PDA

View Full Version : Reflections on a week on Skye

g6acb
03-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Just got back from a week away on Skye... 1200 mile round trip, good weather (well didn't get wet), found some snow in the Cullin mountains, great roads :2thumbsup , too many kills to list but an aston -(who I caught off guard and overtook but he mullered me on the next straight bit of road/help ) and a BMW 840ci that I overtook on the entry to the road around Loch Lomond and held him off until Crainlairich when he put the hammer down and got nicked by the motorbike police.... oh how we laughed :scholar: - will stick in the memory.

A list of discoveries made this week...

1) It is possible to get 500 miles from a tank of fuel in a 2.0 16v ( If you turn the radio up when the girlfriend says she doesn't want to play russian roulette with the fuel guage)

2) It is possible to get from 'Highlander Castle' to Fort William with the fuel warning light on - 70 miles (see above)

3) It will cost over £60 to fill up when you get there

4) The Galant is pretty stable with all 4 wheels of the ground

5) Salmon Foam Soup with Bread and Butter Ice cream is not the greatest after a few beers :5shots:

6) The sight of the Facelift galant in the rear view mirror scares the SH1t out of French tourists who will pull into the nearest passing space and let you by thinking 'what the hell is that'

7) This is probably one of the best roads in the world ever.....

a few more pictures.... tomorrow i will be mostly removing brake dust from wheels....... oh and I 'bagged' a brace of pheasants on the way home - I haven't really inspected the damage yet

dreamer
03-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Just got back from a week away on Skye... 1200 mile round trip, good weather (well didn't get wet), found some snow in the Cullin mountains, great roads :2thumbsup , too many kills to list but an aston -(who I caught off guard and overtook but he mullered me on the next straight bit of road/help ) and a BMW 840ci that I overtook on the entry to the road around Loch Lomond and held him off until Crainlairich when he put the hammer down and got nicked by the motorbike police.... oh how we laughed :scholar: - will stick in the memory.

Nice photos. Already saved them to my archive of Tasteful VR-4 Scenery backdrops.

Looks like alot of fun

KiwiTT
03-05-2006, 05:01 AM
I have made it my new background

bradc
03-05-2006, 07:02 AM
Richard, just edit the number plate to your's, the cars are almost identical :)

Great looking pic there G6, hopefully you scared a lot of french tourists! The facelift bumper is very agressive, especially with all the lights on.

Spirit
03-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a great trip, and definately a pic in there which could be a contender for the 2007 calendar :2thumbsup

Nick VR4
03-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Nice Pics glad you had a good time

Salmon Foam Soup with Bread and Butter Ice cream doesnt sound good at all

I-S
03-05-2006, 08:34 AM
Awesome. Thanks for posting these... I've been thinking about a trip to Skye and the western isles. Now I'm thinking about it some more.

BraindG
03-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Nice Pics, not so far from where I used to live! Great scenery up there, great roads perfect VR4 territory :D

Wouter
03-05-2006, 09:27 AM
It sounds like you had fun!

The pictures are briliant as well :thumbsup:

WildCards
03-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Great pix

g6acb
03-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Richard, just edit the number plate to your's, the cars are almost identical :)

/haz just lost a couple of hair dryers and 150 ponies along the way!!!!

g6acb
03-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Awesome. Thanks for posting these... I've been thinking about a trip to Skye and the western isles. Now I'm thinking about it some more.

Well worth the trip - time of year to go depends on what you want to do April (if you get good weather) very good for scenery with snow capped mountains but it adds an 'interesting' twist :scholar: if climbing the things is your bag.....

Late September with the heathers and still long evenings and more reliable weather also very good.....

Not much in the way of good Mountain Biking on Skye.... but then again why would you drive past 7stanes???

Isle of Arran pretty good too on a smaller scale and a lot closer to home but the ferry is ££££

strangebat
04-05-2006, 10:14 PM
glad you enjoyed it. I have to take a run up around there quite often. the view is never the same nomatter how many times you do it.

I quite often wish I was there in my car rather than the works transit:thinking:

HJM
04-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Very pretty and great pics :2thumbsup

Could do with a holiday somewhere scenic myself................

J :happy:

BraindG
04-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Theres a great place Called Gairloch (my home village) great roads, nice scenery (exactly like pics above) and Dads on the local radio! :D

Darren
05-05-2006, 05:01 PM
I got married on skye. I had the 2.0 gls then and whilst it was amazing fun, i came home and bought the vr4. my gls kept bottoming out and just didn't have the grunt i wanted. the funniest bit was when we picked up a hiker from LA. we were doing a ciruit of the northern part of the island from portree and back again. the hiker had got lost and needed to be back in Portree sharpish and since we were headed back there via the sceninc route i said no problem. He asked asked if he could eat his sandwich in the back and Lisa say no problem (DOH). When I looked in the mirror he looked like one of those scouts on jim'll fix it. 10 minutes later Lisa and I had completely forgot about him and I was driving like a complete loon enjoying the roads etc and he pipes up, "what's the speed limit?" and I say "no idea mate" his reply "how fast we going" me "50" Lisa "120" him " you guys drive fast in this country huh?" me "everyone from England drives fast in Scotland mate it's tradition" :P

I can also recommend Applecross were I used to live, blasting across the pass (Belach na Baa) is just the maddest thing you can do in a VR4 :D