PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Specific Tools

WildCards
09-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Been looking for a few tools on ebay and various other places, but I don't really have a clue what i'm looking for, I'm after 1/2" long handled torque wrench and a 2/3 tonne trolley jack which lifts higher than your average jack. Due to the skirts on the SVR4 a normal 2 tonne jack doesn't lift the car high enough to get axle stands underneath safely.

Can anyone recommend or link me to either of these bits of kit. I don't want to pay the earth, but do want quality bits of kit, the sort your Dad has been using since his dad gave it to him.

Wodjno
09-05-2006, 04:40 PM
Been looking for a few tools on ebay and various other places, but I don't really have a clue what i'm looking for, I'm after 1/2" long handled torque wrench and a 2/3 tonne trolley jack which lifts higher than your average jack. Due to the skirts on the SVR4 a normal 2 tonne jack doesn't lift the car high enough to get axle stands underneath safely.

Can anyone recommend or link me to either of these bits of kit. I don't want to pay the earth, but do want quality bits of kit, the sort your Dad has been using since his dad gave it to him.

Your local Motor Factors or Halfrauds would prolly be as gooda place to look.. :happy:

Spirit
09-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Steve

I just did a search for high lift trolley jacks and google came up with loads - mind you some of them are over £200 !

Here's a wide range of jacks: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=107&r=2047

Physician
09-05-2006, 08:29 PM
Steve

I just did a search for high lift trolley jacks and google came up with loads - mind you some of them are over £200 !

Here's a wide range of jacks: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/ranges.asp?g=107&r=2047

That's a good find Pete ....... I pass one of those shops regularly and always thought they were machine 'HIRE' only. Very keen prices on loads of stuff.

Kieran
09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
There's a machine mart within 5 minutes walk of KieranCorp Towers. Great shop, keen prices and the stuff is good quality. Highly recommended.

Wodjno
09-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Yes good place Machine mart. :2thumbsup And they have normally got an offer leaflet out every month :happy:

stuartturbo
09-05-2006, 09:08 PM
as for the torque wrench what size do you what would help to IE 5-40Nm 28-200Nm and what style adjustment. in the handle set and clicks at torque or dial type.
these factors tend to give overal length
Again a good search on ebay and most motor factors are good enougth

ANTHONY
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Yes good place Machine mart. :2thumbsup And they have normally got an offer leaflet out every month :happy:
yep i can agree with that

WildCards
09-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Cheers guys, i'll give MM a go over the weekend and you know. It's such a pain in the backside everytime I want to lift the car.

as for the torque wrench what size do you what would help to IE 5-40Nm 28-200Nm and what style adjustment. in the handle set and clicks at torque or dial type.
these factors tend to give overal length
Again a good search on ebay and most motor factors are good enougth

Stu, I've only seen one, which was a twist grip handle thingy, prolly about 10-12" in length. Came in a nice box and everfink!

Whatever I'm recommended really, it's mainly gonna be used for doing wheels upo correctly, but would be nice if it was versatile enough to use for many jobs.

WildCards
10-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Anyone know whether this little lot would be any good?

Clarke Tools for £100 (http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040211548&r=2073&g=111)

stuartturbo
10-05-2006, 12:53 PM
no the screw drivers are pap will snap or round out at the first sign off any thing hard
the allen keys are really short
I could go on

for something like that halfords has some good stuff there pro socket sets are really good i use a 3/8 and 1/4 set and they get some abuse at work pop in and have a look