PDA

View Full Version : i got a vr4 97 need the lifters, anyone ?

ARPN
06-05-2006, 04:49 PM
i live in the dominican republic hope u guys knows were that is, i got a mitsubishi galant vr4 97 from japan, my cars is making a noise when i start it in the morning and when the oil warms the noise began to stop, i just need the part no. of the lifter and someone that can be able to look them up for me over there in canada and send them over to the D.R. need the price too. are they different from the normal vr ? any help ?

Kieran
06-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Hiya - Welcome to ClubVR-4!

We visited the Dominican last year - what a lovely country!

Anyhow - Camskill will ship a set to you - you may need to call them to find out shipping prices. They're not cheap though!

www.camskill.co.uk

BraindG
06-05-2006, 05:10 PM
/Wyhy & /Welcome - have you tried doing a few engine oil flushes?

soapy1978
06-05-2006, 05:18 PM
hi and welcome to the club

if you join up you get discounts and lots more help from the members page's

ARPN
12-05-2006, 06:45 PM
i been all over the DR and i still cant find the lifters.. i tryed with the page u gave me but i didnt find them either, mitsubishi motors from here has like 8 lifters that are the same that uses my car but i need 24, and beside they are WAY expencive so i gonna have to put olds back on the car.. another thing is that i found another problem the car has the valve gasket this car used two, one of them its leaking oil inside of one of the sparks i think number 6 or number 1 so there u guys have it.. any help provide would be greatfull thx!

Spirit
12-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Here's the exact link to Camskill's advert for the lifters if it helps http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b406s1399p6268

ARPN
13-05-2006, 02:39 AM
thx u all for the help.. but heres a new story guys.. as i know you guys might be interested in solving this problem.. i love my car.. this is the only galant vr4 of this contry and i mean... my car is the only one in here.. heres the thing. i put 2 gauges today on the car.. one for the boost and the other one for the oil.. as soon as we start the car we saw something wrong about the oil gauge.. it has no pressure, the car was cool we just start it and it only rised a bit.. so we let the car warm and we push the rpm till 2500 and the lifters sound seems to go away and the pressure of the gauge start to rised, so you know what was our first thougth, the engine its ****ed up, this is a little story about how this lifters start to sound.. my friend who import cars from japan he was the one who brought the car here and every thing, well he used the car like for 2 weeks i hang in the car a couple of times before i bought it so i know that the car was like new.. and the engine didnt have any sound.. this car came here with 47000 km on the odo, it was almost new. One day my friend deside to change the oil of the car just to take care of the engine.. they used an oil filter FRAM, as soon as they start the engine the lifter that never sound before start to sound, i was there that day, so he change the oil filter for a honda one that seens to be bigger, it stop for a little bit but always sounds in the morning since then, when i got the car i bought the original filter from the galant vr the one that use the 2.5 v6-24valve engine and the engine sounds a little bit different but still sounds in the morning.. you guys think that this problem that iam facing now have something to do with the oil filter? i seen the oil filter from the page that u send me and that filter its bigger than the one that i have on my car.. how damage could my engine be ? please answer with sincerly.

Physician
13-05-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Pal,

In respect of the 'lifters' issue I would not be worried that this has anything to do with the oil filter. Fitting the correct filter is obviously important but highly unlikely to be related to the 'lifters' issue. FRAM is a good brand so no worries there.

I'm not sure if you are fully aware of the issue with the lifters. Almost 100% of Galant owners have this problem of the 'tappet sound', certainly when starting up initially, and very often all the time - but slightly less loud once the oil has circulated.

The problem is NOT detrimental to your engine ...... it just sounds bl00dy awful.

So what is the reason for this? ....... When Mitsubishi originally designed the parts they made a small mistake and one small air breather hole was made at too small diameter. Because of this, very small amounts of oil and air get trapped and it makes the tappety sound. Buying a new set of the lifters with a larger diameter hole corrects this problem by allowing free flow.

As Barry mentioned previously ........ initially do an oil flush or two and only use the highest quality engine oil which MUST be FULLY SYNTHETIC.

Good luck ..... :happy:

ARPN
13-05-2006, 02:01 PM
really apreciatte your reply its clears a lot of things out.. but im still worry about the low pressure of the oil that its reading my oil gauge.. this gauge its a cheap one and it doesnt even work with pressure of oil directly like some others that i could trust more that work leading oil directly to the gauge.. so what could you tell me about this low pressure of the oil?

Physician
13-05-2006, 04:57 PM
Ummm, someone with more technical knowledge should answer this but it sounds to me as if the gauge possibly isn't reading correctly.

You previously mentioned that the tappety sound gets better after the oil has started circulating which suggests sufficient pressure ........... but that is NOT a positive confirmation. If you are not getting the red oil warning light coming on - on the dashboard, then it's probably OK.

I think the best thing for you to do is send Kieren an airline ticket as he loves the Dominican Republic .......... he'll get it all sorted for you :happy: :2thumbsup

Anyway, any more questions - just shout as we like to try and help our friends overseas.

calum
13-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I'm not too sure about FRAM being a good brand...unless you're using the FRAM x2.

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/filters.shtml

Calum

The Vee
14-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Is the oil pressure gauge a capillarytype or an electronic sender unit? if it's the latter make sure it's earthed properly and if you used any sealant tape or such on the threads, this impairs electrical contact. While always recommending correct filters, this shouldn't effect pressure unless perhaps in rare circumstances it is completely blocked or has collapsed inside. Some filters have a mechanism to stop the oil running back when the engine is off to reduce the time it takes for the oil to circulate when the engine is started.

ARPN
14-05-2006, 04:39 PM
its an electronic sender unit, im not so sure about it.. because its a cheap one, its from GLOWSHIFT,when im driving the car the oil on the gauge start to rised, yesterday i test it and i accelerated the car 4 gears from the first gear, and it rised to a little more of 50 psi of oil pressure, and the boost gauge went a bar less than the 10 pound of boost, this sugest that the car its runing on 8 or 9 pounds of boost is this the normal pound for a stock vr4 ? im gonna do the flushed tomorrow to see if theres any different in the oil pressure but im sure that this gauge its not good.

ARPN
14-05-2006, 04:47 PM
im thinking about the airline ticket for real :P Hey kieran would you like some piña colada under a coconut tree ? surrounded by sand and a blue water beach !!

The Vee
14-05-2006, 05:30 PM
im thinking about the airline ticket for real :P Hey kieran would you like some piƱa colada under a coconut tree ? surrounded by sand and a blue water beach !!

I've just become Kieran for this offer!!

As for boost, these cars run about 7 or .5 bar stock.