PDA

View Full Version : slight leak

ritch_w
14-05-2006, 10:43 AM
just looking for some reassurance here....

my gearbox has a slight leak - more like weeping fluid at the drain plug at the bottom of the sump.
I have tightned the drain plug as tight as i can (without wanting to over do it and thread the bolt / sump thread).
there is still a very slight weeping. I have tied a small strip of cloth round the plug to absorb any weeping for the time being (don't want to stain the driveway / have wife nagging at me)

now to my point! could the washer on the drain plug be degraded / worn and thats why its weeping ATF?

I'm suspecting (hoping!) that the lazy mitsi dealers havent replaced the washer on the drain plug and that its an old one that is past its best, hopefully replacing the drain plug and a new washer will cure this?

any thoughts?:inquisiti

richy rich
14-05-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm suspecting (hoping!) that the lazy mitsi dealers havent replaced the washer on the drain plug and that its an old one that is past its best, hopefully replacing the drain plug and a new washer will cure this?

any thoughts?:inquisiti
this sound's about it rplacing the washer should sort it

Paul Beazer
14-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Has similar prblems with a sump drain plug on my mums volvo. The old was was a b@stard to get off and took a bit of a beating, so when i put it back on it was dripping everso slightly.
As long as the plug is the source of the seepage, then a replacement plug and washer should resolve this. Just make sure the mating surface between the plug and its hole is smooth and flat.

ritch_w
14-05-2006, 11:03 AM
thanks chaps:thumbsup:

ritch_w
14-05-2006, 01:06 PM
another q, i'm going to do the amsoil thing next month hopefully, but was thinking maybe i should change the drain plug and washer 1st, and top up with Mitsi dexron stuff 1st (equivalent to a dealer service LOL!) just to make sure the leaks fixed before putting amsoil in - what do you lot reckon?

richy rich
14-05-2006, 01:11 PM
another q, i'm going to do the amsoil thing next month hopefully, but was thinking maybe i should change the drain plug and washer 1st, and top up with Mitsi dexron stuff 1st (equivalent to a dealer service LOL!) just to make sure the leaks fixed before putting amsoil in - what do you lot reckon?
id just do the amsoil

ritch_w
14-05-2006, 01:25 PM
id just do the amsoil

i'm just concerned about having to waste any expensive amsoil if a new drain plug and washer doesnt cure, i'm sure it will - just being paranoid! ;)

richy rich
14-05-2006, 05:07 PM
i'm just concerned about having to waste any expensive amsoil if a new drain plug and washer doesnt cure, i'm sure it will - just being paranoid! ;)
ok then do it your way but if you remove the drain check gear box for any damage on the seal area then replace plug and washer should be fine.