PDA

View Full Version : UNICHIP offer

colVR4
14-05-2006, 12:31 AM
After a successful day at Silverstone with the standard set-up (or near as dammit) with the car, I spoke to the guy in charge, Andy. He mentioned that they are an official UniChip dealer and that they can fit the UniChip and set it up at their premises.

The cost would normally be £650 +VAT, but if we can muster up more than 5 people (only 5) then he would drop the price to £550 +VAT. On the day there were already 3 people that were definately interested (me included :2thumbsup ) so it requires only a couple more to get the discounted price.

He would require a 50% deposit (non-refundable) up front to ensure that people will turn up, and then just turn up with the rest of the money and the car within 6 months. He also mentioned that the more cars (i.e. 10+) the lower the price becomes.

A short note on why to go UniChip...
With the chip, which is essentially a piggy-back ECU, they can stabilise and set the boost, and set the AFR and timing to produce both smooth torque and hp curves. They guarantee that every car leaves their premises 'safe' to run, i.e. they will not set your car up to destroy itself within a couple of days on insane boost. They are a VERY reputable UniChip tuner and have said that the standard car, without increased boost, would see a 20hp+ increase just by smoothing out the curves.

In addition, if you buy a electronic boost controller it will set you back £200+, then add a decent AFR at another £150+, and then all the time to set them up!!!! For about £640 you get the car set up by professionals who know what they are doing, with 4 hours on the rollers.

So a show of hands would be good. If there is no interest here then if those individuals at Silverstone PM me we will sort it out privately.

Ta

bradc
14-05-2006, 02:20 AM
I would expect a bigger increase in power than 20hp myself, possibly 30hp if you had a car without a boost controller installed, but some other supporting mods, such as an exhaust or intercooler.

Twpsin
14-05-2006, 11:06 AM
I am still interested Col so put me down for 1

Have you told the boss or is it on the QT as it is two payments?

bernmc
14-05-2006, 11:18 AM
I'm interested, but a lot depends on the next few days/month as to whether I'm going to have any pennies or be looking for a cardboard box to live in...

WildCards
14-05-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm interested, dependant on timing and my credit card

Pedro Fandango
14-05-2006, 12:15 PM
i'm interested (if they will do it for the Volvo) but can't confirm yet

colVR4
14-05-2006, 02:01 PM
Obviously haven't......and won't be telling the boss. I will have to hide it amongst the credit cards :D

I am thinking about giving it a month to get at least 5 people who are willing to pay up the 50% (about £320) and then speaking to the guys at Silverstone. That will leave people another 6 months to get the rest of the money together and to get their car back to Silverstone to have the fitting and tuning done.

If I can't get the 5 people I am going ahead anyway, but obviously I would prefer to pay the discounted price...so get your hands in your pockets people, you know it makes sense.

Axeboy
14-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Would it be worth getting some more quotes for fitting?

Just a thought....

It sounded expensive to me.

colVR4
14-05-2006, 04:37 PM
The price is a little higher than some other garages that offer the UniChip, but after chatting to the owner of the garage about the service that they provide, I am happy to take my car there to get fitted. They are all very enthusiastic about the car and they have a well-established history with modifying Jap cars (although normally they focus on the scoobies, evos, skylines and 350Z).

I agree that it is worth getting a few other quotes though, so that we can at least compare prices with other UniChip fitters. Has anybody else had a UniChip fitted to their car who can say whether it is worth the money to have done?

bradc
14-05-2006, 08:42 PM
I know that Derek has had one fitted, and he is very happy with it.

There isn't much difference between various brands of piggy back ECU's, if you can get an emanage installed for a similar amount you may as well go for one of those as they are more popular and overall better supported. The main thing to do is to look for a good tuner that can really tune an ecu well.

triniVr4
14-05-2006, 08:53 PM
^^^ was about to ask that ques (not wanting to hijakc the thread)...but between UNICHIP and EMANAGE...whichj is better? (esp seeing that the Emanage brigns up that annoying engine chk light...)

soapy1978
14-05-2006, 08:56 PM
not be rude about this mate as i not sure what has been done to my car fully but i got more power than most and all i know of on my car is a blizts boost controler big inter cooler and de cat pipe and air filter..

and there was some there with the e manage and i got more than them

bradc
14-05-2006, 08:57 PM
I think it comes down to the tuner really, but I would probably go with the emanage if it was the same price as the unichip with a full installation from a good tuner.

On that topic, how about one of you over there in the UK ask around for a price to fit and tune 5x emanage blue's?

WildCards
14-05-2006, 09:18 PM
AFAIK the Emanage or Autronics devices are the ideal solution to this problem, but both will need alot of setting up. I'm not prepared to bugger about with a laptop in the car, trying to wire the thing in etc etc, so i'll be looking for a unichip.

Both SGHOM and Nick Mann have the Unichip and both are happy with it to my knowledge.

bernmc
14-05-2006, 09:27 PM
Thor Racing in Kennilworth will do an emanage blue fitted and tuned (hub dyno) for around 350 inc VAT, or an Ultimate for £470.

WildCards
14-05-2006, 09:30 PM
Thor Racing in Kennilworth will do an emanage blue fitted and tuned (hub dyno) for around 350 inc VAT, or an Ultimate for £470.

hmm, does tht mean i wouldn't need a laptop on my passengers seat? Would it mean I don't have to do anything? Would the end result be the same?

colVR4
14-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Bern, does that include the cost of the E-manage? I wouldn't have thought that they would be able to supply, fit and tune an emanage for that price.

soapy1978
15-05-2006, 02:22 AM
you boys gong on about e manage check this link out then

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GREDDY-E-MANAGE-ULTIMATE-KIT-MITSUBISHI-LEGNUM-GALANT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33597QQitemZ8064 403368QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V

not shore what it works out to our money

darren

Dream Weaver
15-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Thor Racing in Kenilworth would be more handy for me.

Anyone up for a try at a club discount there ?

bernmc
15-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Bern, does that include the cost of the E-manage? I wouldn't have thought that they would be able to supply, fit and tune an emanage for that price.

mmm wording is a bit vague, but it looks like you may be right - can't see anything that says the unit is included in the price.

I'll email them.

They say they need the car for 1/2 a day, whereas WRC's price includes 4 hours dyno tuning - more than 1/2 a day in total with fitting. May mean that WRC take a bit more care with the tuning...

Nutter_John
15-05-2006, 10:15 AM
When I was in the place near me I over heard them saying that the fiat coupe club had arrange a discount with them for fitting the unichip and it was something like 350 + vat (not sure how many units ) . I asked them for a price for mine to be done and they quoted 500+ vat for the unichip .

For me all I want is a device to fit and forget which I think the unichip does very well .

I can phone PTS up and see how much for the unichip for 5, 10 or 15 people

oh Yeah they are based in Luton

Cheers John

SNWMAD
17-05-2006, 12:43 PM
So the NZ guys like to run the ultimate from the looks of it. Well to the NZ guys who have one running, how much to buy,fit and tune one in NZ.

And as i am looking at working to the twin TD04 turbo set-up, will this unit handle everything i put on the car.

chris g
18-05-2006, 02:21 PM
I will have a Unichip removed from my MR2 in the near future and as I have no interest in using it, if anyone wants it at a bargain price then they can get in touch by PM

Will be a lot less than a new one and then just to pay for fitting and set-up

Wodjno
18-05-2006, 02:25 PM
So the NZ guys like to run the ultimate from the looks of it. Well to the NZ guys who have one running, how much to buy,fit and tune one in NZ.

And as i am looking at working to the twin TD04 turbo set-up, will this unit handle everything i put on the car.

Everything and More :2thumbsup

colVR4
18-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the offer Chris. Most cars require a different chip (I think that there are about 6 flavours), I am not sure what type is fitted in the MR2 but it may not be compatible with the VR4. It is worth finding out though.

WildCards
18-05-2006, 03:08 PM
Below is a list of interested parties, could we have a show of hands for confirmed, here is my deposit people please.

1. WildCards - Confirmed - Show me the Unichip!
2. ColVR4
3. Twpsin - Confirmed - Plastic fantastic man
4. BernMC
5. Pedro Fandango
6. DW
7. Nutter John

8. Axeboy - OUT

Axeboy
18-05-2006, 03:27 PM
Not for me :(

Wont be ready anywhere near on time the way things are going.

Twpsin
18-05-2006, 04:54 PM
I am still up for it so count me in.

We can pay over the phone by credit cards.

WildCards
18-05-2006, 07:39 PM
C'mon people, geet your doe out. I've been speaking with a chappy over on Pistonheads about these Unichips. Quite possibly i've wetted his appetite enough to pop over and join in aswell, you never know.

SUPAFLEA GUY
18-05-2006, 10:44 PM
interested. sign me up .

WildCards
18-05-2006, 10:46 PM
You interested or yes, heres my money i'll have one Supaflea?

Don't mean to be pushy, it's just that the longer I have to wait, the greater the chance of me spending the money.

SUPAFLEA GUY
18-05-2006, 10:58 PM
bread available ready.

WildCards
18-05-2006, 11:14 PM
Excellent

1. WildCards - Confirmed - Show me the Unichip!
2. Twpsin - Confirmed - Plastic fantastic man
3. Supaflea Guy - Confirmed - baking is complete
4. ColVR4
5. BernMC
6. Pedro Fandango
7. DW
8. Nutter John

bernmc
19-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I can't confirm until I know my future after the middle of next month (unemployed at present).

colVR4
21-05-2006, 10:48 PM
I have got some BAD news ......for me :(

The wife has just stated that she wants the other half of the kitchen completing and new granite worktops throughout. The kitchen is going to cost £3,320 as it is all White Ash and Beech panelling and the granite worktops are going to cost £5,650....OUCH!!!

So....you can see where this is going...

...no new toys for me I am afraid this month, or the next.....or the next.

Sorry guys!!

WildCards
21-05-2006, 11:23 PM
No sweat Col, after this weekend I may have a change in my plan of attack too. I'm not counting myself out just yet, but i reckon brakes and suspension maybe the first big changes on my car.

Andyman110
06-07-2006, 07:58 PM
got the money whens the party?:pimp2: can they supply boost controller too? got air filter fitted and cat back blitz which will prob have a de cat soon.

WildCards
06-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Yep, they can supply and set the whole kaboodle up for you mate

colVR4
07-07-2006, 12:40 AM
If they chip the car you won't be needing the boost controller. They will just set the boost higher.

Nick Mann
07-07-2006, 10:03 AM
If they chip the car you won't be needing the boost controller. They will just set the boost higher.

My unichip doesn't control boost. How will they set the boost higher without a boost controller?

colVR4
07-07-2006, 12:43 PM
oh, maybe I am wrong then. I could have sworn that the guy at Silverstone said that he would set the boost at a safe level using just the unichip, but when I think about it, it is dependant on the actuators isn't it.

Therefore completely ignore what I said earlier....

Nick Mann
07-07-2006, 01:16 PM
My unichip has a boost module monitoring the boost, so maybe you can get one to control it?

colVR4
08-07-2006, 05:10 PM
No, I have checked and I was right. The Unichip can set a higher boost as standard because it just changes the pressure at which the actuators work through the solenoid....or something like that.

I don't think that it alters the way that the actuators work though so you still get the spike, drop and climb that you see with a standard set-up, so it is still worth getting a boost controller to smooth out the boost curve.

bernmc
08-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Must just alter the point at which it triggers the boost solenoid - usually done according to MAF by the stock ECU. I assume the unichip interrupts the usual supply to the solenoid, and then fires it according to what the boost module reads. If this is correct then it also gets rid of any restriction the MAF produces - no fuel cut...?