PDA

View Full Version : Urgent info required

DirtySanchez
14-10-2003, 11:01 PM
Hi everyone.
On the holy quest to get my Skyline R34 i've been offered a VR4 Legnum twin turbo INSERT INTO post VALUES (manual) to play about with for a while, I'm after info on any common problems with these cars and what to look out for when buying them, the vehicle is a fresh import and waiting to be registered so i can't contact the last owner any help would be appreciated.

Ian

Brind
14-10-2003, 11:45 PM
Hello mate, welcome to the site.

The best advice would be to read what others have said.
In general these cars are very reliable! but any car can be built on a Friday.
They are built very well, and quality is very high.
Problems with the AYC, gearbox oil seals, ticky engines - usual Mitsubishi problem which effects all models..

DirtySanchez
18-10-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanx for replying m8, are there any givaway signs with the AYC to tell if it has a problem i can get my head round the general things that go wrong with cars but not with more advanced technical problems.

Ian

Brind
18-10-2003, 06:06 PM
Hello mate.

I actually had a problem with my AYC, I was coming back from the first ClubVR-4 meet and noticed the red warning AYC light was on.
The car felt no different although I did have an odd knocking sound seemingly coming from my front right wheel area, the sound went after my AYC pump was replaced under warranty.. so whether the two problems were associated I don't really know.

After starting the car the red AYC light came on like all the others such as SRS, OIL, ABS etc and went off after each component was checked, however after the first tightish corner the AYC light would come back on showing a fault.
I may have just been lucky and had a simple fault so that could be no indication what the AYC could do to give you the impression something is wrong.

£2,000+ problem either way.

DirtySanchez
18-10-2003, 06:38 PM
Cheers m8 i'll keep my eye out for that when i go and take a look on monday, thanx again.

Ian

Ultra VR-4
20-10-2003, 03:23 AM
hey i have my car serviced every 10,000kms to keep up with my warrenty,
would you say it would be a major to miss out on changing the ayc fluid?

chris g
20-10-2003, 03:59 PM
YES! DEF A MAJOR MISTAKE TO MISS OUT CHANGING AYC

Brind
20-10-2003, 09:44 PM
Yep.. big mistake, not only you risk your warranty but the oil has to be changed for a reason, the last thing you want is to pay out mega bucks to get the whole setup repaired when a simple oil change could prevent problems like that happening.

-LegnumVR4-
21-10-2003, 08:53 AM
Every 20000km get the AYC serviced.

chris g
21-10-2003, 09:00 AM
in UK that's 4500 miles!

Ultra VR-4
21-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Every 20000km get the AYC serviced.

Are you sure? well if thats the case, I dont need to change the AYC, cause it was changed during last service 10,000kms ago! Thats if they changed it at all.
Is it an expensive oil, and is it hard to change or do you just flip a cap and pour it in?

-LegnumVR4-
21-10-2003, 08:55 PM
Thats what my dealer said when i had the oil changed and bleed. They are Mitsubishi NZ that I take the car to get service, work on the cars all the time.

-LegnumVR4-
21-10-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Ultra VR-4
Are you sure? well if thats the case, I dont need to change the AYC, cause it was changed during last service 10,000kms ago! Thats if they changed it at all.
Is it an expensive oil, and is it hard to change or do you just flip a cap and pour it in?

It's about $200nz for an oil change and bleed. The way the dealer can check your AYC oil is to look at the oil from the diff to see if it's getting burnt.