PDA

View Full Version : Cusco Anti Roll Bars

Axeboy
06-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Hi All

Just a heads up that funky are selling cusco uprated anit roll bars for the vr4...

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=444002867

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/images/products/cusco_swaybars_thumb.jpg

soapy1978
06-05-2006, 04:03 PM
what difference would this make fitting it to our cars

Axeboy
06-05-2006, 04:33 PM
Im not the man in the know but i reckon theyll reduce roll a bit more and help handling...

One of the more educated members may assist here.

Kenneth
06-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Anti-Roll bars:

These connect both left and right suspension assemblies.
When one wheel move upward (hitting a bump etc) it transmits torsional torque to the other end and attempts to also lift the other wheel.

In normal driving, this makes bugger all difference. straight up and down movement (bumps on the road) will cause the car to go up and down as usual. the anti-roll bar will contribute a little to the total amount that the car changes height, but not a lot.

Where it becomes important is when you go around a corner. When you go around a corner and you get body-roll, one side of the suspension is trying to compress (the outside) and one side is tring to lengthen (the inside). In effect you can be getting double the suspension travel as one side compresses and the other unloads

This situation obviously is not ideal as it makes the car feel like it wants to tip over. Result is poor handling.

Solution is to tie both sides together so that when the outide compresses, it limits the amount of extension in the inside wheels.

Uprated anti-roll bars are usually thicker bar, which transmits more force to the other suspension assembly and doesnt let the inside wheels lift so much.

The downside to anti-roll bars is that this behaviour can cause you to pick up an inside wheel and loosing traction with one tyre. You can help this by lowering the car.

soapy1978
06-05-2006, 11:35 PM
thanks for that kenneth that a great help so would you by the one out the link or leave the bar as it is my car has already been lowered aswell

Kenneth
06-05-2006, 11:58 PM
I couldn't comment without having tried it.

If it was me, I think I would give it a go. If you are into cornering fast, upgraded anti-roll bars should help.

Axeboy
07-05-2006, 12:52 AM
They do front & rear on that site....

I only linked the rear as an example

thehedgepig
08-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Just to show my complete ineptitude in all things vehicular..../duh

Where does that fit? /pan

Would it compromise the internal boot space? mine has one on the front under the bonnet but how do I know if I have one at the rear?

Kieran
08-05-2006, 09:32 PM
THe one under the bonnet is not a anti-roll bar. That's a strut brace. It helps prevent the inner wings and strut towers flexing when you fling the Legnum into a corner!

The anti-roll bars you see there fit under the car. You already have one on the front and rear axles, these are just uprated.

thehedgepig
08-05-2006, 10:06 PM
THe one under the bonnet is not a anti-roll bar. That's a strut brace. It helps prevent the inner wings and strut towers flexing when you fling the Legnum into a corner!

The anti-roll bars you see there fit under the car. You already have one on the front and rear axles, these are just uprated.

Told you I know nothing :speechles :happy: :speechles :happy:

Should have stuck to bikes I think....

Kieran
08-05-2006, 10:10 PM
Told you I know nothing :speechles :happy: :speechles :happy:

Should have stuck to bikes I think....

Heh! Funny you should mention bikes.... I don't 'do' bikes and as such, I'm a complete /dunce around them!!