PDA

View Full Version : Uprated Brakes

Rikki
04-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I was looking at a few posts yesterday stating that you are able to fit Evo Brembo calipers onto a VR4 without problem...... can you do something similar with the V6 Sport?

bradc
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
If you V6 has 4 stud hub's then the best thing you can look for is upgraded evo1-3 brakes, or you could just go with the standard pads and fluid upgrade and see if that makes a big enough differance.

Rikki
04-05-2006, 10:36 AM
has anyone had any problems with just replacing discs, pads and fluid? I replaced them on my GLS and they warped, and they were Drilled and Grooved and also had Red Stuff pads :S. i was thinking that the brake upgrade might be better in the long run, financially. anyone had similar problems / solutions?

Nick Mann
04-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Never had a problem with my V6's. But they were manual, not auto, and as such were a whole lot lighter than my VR4.

I would assume that bradc is correct with the evo brake suggestion. He tends to know his stuff! Some V6's already have the pre-facelift VR4 caliper, which takes the same pad as the evo 4, but the discs are not interchangeable due to the number of studs.

Rikki
05-05-2006, 08:18 AM
that might be worth investigating, cheers. its going into Mits tomoz for a 'check-up' but after that I will look at replacing the discs.
cheers again :d

Kenneth
05-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Despite what people keep saying... the standard brakes are fine unless you are tracking your car and want to push your times as much as poss...

Why pay heaps for an upgrade when $45NZD will give you pads that can stop even under these conditions??? this was after about 1km and the time it took me to get my phone camera into night mode ;)

Rikki
05-05-2006, 08:41 AM
Despite what people keep saying... the standard brakes are fine unless you are tracking your car and want to push your times as much as poss...

Why pay heaps for an upgrade when $45NZD will give you pads that can stop even under these conditions??? this was after about 1km and the time it took me to get my phone camera into night mode ;)

:d nice pic. whats the recommended pads? was using EBC Red Stuff on the GLS.

Kenneth
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
:d nice pic. whats the recommended pads? was using EBC Red Stuff on the GLS.

look around for recomendations... the Ferodo DS2500 i think are recomended?

I just used cheap silverline plus... they do the trick and are not tooo expensive to replace (which happens often when you make em work that hard)

Rikki
05-05-2006, 08:48 AM
yeah i have seen a few posts recommending the Ferodo. I have never really had a problem with the pads, always the discs that go! either warped or juddery. i know the judder is normal on Galants but should the warping be?

bradc
05-05-2006, 08:54 AM
I haven't had any juddering or warping on either of my Legnums, but as Kenneth said, for a normal V6 you should be fine with upgraded pads.

Rikki
05-05-2006, 09:04 AM
cool ill try the pad change (needs them anyway) and hope everything works ok. My GLSi had major problems with the brakes which is why i replaced them very early on when i bought the GLS. they juddered a bit but nothing bad. things went tits-up when some guy decided to pull out in front of me at 130mph! heavy judder now :?

BraindG
05-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Don't know if you bedded your discs/pads in when you bought them, but thats required. Something like x amount of 50% braking for x amount of time..

If this wasn't done, it might explain "warpage"?

Rikki
05-05-2006, 11:37 AM
i attempted to bed them in for 2 weeks however you get the odd driver that can never decide what lane they want n dont know what wing mirrors are....ill try harder this time lol

WildCards
05-05-2006, 11:38 AM
Were the discs fitted corrrectly? you need a nice even surface under the Hub to disc contact, and make sure your wheels are bolted with an even amount of torque through each stud, otherwise that'll bugger them too.

Rikki
05-05-2006, 12:02 PM
never thought of that!
local garage fitted them, cant say i have many problems off him in the past. the discs are Rossini - anyone heard of them?

WildCards
05-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Kieran is a big fan of Rossini discs, never heard of them other than his mentioning. Do a search for Rossini, not sure you'll have access to some of the threads but worth a try.

Nick Mann
05-05-2006, 01:38 PM
As well as bedding in, correct useage should be understood. Most judder/warping is not the fault of the brakes, but the fault of the user. Read this post:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1139

g6acb
05-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Were the discs fitted corrrectly? you need a nice even surface under the Hub to disc contact, and make sure your wheels are bolted with an even amount of torque through each stud, otherwise that'll bugger them too.

This is a very valid point... I had all sorts of problems with the brakes on my old GLS after the discs and pads were changed.... the root of all the problems was some lazy greasemonkey not cleaning up the face of the hub before the new discs went on.....

Moral of the story, if you want a job doing properly...... join CVR-4 , look at all the lovley how to guides, and learn to do it yourself :scholar:

Rikki
05-05-2006, 02:00 PM
This is a very valid point... I had all sorts of problems with the brakes on my old GLS after the discs and pads were changed.... the root of all the problems was some lazy greasemonkey not cleaning up the face of the hub before the new discs went on.....

Moral of the story, if you want a job doing properly...... join CVR-4 , look at all the lovley how to guides, and learn to do it yourself :scholar:

would be an idea eh?? :P i take some responsibilty for the wear on the disc, i am not the slowest driver in the world, but in fairness that was why i bought the upgrade. i might try n get mits or another garage to fit them, see if it makes much difference.

ritch_w
05-05-2006, 02:08 PM
paid up members get a discount on "National" discs and pads (discount is more than the membership fee so worth it ;) ) this generally regarded as 1st upgrade to vr4 brakes before moving to EVO stuff, so i'm sure it would be the same for the v6.

Rikki
05-05-2006, 02:13 PM
paid up members get a discount on "National" discs and pads (discount is more than the membership fee so worth it ;) ) this generally regarded as 1st upgrade to vr4 brakes before moving to EVO stuff, so i'm sure it would be the same for the v6.

i was gonna become paid up soon, gives me even more reason to do so now :d

Rikki
08-05-2006, 01:56 PM
well i have now paid up, so i should be a fully comp member soon :D. the car was in Mits at the weekend - needs new rear bearing (hub) and exhaust downpipe (i think its the downpipe anyways). also requires a shock and replacement brake pads. now would be a good time to get the "national" upgrade i guess.

Axeboy
08-05-2006, 03:36 PM
Downpipes are being looked at by richy rich and co here...

Worthwhile mod...

Join in the group buy!

Rikki
08-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Downpipes are being looked at by richy rich and co here...

Worthwhile mod...

Join in the group buy!

lol i have just told Mits to go ahead n order the parts, seems there is a backlog of 8 days for it!/pan

WildCards
08-05-2006, 03:44 PM
You have time to cancel then!