PDA

View Full Version : Front / Rear Wheel Lockup!

legnum diff
06-05-2006, 11:02 AM
G'day
I've got a legnum 2.5 v6 4wd tiptronic.
When turning tight corners the tyres scuff & fight each other.
Its like haveing a diff lock engaged.

Has anyone experienced this with their Legnum?
My flatmate had this happen once in his 1800 4wd, but this one does it all the time...
Appreciate any feed back
thanks.

bradc
06-05-2006, 11:55 PM
I haven't heard of that. It might be an idea to take it to mitsi and get them to look at the transfer case, maybe it is seized, or it might have just run out of oil?

legnum diff
07-05-2006, 02:18 AM
Thanks Brad for the suggestion.
The car's not road legal at this point.
Does the transfer case have a seperate oil supply to the transmission?

legnum diff
07-05-2006, 02:21 AM
I've only seen one other person on the net with this problem...... no one answered his question so it must be a rare fault....

bernmc
07-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Does the transfer case have a seperate oil supply to the transmission?

Yes. Different type of oil. There's an article in the members' area on how to check & change it. Here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3851).

legnum diff
07-05-2006, 09:16 AM
bernmc the link doesn't work. Says I don't have permission to access the page.
I'm wandering if the centre diff is the culprit here.... dunno thou. It is supplied with the same fluid as the rest of the auto transmission right?

Kieran
07-05-2006, 09:32 AM
There isn't a centre diff. On the output side of the gearbox, you just have the transfer box (GL-5 oil) and the rear diff/AYC casing. The diff again takes GL-5, the AYC clutch bath takes ATF.

legnum diff
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
"There isn't a centre diff. On the output side of the gearbox, you just have the transfer box (GL-5 oil) and the rear diff/AYC casing. The diff again takes GL-5, the AYC clutch bath takes ATF."

OK so the transfer box is responsible for power distribution to the front / rear?
This model doesn't have AYC as far as I'm aware. (I haven't seen anything on it mentioning AYC)

bradc
07-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Your car won't have AYC, only certain VR-4 models have it. As we've said, you're probably best to take it to mitsi, there isn't much else we can suggest unfortunately.

Nick Mann
07-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Gearbox and transfer box definitely have seperate oil feeds! And take different grades too.

Good luck in your ongoing investigation - sorry we haven't been much help!

bernmc
07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
bernmc the link doesn't work. Says I don't have permission to access the page.

You need to cough up your member's fee to gain access to the members area. Lots of useful stuff in there...:deal2:

legnum diff
08-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Ok guys,
Appreciate the imput. The local mitsi agent isn't much help here... I'll have to search the www a bit harder. Strange thing is the flatmates car did the same thing today when he was backing & turning. tyres scuffed & a big BANG as the drive shafts released.
Thanks for the help :)

Nutter_John
08-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Just had a thought - and please by all means shoot me down if I'm talking out of my botty .

Have you got the same size wheel and tyres alround , I was thinking about windup on the transmission

Cheers John

legnum diff
09-05-2006, 01:16 AM
Hi John
Yes all tyres are the same. Running in a straight line there's no problem, even around most corners it's not noticable, but try a full lock turn or even 3/4 lock & you'll get wind up that'll stop the car from free wheeling, Apply power & BANG! tyres scuffing etc. The drive shaft even contacts the shaft tunnel for a brief peroid untill all wheels are un loaded.
The effect is very much like "wind up" or when you have a diff lock engaged on a 4wd.