PDA

View Full Version : running a red light.

Robotnik123
10-05-2006, 12:03 PM
A guy at work (no not me) got stopped and was given a $150 fine for running a redlight, not in his car, but on his push bike. Anyway he deserves it I am sure, but will he get demerit points on his driver's license for it? The cops asked to see his driver's license and noted his details. I am guessing no, but can anyone confirm that.

This got me wondering. I have a motorbike license. Which of course is on the same piece of plastic as my car license. If I get caught speeding, running a red light or whatever on my motorbike, will I get demerit points on my car license too? I've been driving/riding for 16+ years, but have never actually got a ticket as yet you see.
:inquisiti

WildCards
10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
This got me wondering. I have a motorbike license. Which of course is on the same piece of plastic as my car license. If I get caught speeding, running a red light or whatever on my motorbike, will I get demerit points on my car license too?
:inquisiti

In the UK you do, can't believe he got done on his push bike though, must have been a dangerous place or manouvre or something, either that or he was bl00dy unlucky

You See
10-05-2006, 12:09 PM
If it's a motor vehicle (bike, car or truck) you will loose demerit points...however I don't think if he (or you :P) is on a push bike that you'd loose anything...why would the cops ask for a drivers licence if you're on a push bike anyway?...seems strangely odd to me. :inquisiti

WildCards
10-05-2006, 12:11 PM
They prolly ask to confirm your details. just a matter of course I suppose

Funkstar
10-05-2006, 12:15 PM
why would the cops ask for a drivers licence if you're on a push bike anyway?...seems strangely odd to me. :inquisiti

Aye, seems odd to me too. Obviously you need a licence to drive a car or ride a motorbike but not to ride a pushbike, so why should it affect your licence.

Definately a daft thing to do, but should have got some kind of warning and thats all.

You See
10-05-2006, 12:15 PM
Fact sheet for cyclists as per LTSA (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/factsheets/01.html#road)
"At intersections, you must follow the same road rules as motor vehicles, or get off your cycle and walk across."

bradc
10-05-2006, 12:29 PM
They should be banned anyway! No 2 wheeled vehicles belong in the streets, they should be restricted to parks and backyards :)

Robotnik123
10-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Aye, seems odd to me too. Obviously you need a licence to drive a car or ride a motorbike but not to ride a pushbike, so why should it affect your licence.

Definately a daft thing to do, but should have got some kind of warning and thats all.

Yeah I believe the highway patrol were specifically targetting that interesection. He said after he ran the red light he passed by 3 police cars and several cops on the side of the road. One of them flagged him down, asked if he had a driver's license and then wrote him a ticket. I asked him, "didn't you see all those cops across the intersection?" And he goes "no, I was too busy trying to avoid cars coming at me on the green to notice any cops, I can only do one thing at a time!" LOL

Paul Beazer
10-05-2006, 01:53 PM
They should be banned anyway! No 2 wheeled vehicles belong in the streets, they should be restricted to parks and backyards :)

OI!!!/Grrr

Wash your mouth out, its bad enough people jumping lights without having to dodge vans that decide to overtake you then force you off the road!

Im assuming you said that to wind up the two wheelers on the site?

Spirit
10-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Does work both ways Paul - I agree motorists have little respect for cyclists but many of them don't help themselves by riding on pavements, running traffic lights, pushing down the side of cars etc.

We need more cycle lanes ! :2thumbsup

bradc
10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
The reason why I hate bikes so much is that they always ride side by side and take up half of the road, or they still manage to take up half of the road on their own. It might be different over there, and you guys may have more bicycle lanes, but here they just annoy the hell out of me and get in the way.

WildCards
10-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Does work both ways Paul - I agree motorists have little respect for cyclists but many of them don't help themselves by riding on pavements, running traffic lights, pushing down the side of cars etc.

We need more cycle lanes ! :2thumbsup

Have to agree with Pete here, I'd class myself as a cyclist, mainly off road, but how d'you think I get there?

Many cyclists are not aware of proper road safety in relation to riding a bike, most don't even wear a helmet FFS. Cycle lanes aren't needed in the majority of areas, if people could just ride properly and were aware of the surroundings and danger their wouldn't be a problem.

But then again, alot of cyclist are green liberalists that could do with a helmet, SPD shoe or other obscure object jamming up their ar$es, in that case, run the ba$tard$ over.

marmel31
10-05-2006, 10:40 PM
The police would have asked for his licence for two reasons, to confirm his ID and to obtain his licence number. Having the licence number makes it easier for the infringement beureau to record the fine against the right persons name. As far as I know you won't get demerit points for running a red light.

Paul Beazer
11-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Have to agree with Pete here, I'd class myself as a cyclist, mainly off road, but how d'you think I get there?

Many cyclists are not aware of proper road safety in relation to riding a bike, most don't even wear a helmet FFS. Cycle lanes aren't needed in the majority of areas, if people could just ride properly and were aware of the surroundings and danger their wouldn't be a problem.

But then again, alot of cyclist are green liberalists that could do with a helmet, SPD shoe or other obscure object jamming up their ar$es, in that case, run the ba$tard$ over.

Agreed, there ARE some idiots out there on bikes, but people only notice the minority which are idiots, in the same way as we all notice the idiot drivers out there. When was the last time you thought "gosh they're driving carefully and safely", you dont, because you dont even notice them!

I ride mostly offroad too, but recently did a 70 mile road ride, the rank stupidity of some of theose motorists who were determined to get past us was unbelieveable (overtaking on blind bends, tooting their horns and generally cutting us up!). I cycle everyday to work (out of necessity rather than choice) and i have had cars deliberately run me off the road and then shouted at for trying to kill someone! WTF?
Im not saying everyone is like that, but from a purely cyclist perspective all car drivers are selfish roadhogs, in the same way as many motorists view cyclists as a liability.
Just remember a bike hitting a car wont do much harm to the driver, but the other way around can be fatal!

Rant over. You may continue with your work.

Paul

PS I am not a greenie or a lentil muncher and i do like cars!

bradc
11-05-2006, 08:51 AM
I've only ever tooted at guys on bikes once, it was when they were riding 3 wide for NO logical reason on a skinny road that was only wide enough for one car. They saw me, but they wouldn't get out of the way. There wasn't enough room for me to pass at all, so I just popped the car into neutral, revved up to about 7000rpm (in the vr4) and started tooting. They got out of the way fairly quickly :)

WildCards
11-05-2006, 01:05 PM
I've only ever tooted at guys on bikes once

Were they wearing Lycra? :speechles

Paul Beazer
11-05-2006, 07:58 PM
If they had skinny tires and helmets with no peaks, i'd have seen them off into a ditch!

bradc
11-05-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't think they were, but I know you were wearing lycra last night, weren't you naughty boy?

Rossco Type-S
12-05-2006, 09:34 AM
I hate cyclists...I aim for the bastards!

Paul Beazer
12-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I hate cyclists...I aim for the bastards!

Oooh someones tired! /pan

Paul Beazer
12-05-2006, 12:09 PM
I don't think they were, but I know you were wearing lycra last night, weren't you naughty boy?

Actually yes, my landlord was somewhat amused when i answered the door in my babygro!

Xeroid
13-05-2006, 09:32 AM
< rant on >

Ok, as both a VR4 driver and a reasonably serious bike rider I've seen both situations. Inconsiderate riders and some dangerously inconsiderate drivers. I ride to keep fit, riding to work is too difficult for a number of reasons but either way I do not do stupid things or take unreasonable attitudes to the other road user. I figure if 'he' is riding a bike that's one car less to worry about and when I'm riding I'm very aware of both my vulnerabilty and my road position with regard to other users because I'm a regularly in both positions.

Slag off individuals for stupid actions please but do not tar all other users as stupid, incompetent or a bloody nuisance. Because you choose to drive a vehicle that has to be one of the quickest, most advanced and potent around does not mean you own the road.

<rant off>

Kenneth
13-05-2006, 09:45 AM
All you fools that ride push bikes are idiots! /STP

Whats the point in a pushbike? It doesn't even have an engine!

I used to ride a pushbike when I was under 20... But then I got a motorcycle. Sorry, if It hasn't got an engine you're in trouble on the road.

mmmm... wheelies... gotta get another bike. And try not to ride it off the tyres around corners :P