PDA

View Full Version : Broke *ANOTHER* power steering pump

OSiRiS
01-05-2006, 01:47 AM
Hey guys just an update if anyone is interested lol

Broke another power steering pump, doing helis again. Got about 10 360s before I realised the steering gone stiff.

Also laid to rest many cars that evening ;)

So it brings me to this; to do the cambelt, waterpump, all other stuff that needs to be done at the same time AND power steering pump.

Hmmm.

What else should I do while I'm there? What parts do I need?

$$$

bradc
01-05-2006, 01:57 AM
Due to the fact you don't have a license, I'm assuming your girlfriend was doing the heli's on a private road in a fully legal fashion?

OSiRiS
01-05-2006, 01:59 AM
Uhhh, don't you know? I've got my own private dragstrip.

Anyways, lol, that's 2 power steering pumps so far. Has anyone else had problems with their pumps? I know one other person who's pump has died upon doing helis too.

bradc
01-05-2006, 02:06 AM
I think the moral is to not do heli's in a vr4....

OSiRiS
01-05-2006, 02:11 AM
Yea I think so too. But it does put on an impressive show LOL!

Anyone done a cambelt recently? Care to share the costs and experience involved?

Xeroid
01-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Steering pump about $1400 + labour, thats what the last mechanical insurance had to pay out on the 96 VR4 ..... which cost $1300 for three years cverage !!!

muahahahahaha !!!!!!

Funny thing was that it failed when the mechanic took it for a test drive after some recall work and as he drove back into the service yard parking area ...

Cam belt was about $1300 but did all plugs and full service as well, can't remember what else was replaced.

OSiRiS
01-05-2006, 09:29 AM
****!

My last p/steering pump was I think $200 from kempys. I put a post here somewhere I'll have to dig it up later.

I've also got a quote from Mitsi which is REALLY cheap, I'll scan it later on.

jervis
01-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Yea I think so too. But it does put on an impressive show LOL!

Anyone done a cambelt recently? Care to share the costs and experience involved?

I got a quote from midas for the cambelt + idlers a few days ago, $550 or something they reckon - certainly no more than 6.. sounds good to me..

OSiRiS
01-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I got a quote from midas for the cambelt + idlers a few days ago, $550 or something they reckon - certainly no more than 6.. sounds good to me..

Wow does that include labour? Is that all new parts?

How many hours do they require?

mpau009
01-05-2006, 11:04 AM
That sounds about right, my V6 non turbo was $695 for Cambelt, and three platinum plugs for the rear bank (about $120 worth) Therd be a bit more labour involved in doing the VR4, but surely it cant be much.

That was last year, so it might have gone up a touch since then.