PDA

View Full Version : Hello

matthew slade
15-10-2003, 10:04 AM
Morning all!

I am a newbie here, I trust you are a friendly bunch and are willing to put up with my numerous questions.

Cheers

M

BraindG
15-10-2003, 10:16 AM
:welcome:
theres a wealth of info alreay available on the forums.. but im sure we can assist if thers something missing..

do you own a vr4?

welcome again
Barry

tunes
15-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Welcome aboard. Yeah, everyone on here is a pretty friendly bunch.

matthew slade
15-10-2003, 11:19 AM
I am going to look at one today, they have always appealed to me, but I have yet to have a good look at one.

Basically I need an everyday car that can carry big loads, tow and still have that all important grin factor.

I was wondering what I should be looking for in a secondhand VR4, is there a buying guide somewhere? I have read that the gearboxes can be problematical, is this true?

Your guidance on buying one of these would be gratefully received.

BraindG
15-10-2003, 12:00 PM
im in the middle of a buyers guide.. will take atleast another week to finish though :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( or atleast get first draft up for peoples comments

Nick VR4
15-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Hi and Welcome

Where is this car your looking at local ?

matthew slade
15-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Yes, its in Hemel Hempstead. Where abouts are you in Bucks as I work in and around Bucks. I have offices in Milton Keynes, Leighton Buzzard, Tring and Hemel.

Can I see the draft of your buyers guide as soon as it is ready. I would not want to buy a lemon.

BraindG
15-10-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by matthew slade
Can I see the draft of your buyers guide as soon as it is ready. I would not want to buy a lemon.

yup, once its up for public ridicule

Nick VR4
15-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I'm in Aylesbury
I use to live in Hemel Hempstead for a number of years :eek:

Wow a lot of Offices then ;) INSERT INTO post VALUES (Milton Keynes, Leighton Buzzard, Tring and Hemel.)

matthew slade
15-10-2003, 01:00 PM
It just means that I hot desk and have no fixed location.

Nick VR4
15-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Oh ok
Is this car for sale private or trade ?

matthew slade
15-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Trade, I found it on the autotrader website.

Nick VR4
15-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Ok no problem

good luck looking at the car
Any more infomation you need just shout mate :)

matthew slade
15-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Thanks a lot, it is the first car i've looked at so I am just going to get a feel for it.

Spirit
15-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Welcome to the Club Matthew.

Maybe if you post up some info on the car like age, mileage, warranty cover, service history etc we can give you an idea if the price is right INSERT INTO post VALUES (as Bruce would say). :D

Pescha
15-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Hello, and welcome to the ClubVR-4 family!

The only thing that I can think of is if its an auto, make sure you take it for a looooong test drive and warm up the transmission to make sure that the damperINSERT INTO post VALUES (sp) is not slipping. I got caught with this in March! Also try and get a mechanical warranty with the car as this will prove handy if you have problems INSERT INTO post VALUES (Mitsi parts are expensive)

Cheers, again welcome to the family, all the way from New Zealand!

Pescha!

matthew slade
16-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Thanks for the advice. The car is a 1996 P plate, it has 6months tax, 6months warranty, sva test and 12months MOT. The car is for sale for £5,995.

Spirit
16-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Sounds a bargain mate - would suggest as it's so cheap to get a full AA/RAC inspection carried out and what is the service history and mileage like ?

Nick VR4
16-10-2003, 10:08 AM
Wow £5995
Whats the mileage on it any idea

if its under 100k you might want to get the Red Zebra warranty after the 6 months has finished from the Garage

It also should have a good service record ie. Every 4500 miles

the_boy
16-10-2003, 11:50 AM
Howdy Matthew :cool:

Is the car the one from Keighley?
I scour the Trader that much I pretty know them all off by heart.

Not sure what their rep is like although I think Lisa did speak to them once.

matthew slade
16-10-2003, 05:42 PM
No it is not the one from Keighley, what is this 'red zebra' warranty you talk of:confused:

Nick VR4
16-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Its a Warranty you get from Any Mits garage for the VR4
Price is about £267 covers most parts including MOT failure
but not tyres or exhaust

matthew slade
17-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Cool, thanks for your help:cool:

venomboy
17-10-2003, 11:08 PM
I went to look at that one from keighley, INSERT INTO post VALUES (I live in Leeds). It was cheap but a bit scuffed up interior, tears in roof lining, marked plastic. Obviously used for load carrying. Lowered at the front, wouldn't get over a white line without grounding, no centres for the non-standard alloys. INSERT INTO post VALUES ( though they would swap them over from the silver saloon they had, 5495 and mint, looked real good, but have kids and wife with FTO so need estate) They're getting a blue one in late oct/early Nov, I'll go look at that one. The car at Minns looked good , is that the one you went to see?

matthew slade
18-10-2003, 11:24 AM
The car I have looked at is very straight, there are no signs of overspray anywhere although I suspect the rear may have had some work done on it. If you open the tailgate there are two threaded holes on side of the opening, it looks as though it should have locating lugs or something as the tailgate itself has two pins that look as if they would line up with these.

The car has done a recorded 60,000 miles, but it has had a mph dash fitted so the mileage may not be true.

The car has a receipt with it for £1,200 worth of suspension and new steering rack.

All of the electric bits work and the radio etc. is all standard OEM stuff. The interior is clean if a little gaudy, I have not driven the car yet but just given it the once over. The only thing that I can see is that it will need new brakes all round in the not too distant future.

There is no service history with this car at all, it sounded a bit tappety before it warmed up, is this normal?

Does anybody live locally who is prepared to have a look and give me an honest opinion?

BraindG
21-10-2003, 05:54 PM
The only thing that I can see is that it will need new brakes all round in the not too distant future.

We can source decent front ones at around 202 including ferodo pads.. few of the guys have them, including me INSERT INTO post VALUES (yet to drive the car with them on though :INSERT INTO post VALUES ()
- and i would say they highly recommend them

There is no service history with this car at all, it sounded a bit tappety before it warmed up, is this normal?

yes, very normal :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Roadrunner
21-10-2003, 07:52 PM
it will need new brakes all round in the not too distant future
I'm your man! :) Got a full set of VR-4 brakes INSERT INTO post VALUES (calipers and discs) that I took off my car recently. Fronts are OK, rear calipers are OK, but rear discs are well worn. They'll be cheap though! If your brakes are shot, it would be an ideal opportunity to fit something better than the standard ones. A few peeps here have fitted uprated brakes :)

£1,200 worth of suspension and new steering rack
:Ponder: A NEW rack from Mitsubishi is £1,825 + VAT! :eek: so I wonder what they fitted ...

Brian

matthew slade
22-10-2003, 08:16 AM
Hmmm:confused:

I would probably upgrade the front brakes, but not necessarily the rears. I have fitted AP's on one of my other cars and they are the dogs danglies.

The rack and suspension were not done by a Mitsi dealer:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

I am tempted by this car because of its price, but there are a lot of things that are shouting STAY AWAY.

Does anyone have any ideas about the tailgate locators I mentioned?

I want a good value car, but not a dog, I need your help people!

Nick VR4
22-10-2003, 12:52 PM
Hi Mate

Ok here a couple of pics INSERT INTO post VALUES (not that good quality for some reason?)

But will give you an idea

First one shows that there is like a buffer stopper

Second pic shows the actual buffers

Nick VR4
22-10-2003, 12:52 PM
again

matthew slade
22-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Hmmm:confused: It didn't look anything like that, did the older cars have a different system?

Is there any chance of me being able to come and see your car?

Nick VR4
22-10-2003, 04:28 PM
Any idea when mate

matthew slade
23-10-2003, 07:59 AM
On the weekend if possible, I am working in Leighton Buzzard on Saturday and Sunday and may have to visit a friend in Watermead too.

Nick VR4
23-10-2003, 08:07 AM
Sorry mate
I'm off up North Friday morning till Monday seeing Girlfriend :D

Any other ideas
I can't meet you today either as car is in for service and out tonight
Picking car up at 5.30 pm

matthew slade
23-10-2003, 10:05 AM
One day or evening next week then. Do you work locally? Do you use the car to get to work? My days are fairly flexible, I manage my own time;)

Nick VR4
23-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Work Nooooo I was laid off in June :INSERT INTO post VALUES (
But I'm helping a mate out on a web site beta testing :)
So we could meet during day as the light fades pretty quickly now

As you know the Watermead pub we could meet there

Round about lunchtime one day
Monday can't make it but any otherday is fine

matthew slade
23-10-2003, 01:00 PM
The only day that I am free next week is Friday, how does that suit you?

Nick VR4
23-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Friday next week is good

Any idea what time ?

matthew slade
23-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Whatever suits you, if we meet at lunchtime, 1ish, I can buy you lunch as a thank you for your trouble.

Nick VR4
23-10-2003, 02:24 PM
Ok dokey
Lets say Friday week 31st October 1.00pm

You might want to remind me nearer the time as well :D

matthew slade
23-10-2003, 02:27 PM
No worries, I will bring one of my Daihatsu's with me for you to see.

matthew slade
31-10-2003, 04:47 PM
Nick

Thanks a lot for meeting me earlier, it was very useful.

Regards

Matthew

Nick VR4
31-10-2003, 05:34 PM
No problem mate

Hope you find a VR4 Legnum soooon ;) :D