PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust my TEIN coilovers?

Kalle
15-05-2006, 09:13 PM
They seem kind of soft for Tein coilovers... and all my documents are in japanese.. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the stiffness!?

Simon
15-05-2006, 09:53 PM
if you've got it.....turn the top adjustment all the way round clockwise, thats the stiff setting, turn 14 turns anti cloakwise for the softest but no more or that will cause damage. :2thumbsup

Kalle
15-05-2006, 10:03 PM
Is this adjustable?
http://www.soederman.se/Leggie/Tein02.JPG

Gly
16-05-2006, 01:33 AM
yes!

Kalle
17-05-2006, 01:46 PM
WTF...!?

I tried to adjust them today by doing this: (attachment 1)

what happens after turning it ½ way around...:
(attachment 2)

Gaaahh! /Grrr

How can I fix this? /help

BraindG
17-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Has that totally snapped off?

Kalle
17-05-2006, 08:22 PM
Jupp, completely loose... Can't figure out how they were attached as the other one is rigid. There seem to be a small "ball" missing in the top piece that should go into the small drilled holes on the other piece..

BraindG
17-05-2006, 09:55 PM
the bit you have in your hand.. the snapped of bit.. im assuming it is snapped? if you look at it, does it looked like its snapped? just incase it was in loose.. ? :D

Kalle
17-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Actually the surface on the loose piece does not look snapped.. but the other side is not loose..

BraindG
17-05-2006, 10:20 PM
not having Teins, im not sure how to comment, so hopefully someone that has them can..

however.. its odd that it doesnt look snapped.. was it pretty tight when you truned it initially?

Springie
18-05-2006, 12:03 AM
On mine you don't really need a allen key as you can click them around with your fingers, they shouldn't require much force at all to turn. If they were intially hard and you force them you may have broken it, not saying they it may not be able to be fixed.

VR4 MAD
18-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Obvious question..............does the other front one do the same thing and come or fall apart too?

Anyway, I believe the damping force is adjusted by turning that little knob by hand. Adjustment is anti-clockwise to soften and clockwise to harden ride.

An allen or hex key is only used to remove the knob when fitting an EDFC unit. Well that's what's shown in the EDFC instruction anyway.

Hope that helps a bit.

VR4 MAD

stuartturbo
18-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Mine i can adjust by hand Very loose did find adjuster hex so i assume you should use that.
If required i can scan the instruction But they are in japanese DOH

Kalle
18-05-2006, 08:22 AM
I was not able to move them around with just my fingers... Therefore I assumed I had to use the allen key. I turned the other side 1½ turns but was afraid I was going he brake that one too so I stopped. They required some force to be moved.. apparently not right.. :(

Why are mine so hard to adjust/turn but not very stiff in action? How can I check if they are on maximum/minimum stiffness? How can I loosen up the adjuster so that I can turn it by finger force? WD40?

VR4 MAD
18-05-2006, 11:56 PM
I was not able to move them around with just my fingers... Therefore I assumed I had to use the allen key. I turned the other side 1½ turns but was afraid I was going he brake that one too so I stopped. They required some force to be moved.. apparently not right.. :(

Why are mine so hard to adjust/turn but not very stiff in action? How can I check if they are on maximum/minimum stiffness? How can I loosen up the adjuster so that I can turn it by finger force? WD40?

Kalle, I'll look and try mine tonight to see how easy each knob is to turn. But this may not be a good test though, as they could be easy to turn because they aren't carrying any of the cars weight. That's because they aren't in the car (yet)/pan

Mine i can adjust by hand Very loose did find adjuster hex so i assume you should use that.
If required i can scan the instruction But they are in japanese DOH

I too have the installation instructions (in Japanese as well) in PDF format if you want them. Note also that you will need to download the Japanese fonts to view the PDF properly.:book:

/help BTW is anyone able to translate (or get a document translated) from Japanese to English? I've been trying to get this and another set of installation instructions translated for some time with no success yet. If the instructions were in a text or web format I could get Google or Babblefish to translate but being PDF I can't./pan /pan /pan /Grrr /help

VR4 MAD

g6acb
19-05-2006, 01:20 AM
[/quote]
/help BTW is anyone able to translate (or get a document translated) from Japanese to English? I've been trying to get this and another set of installation instructions translated for some time with no success yet. If the instructions were in a text or web format I could get Google or Babblefish to translate but being PDF I can't./pan /pan /pan /Grrr /help

VR4 MAD[/quote]

http://www.scansoft.co.uk/pdfconverter/standard/

whizzy software to turn PDF to word , then onto babelfish

VR4 MAD
19-05-2006, 02:25 AM
http://www.scansoft.co.uk/pdfconverter/standard/

whizzy software to turn PDF to word , then onto babelfish

Thanks for that info.

I've had a look around the site and can't find anything that suggests their software will convert PDFs in other languages.

What really worries me is that even Adobe can't convert Japanese PDF's via their free convert service. See the second to bottom item in their FAQ's at this link

"Online Conversion Tools" (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_tools_faq.html)

Have you used or know the "PDF Converter3" software will convert Japanese PDF files?

Anyway thanks for your help g6acb

/help

BraindG
19-05-2006, 07:09 AM

VR4 MAD

Could could try pasting the text into bablefish?

VR4 MAD
22-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Could could try pasting the text into bablefish?

Yep, would if I could........... BUT............ PDF files don't allow you to copy and paste from them, hence my problem..................../Grrr /pan /pan

Thanks for the thought though..................still looking for an answer/help

Cheers,

VR4 MAD

BraindG
22-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Yep, would if I could........... BUT............ PDF files don't allow you to copy and paste from them, hence my problem..................../Grrr /pan /pan

Thanks for the thought though..................still looking for an answer/help

Cheers,

VR4 MAD
Yeah they do.. :inquisiti

Springie
22-05-2006, 11:27 PM
You can copy text from a PDF in some cases, use the select tool up in the tool bar then select the text, right click the mouse and select "copy to clipboard".

g6acb
22-05-2006, 11:31 PM
1. Ensure japaneese charcter support in Adobe Acrobat Reader
2. Use Scansoft software or any other PDF converter you can find to turn it into a word document
3. Copy a chunk of gobbledegook from the word document
4. Paste into Babel Fish
5. Wonder at the complexity of the japaneese language and their ablity to divert all the verbs to the end of a sentance

VR4 MAD
23-05-2006, 02:34 AM
Yeah they do.. :inquisiti

Brilliant............it works./YMaster

You are a scholar and a gentleman./thankyou

I've only tried a couple of sections of text so far but seems to be doing a wonderful job using bablefish. Sometime bablefish gives funny (and weird) results on whole web pages but here it seems really good.

Thanks again for that. Never realised because I don't use PDF's much that you could copy out of them./pan

Cheers,
VR4 MAD

PS when I get through translating these manuals/installation instructions I'll either post them up or let peps know that I can supply them if they need them.

BraindG
23-05-2006, 06:57 AM
Brilliant............it works./YMaster

You are a scholar and a gentleman./thankyou

Oh, shhh.. your making me blush :embarasse

Glad its working out for you.

Kalle
23-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Most of the time...
It is not possible if the PDF is locked