM