PDA

View Full Version : theres a "clunk" i get when...

triniVr4
05-05-2006, 06:21 AM
if the car is in motion and i "blip" the throttle to keep up speed...the tranny seems so "lay away" and then yu get this "clunk" as it goes into gear...most harrowing and annoying....

any thoughts on this?

Kieran
05-05-2006, 07:20 AM
Sounds to me like a torn engine or transmission mounting. The US guys with Eclipses and Steaths/3000GTs say that the standard mounts are only good for about 60,000 miles, and that's with no abuse or hard use.

triniVr4
06-05-2006, 05:05 AM
hmmm...will chk this weekend.....

Kieran
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I would start with the mounts on the rear of the gearbox and the front crossmember - the ones stopping the engine rocking backwards and forwards. These seem very small, and both of mine have been torn to bits!/help

d3x
06-05-2006, 01:43 PM
I would start with the mounts on the rear of the gearbox and the front crossmember - the ones stopping the engine rocking backwards and forwards. These seem very small, and both of mine have been torn to bits!/help

blimey, when you say torn to bits do you mean literally??

macbaileyjr
06-05-2006, 02:34 PM
trini I got a similar problem tmy transmission mount and i think the left side one is gone.
Do you get a kinda vibration when u put your foot on the pedal rest next to the center console cus i do and the passenger feels a kinda vibration/shum when going above 50.
I am getting mine done end of the month 650 usd plus installation

Kieran
06-05-2006, 03:43 PM
blimey, when you say torn to bits do you mean literally??

Not far off. Still to fix them. The ones in the top photos on this page are a little worse than mine. The mount in the black shell looks just like the centre member roll stopper on my car. The silver shelled one in that photo looks worse than the comparable mounts on my car, but not by much!:inquisiti

http://www.3sxperformance.com/engine-mounts.asp