PDA

View Full Version : Galant V6 poss purchase

carserter
09-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi guys,

New to the forum & just have a couple of questions for ya /help

I am thinking of buying a Galant V6 sport (not sure on saloon or estate yet),
prolly about 2001 plate.

What i would like to know is, can i find a buying guide?
What sort of things should i be looking out for?
Are there any common probs?

Many thanks in advance to any help

ritch_w
09-05-2006, 09:44 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/index.php?page=BuyersGuide

its for the VR4, but pretty much applies to the V6

nothing really to look out for on these cars as they are bullet proof (plenty of high milers about that have had no issues)

general things to look out for;
fMsh - a must have IMHO
auto boxes must change smoothly
manuals can be sticky 1st to 2nd when cold, any other droning or wierd noises could be thrust or input bearings - £500 job i believe.
any rust at rear wheel arches or any where else - shouldnt have any serious rust
crash damage
noisy suspension - any clunks at the fron could be ball joints - there was a recall on this.
wear and tear - v6 wear well - i had a high miler and it looked at least half its mileage. if it looks worn its had a hard life and probably not worth buying

hope this helps ;)

Rikki
09-05-2006, 11:07 PM
pretty much as above. suspension area (i.e. arms, ball joints etc) seem to be a common one. brakes as well, though that depends on your driving habits. i am about to replace a bearing on mine, and yeah its a hefty price! /Grrr :thumbsdow

carserter
10-05-2006, 02:04 AM
thanks for the input guys,

Just realised i put this in the wrong section tho.........DOH!!!

Can any admin move it into questions for me please?

I'm keeping my eyes open for one, but they're hard to come buy.
I want a UK one.

Kenneth
10-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Just realised i put this in the wrong section tho.........DOH!!!

Can any admin move it into questions for me please?

Happy to oblige

Rikki
10-05-2006, 08:20 AM
check the autotrader, thats where i got mine! they usually have a large selection of the Sport models, just might need to look slightly harder for the estate version though.

ritch_w
10-05-2006, 09:17 AM
check the autotrader, thats where i got mine! they usually have a large selection of the Sport models, just might need to look slightly harder for the estate version though.

did you get yours in scotland Rikki?

got any piccies? ;)

Rikki
10-05-2006, 09:44 AM
did you get yours in scotland Rikki?

got any piccies? ;)

Nah I picked mine up from Blackburn! Was a very worthwhile trip.:scholar:
As or pics, ill get them soon. Still a current work in progress and also the ones I have taken are on the comp at home /pan

ritch_w
10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
did u get it from Mo?

Rikki
10-05-2006, 11:09 AM
did u get it from Mo?

Nup. was a garage in Blackburn called Z-Cars! very apt! but the car was in good nick, going in next week to get the paintowrk all polished and touched up as it has a fair few scratches.

carserter
12-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Keep looking in Autotrader & 2 publications cover my area.
Anglia has none in & Midlands has 2 saloons & no estates. 1 of those is not the sport version either.
Just keep searching i suppose!!!!

Ho hum.....

Rikki
19-05-2006, 11:07 AM
Keep looking in Autotrader & 2 publications cover my area.
Anglia has none in & Midlands has 2 saloons & no estates. 1 of those is not the sport version either.
Just keep searching i suppose!!!!

Ho hum.....

i had been looking at getting my new one for months. i was originally going to buy a VR4 but I could be changing jobs and might mean travelling, so at this time the V6 was a slightly better option. plus, only paid half the price of the cheapest VR4 i could find :scholar:

there are a fair few sport models about, depends how much you are willing to spend i guess.