PDA

View Full Version : houston.. we have a problem

SGHOM
13-05-2006, 12:39 PM
This cant be right ?? /help
Barry & I put on my car his rear springs, It was bottoming out on the was back from manchester, but only on the N/S. :speechles

SGHOM
13-05-2006, 12:45 PM
lets sum up where I stand at the moment;

I cannot get my car off the drive.. reason 1; see pics above.

reason 2; I have 2 flat front tyres thanks to that dickhead at kr@p-fit. /Grrr [ the valves are fecked, so I cant inflate them. ]

I have a fecked van in manchester /Grrr /help /help

BraindG
13-05-2006, 12:58 PM
hmm what the feck is going on there derek? spring snapped?

amsoil
13-05-2006, 01:01 PM
This cant be right ?? /help
Barry & I put on my car his rear springs, It was bottoming out on the was back from manchester, but only on the N/S. :speechles

Did one like that many years ago but at the front of a car ; you will need to go slowly all through everything you have left over and have done and keep a very open mind as the chances are that you have done something wrong. Don't assume anything, not even that the springs are a pair or that you have fitted both of a pair. My problem was that I added an extra shim on one side and removed one on the other, not believing I could make such a mistake I adjusted everything with corner weight scales and all seemed fine but the handling was really scary. :inquisiti

Good luck and let us know what the problem is when you find it.

SGHOM
13-05-2006, 01:04 PM
FAO; KIERAN.

Can you get up here ASAP tomorrow please. I need to change my rear suspension again !! /help /help

I'm going to the effin pub now !!

Paul Beazer
13-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Different springs / shocks for saloons and wagons??
Perhaps the self levelling shocks need pumping up??

Spirit
13-05-2006, 01:20 PM
95% sure the standard springs are different, confirmed that with Bilstein at RT3, they only do the kit I have for the saloon.

I don't think this is as simple as that, looks far worse as Don said either something wrong with the fitting or the spring has bust ? The VR4's dont have self levelling shocks.

BraindG
13-05-2006, 01:23 PM
Derek and I put my springs on his rear shocks during the week.. We even double checked one by taking it apart again, huh Derek? :thinking: - So I know the rears were put together ok, and theres no spare bits lying around :D

Did you do the fronts Derek?

amsoil
13-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Derek and I put my springs on his rear shocks during the week.. We even double checked one by taking it apart again, huh Derek? :thinking: - So I know the rears were put together ok, and theres no spare bits lying around :D

Did you do the fronts Derek?

Yep I know, been there; took me a month to see the 'tool' growing out of the centre of my forehead! /pan

Kieran
13-05-2006, 02:16 PM
Can you get up here ASAP tomorrow please. I need to change my rear suspension again !! /help /help

I'm going to the effin pub now !!

Okay! Springs going in the boot! I'll bring my tools too! See you tomorrow morning, about......:inquisiti

Oh god, not another pre-lunchtime Sunday!!:speechles /help :zzz:

Put the kettle on tomorrow morning then!

SGHOM
13-05-2006, 02:43 PM
We even double checked one by taking it apart again, huh Derek? :thinking: -
?

/duh /duh :embarasse yep, we did !! [ forgot a bit of one ] :inquisiti :d

SGHOM
13-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Put the kettle on tomorrow morning then!

okey dokey K !! :iloveyou:

My car will be on 4 axle stands by 8 am tomorrow. wheels will be off. suspension will be off. springs will be off the struts. :2thumbsup

I may need to ask for another HUGE favour when you get here !! /help :happy:

Physician
13-05-2006, 04:46 PM
I may need to ask for another HUGE favour when you get here !! /help :happy:

Careful Kieren ....... it's either money or more probably sex :speechles

Kieran
13-05-2006, 04:47 PM
:zzz:
.....My car will be on 4 axle stands by 8 am tomorrow.....

:zzz: /help

Kieran
13-05-2006, 04:49 PM

Good Morning!/help /help /help /help

BraindG
13-05-2006, 05:14 PM
It better bloody not be! ortherwise ill not be happy!/Grrr

Physician
13-05-2006, 05:18 PM
It better bloody not be! ortherwise ill not be happy!/Grrr

Sorry Barry .......... didn't realise he was yours :inquisiti :speechles

BraindG
13-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Sorry Barry .......... didn't realise he was yours :inquisiti :speechles
/cordon 's off area around Derek..

Hes mine! :iloveyou:

ritch_w
13-05-2006, 05:54 PM
check you didnt put one of the dished washer thingys at the top on the wrong way/ upside down?
think you'll need to take them both off and compare them - looks like one of the must be incorrectly assimbled or something missing??

bernmc
13-05-2006, 05:57 PM
He is a particularly handsome fellow ... :evilgrin:

SGHOM
13-05-2006, 06:07 PM
I may need a lift to a multi-million pound house with a fault on one of the ring mains. :thinking: I wired it, so It should be easy to suss. /help [ probably something they've plugged in ?? ]
I'll try & keep Kieran out of the swimming pool !! :2thumbsup but now............... I gotta get a taxi to the hospital to see mum. :thinking:

bradc
14-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Is there is a chance that maybe the spring is catching on something and isn't going the whole way down on that one side? It's the only thing I could think of

Kieran
14-05-2006, 08:13 AM
:zzz: :zzz:

/KieranCorp Industrial-sized alarm clock goes off

*snort*:speechles :inquisiti

Mmmmph?! Grunt!/Grrr

I hate mornings!

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 09:40 AM
note;

Galant rear springs do NOT fit on legnums !! :book: /Grrr

Paul Beazer
14-05-2006, 10:47 AM
On both sides or just the one?!/pan

You See
14-05-2006, 11:05 AM

On our NZ workshop day, we managed to swap the suspension from my Galant over to Jaimz's Leggie without a prob....we did swap the shocks as well (not sure if it'll make a difference)

bradc
14-05-2006, 11:37 AM
Jaimz's car did end up being very very low though, the wheel arch was almost down to the top of the wheel rim, covering almost the whole tyre!

You See
14-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Jaimz's car did end up being very very low though, the wheel arch was almost down to the top of the wheel rim, covering almost the whole tyre!
No difference to how it was on mine with factory alloys tho. :P

bradc
14-05-2006, 12:01 PM
I think it got a little lower than yours in the end, the back just kept sagging with the extra 50kg or so.

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 12:31 PM
Which is which ??

answers on a postcard !! :2thumbsup

Wodjno
14-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Which is which, what ?

The spring on the left looks like a standard leggie spring. The other 1 i'm not sure ? It doesn't even have a closed end :inquisiti

Edit:

Looking again, i'm pretty sure there both
Leggie springs. The 1 on the left is the rear and the right is the front !?!?!

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Which is which, what ?

The spring on the left looks like a standard leggie spring. The other 1 i'm not sure ? It doesn't even have a closed end :inquisiti

half correct glenn. :scholar:
The one on the left is a standard leggie spring. the one on the right is from Barry's saloon ! :thinking: same height & thickness, but a couple more coils ?? :book:

ritch_w
14-05-2006, 01:01 PM
the one on the right doesn't look progressive, or have the loops closed..... has it had a couple of coils chopped????

BraindG
14-05-2006, 01:23 PM
The one on the right is mine?

the one on the right doesn't look progressive, or have the loops closed..... has it had a couple of coils chopped????

Not that I am aware off. So cos its a leggie, and possibly used to cart heavy things around they gave it a few more coils?

ritch_w
14-05-2006, 01:31 PM
On both my previous V6 saloons and they looked like the one on the left. - progressively wound
Just had a peek at mine and they look to be progressivly wound too even though they are ralliart springs.

thats why i think the one on the right is either been chopped (cos the tops and bottoms dont loop to a flat circle) or they could be after market - but i doubt it

RED
14-05-2006, 01:49 PM
note;

WRD motorsport fitted my Saloon spings to George's leggie:inquisiti ?

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Well ?? /help any other suggestions ??

no one in Sheffield sell flush fitting tyre valves, so I'm hoping to get some from e'bay ASAP. until then !!! :2thumbsup

BraindG
14-05-2006, 02:27 PM
nice tape work :P

so, rear springs sorted now?

Physician
14-05-2006, 02:38 PM
Well ?? /help any other suggestions ??

no one in Sheffield sell flush fitting tyre valves, so I'm hoping to get some from e'bay ASAP. until then !!! :2thumbsup

Hahahaha! /pan /pan /pan Best engineering job I've seen on this site!

amsoil
14-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Still not sure how one side was high and the other low?

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 03:30 PM
I need some of these ! :2thumbsup

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-tamper-flat-Metal-Tyre-Valves-for-alloy-wheels_W0QQitemZ8065580389QQcategoryZ43120QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem

but not having a paypal account [ or any account :inquisiti ] I've asked Barry if he can order them for me, & I'll give him the cash tomorrow. :5shots: :iloveyou:

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Still not sure how one side was high and the other low?
That kinda confused me also Don ? :thinking: My drive is level, but getting on & off it is quite steep. I reckon the reduced spring strength just couldn't cope with the angle ? hence the n/s was at full height & the o/s was fouling the arch ?
I'm sure I've seen a post on here somewhere claiming the same part no; for both saloons & estates ?? :inquisiti

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm sure I've seen a post on here somewhere claiming the same part no; for both saloons & estates ?? :inquisiti

I have checked again. The part numbers are as follows:

EC5A Rear

Shock MR272661
Spring MR272651
Top Mount MR103156

EC5W Rear

Shock MR272661
Spring MR272651
Top Mount MR103156

If you look on Teins website the part numbers of kits are the same for Legnum and Galant. How more conclusive can it be?

/ unscrupiously stolen from one of Marcus's posts !! [ sorry !! ]

BraindG
14-05-2006, 04:14 PM
So mine have been cut then? - are both sides the same?

SGHOM
14-05-2006, 04:30 PM
So mine have been cut then? - are both sides the same?
nope & yes !! :book: :book:

I think we need to sort this out once & for all ? has anyone got a pic/measurement of standard saloon rear springs, so we can compare ?? :thinking: :thinking:

/edit;

A huge thankyou to Kieran for taking the time out to help me sort my car, & a few other jobbies !! [ I came back £1000 richer !! ]