PDA

View Full Version : Beware of odometers

Rossco Type-S
29-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Watch out if you are buying a new import VR4!!!

For the past month or so I have been trying to buy a replacement VR4 with 60,000kms or less out of Japan. I have made enquires on about 8 cars, and of those 7 had replacement odometers in them. There is no doubt dealers would try and sell these cars in NZ if they can get them past customs.

mpau009
29-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Watch out if you are buying a new import VR4!!!

For the past month or so I have been trying to buy a replacement VR4 with 60,000kms or less out of Japan. I have made enquires on about 8 cars, and of those 7 had replacement odometers in them. There is no doubt dealers would try and sell these cars in NZ if they can get them past customs.

Yeah, iv given up caring about the readings after i got caught out so bad last time. My current car has very low k's, the old interior was mint, including the leather on the wheel, but the body condition would be a little hard pressed to justify it. As you say, passing a customs ceck and VIR is good for selling it in NZ, but doesn't really mean a whole lot.

I have/would buy soley on mechanical appraisal these days.

I think your best bet is to buy through a close friend or family member who imports so they are less likely to try and make a quick $

..and yes they can and do wind back the digital odometers.

bernmc
29-04-2006, 07:27 AM
In the UK, we have an organisation called BIMTA which can carry out history and mileage checks on Jap imports (thread here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7950&highlight=BIMTA)) - don't you have an eqivalent in NZ?

Rossco Type-S
29-04-2006, 08:30 AM
Yeah there are several organisations that do it. Its not compulsory though.

detonate
30-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Mine has very low km's which i was dubious about. However both exterior and interior (in my opinion) reflected the low usage, plus they had the odo checks done, and even 'forensic' checking done (where they go through the records in Japan and see if they match up).

I guess you can never really tell though, especially with our digital ones that can be reprogrammed via a plug-in console port. But my VTNZ mechanical check ticked everything in the "Very good for age" box, except the compression, which was ticked both Very Good, and Average.

meh, I'm happy with mine :D