PDA

View Full Version : Why did you buy your VR-4 ?

KiwiTT
16-10-2003, 08:38 PM
We may have all bought our VR-4 for different reasons.

What was yours ?

Brind
16-10-2003, 08:51 PM
Several reasons.

Main one is the looks and rarety of it.
It has enough room for all the family and yet it has the abilities of a sports car.
Cornering and handling are superb unless you want to turn in tight spaces!.
Build quality is very good too and again you don't see many about unless us lot get together.

BraindG
16-10-2003, 09:09 PM
theres no "Cos it was on Gran Turismo on the playstation" option!!!...

and you think im kidding!

KiwiTT
16-10-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by BraindG

I remember, tweaking the hell out of Gran Turismo VR-4 and noticed no more than about 50% improvement in Acceleration and handling. "Unlimited funds".

I then decided that the "Stock" VR-4 must be so good already, it doen't need tweaking much.

Time will tell though.

tunes
16-10-2003, 10:03 PM
All of the above! Handling, speed, style, value for money... Can't fault them. Yes, im in love :inlove2:

enigma
16-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Mainly cos my wife said I had to get rid of the MR2 Turbo and get a sensible car!!!!!! :D

KiwiTT
16-10-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by bigdaveakers
Mainly cos my wife said I had to get rid of the MR2 Turbo and get a sensible car!!!!!! :D

If only she knew what you really got. A real wolf in sheeps clothing. The ultimate "Q-Car". Even your nearest and dearest don't know what you've got.

Spirit
16-10-2003, 10:38 PM
Yep most of the above and we wanted to get a Galant again so said hell to it lets get the best one there is :D Love it to bits now !

KiwiTT
16-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by spirit979
Yep most of the above and we wanted to get a Galant again so said hell to it lets get the best one there is :D Love it to bits now !

It is my 4th Galant too !!

landy
17-10-2003, 09:08 PM
As soon as I saw a Legnum VR4 on the Mitsy dealers forecourt I wanted one

It was a few years before I could actually afford one INSERT INTO post VALUES (the first one I saw was a P-reg model which was stolen from the dealers a few years ago. The bloke said the wanted to take it for a test drive, and they let him go on his own. They never saw it again !!)

Anyway, I had my heart set on a VR4. I convinced the wife that we needed 4x4 as it is safer on the road, and we need an estate for all the kids, shopping etc., so the only option was a Legnum VR4. Sweet. :cool1: :D

Brind
17-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by BraindG

Back in the days of the Galants in GT I had a very powerful one in the first game but in the second game it wasn't so tweakable, so I drove a GTO in the first game with 0ver 900bhp, nothing could touch it, can't recall what I drove in the second but it wasn't a Galant..
Drive an EVO, Tommi Kaira, Formula 1 cars in the third game.

Maybe the Galant will be back for GT4.

4me
19-10-2003, 10:31 AM
- Took the previous car in for a WoF
- Dealer workshop offered me the VR4 as a courtesy car for the day
- Turned up the next morning and asked if I could buy it instead of paying for the WoF

Had just bought a house and considering the old car was freehold probably shouldn't have bought a new one ... but its so much more sensible and practical than the coupe :)

Kieran
19-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Officially, I can't answer this, as I've not got a VR-4:Cry1:....Yet:devil2:

However, the reason I got the GLS was because I've always wanted a Galant since I saw the review of the 8G back in 1997 on BBC Top Gear.

And why do I now want a VR-4?
Sevral Reasons:
The High contrast dashboard :D
The nicer interior with the recaro seats.
The fact that it offers high performance in a discreet package.

Pescha
19-10-2003, 06:36 PM
Well we were looking for a more gruntier car to make the trip from Huntly to Tauranga on a more regular basis. Having the Kaimai's INSERT INTO post VALUES (mountain range) to climb every time we knew the ol' 1.5 nissan pulsar MX would eventually sh!t itself. So we were looking at non VR-4 legnums, then came across the VR-4 for $13,999/4666,33 pounds, with a 2 year free full mechanical/electrical warranty and it was AA checked!

We were fools for not taking it. Hence why I now have a VR-4 lol.............

Cheers,
Pescha!

enigma
19-10-2003, 07:37 PM
I now feel very sick! I was in Christchurch last year and spent a day drooling at the garages. You guys get cars so cheap! I very nearly bought a VR4 and had it shipped back to england! Yes it was that cheap! Everywhere I turned I saw high performance motors INSERT INTO post VALUES (Skylines and Evos) driven by similar spotty youths that favour Corsas and Saxos here. I take it insurance is dirt cheap too along with fuel and road taxes?

KiwiTT
19-10-2003, 09:23 PM
... I take it insurance is dirt cheap too along with fuel and road taxes?

Yes, I pay approximately $60.00 INSERT INTO post VALUES (20 pounds per month). I believe that is cheap.

Note: I am over 25, which helps.

Pescha: I also spotted a 1996 VR-4 Wagon for sale in the paper for $13,995. Didn't catch the name of the dealer. It was on the back of last weeks Nz Herald AutoNews.

enigma
19-10-2003, 10:01 PM
:Cry1: :Cry1:
try multiplying that by 4! I am 31.

Then try parting with 82p per litre of fuel :Cry1:

KiwiTT
19-10-2003, 10:23 PM
However, I don't think a valid immigration reason, will be to drive my VR-4 more cheaply.

Nimma
19-10-2003, 10:34 PM
The difference is probably proportional to living costs and Salary. NZers get hammered when living in the UK from NZ funds!

Brind
19-10-2003, 11:31 PM
Uk's population get hammered here too.
Rip off Britain is an understatement.. :mad:

KiwiTT
19-10-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Nimma
The difference is probably proportional to living costs and Salary. NZers get hammered when living in the UK from NZ funds!

I almost spent the price on my VR-4 on holiday in the UK for 3 weeks, staying with family.

3 weeks in UK = NZ 1996 Galant VR-4 for a NZ'er

I suppose;
3 weeks in NZ = UK 1996 Lancer 1.5 for a UK'er

You guys get a bargain when you come here on holiday.

Pescha
20-10-2003, 05:28 AM
My sister in laws friend who is under 25 spends $3,500 NZ dollars INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is 1,333 pounds) a year for his evo. I spend $465NZ a year INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is 155 pounds) for my VR4!

So they do pay through the teeth for insurance!

Pescha!

enigma
20-10-2003, 05:33 AM
Conversation goes like this:

spotty youth: hello I would like to insure my car

Insurance company: how old are you?

spotty youth: 21

Insurance company: hahahahahahahahahahaha 'click'

again

spotty youth: 23

Insurance company: hahahahahahahahahahaha 'click'

again

spotty youth: 25

Insurance company: hahahahahahahahahahaha £8000 'click'

again

spotty youth: 27

Insurance company: hahahahahahahahahahaha £3000

again

spotty youth: 30

Insurance company: certainly sir, that will be £1000, 'click' hahahahahahahahahahaha

Kieran
20-10-2003, 07:30 AM
You've missed a few bits, Dave...

Kieran: Hello, I would like to insure my car...
Direct Line: Ok, no problem. How old are you?
Kieran: 23
INSERT INTO post VALUES (Cue intake of breath so sharp that several people faint through lack of oxygen)
Direct Line: Riiight.... And what's the car you want to insure?
Kieran: A Mitsubishi Galant GLS...
INSERT INTO post VALUES (Cue the "Let's mug this one" alarm bell going off)
Direct Line: OK.... Any modifications.........?
Kieran: No.
Direct Line: Really?
Kieran: Yes!
Direct Line: Final Answer? Are you SURE?
Kieran: well, I've got a Neutradol Air freshner and some Galant Floormats...
Direct Line: Ha! I knew it! INSERT INTO post VALUES (Sound of £1000 being added to policy)
Direct Line: Any convictions?
Kieran: No.
Direct Line: Aww....Err, I mean, OK...
Direct Line: Any Claims?
Kieran: No..
Direct Line: Oh.... INSERT INTO post VALUES (Flicks through the 'What to do if the quote looks reasonable' handbook)
Direct Line: Ok, sir, That'll be eleventy billion pounds, with an excess equivalent to the national debt of a small south african country!
Kieran: WHY?!?!
Direct Line: Because you were born on the day the moon was in the constellation of Orion! That makes you a high risk driver!! Mwahahahahahaha! INSERT INTO post VALUES (click)

Japmetal
23-10-2003, 11:52 PM
I got quoted £1300 for this year's insurance this week !!

It turns out that they stil had the accident which robbed me of my last car outstanding on their system 10 MONTHS after I got paid out from the other ins. company !! A quick phonecall & a very nice woman on the other end sorted it, reinstated my 4 years no claims [they'd cut me down to one !] and the policy came down to a 'more reasonable' £745 :mad:

TWATS !!!! [I feel much better now !!]

Kieran
24-10-2003, 07:36 AM
I had a very similar situation in the past, except... I'd NEVER made a claim!!!!:Ponder: :mad: :mad2:

It turns out that someone with a 'car just like mine' had their stereo nicked and for some weird reason, it had gone down on my records!:confused:
Two phonecalls and a faxed letter later, it was sorted, but having a quote for £1600ish come through for a Fiat Cinquecento Sporting was a bit of a shock!!!:D

Pescha
24-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I got mine last week for a year, mine is $465 NZ so thats $155 UK!

sweet :thumb1:

Pescha!

Spirit
24-10-2003, 07:43 AM
Thats an absolute bargain Pescha !

Pescha
24-10-2003, 07:50 AM
I know and its fully covered for everything!

Pescha!

dybmapi
03-11-2003, 07:41 PM
I now feel very sick! I was in Christchurch last year and spent a day drooling at the garages. You guys get cars so cheap! I very nearly bought a VR4 and had it shipped back to england! Yes it was that cheap! Everywhere I turned I saw high performance motors INSERT INTO post VALUES (Skylines and Evos) driven by similar spotty youths that favour Corsas and Saxos here. I take it insurance is dirt cheap too along with fuel and road taxes?
It used to be the same thing in Russia. They bought nice cars like VR4s in auctions in Japan, put them on a boat, paid customs duties in Vladivotsok, then the cars started getting around Russia.

i got mine in the Urals, 2 400 km east of Moscow, for 9 500 $. it is a 1996, had around 97 000 kms, and it is real fine. In Moscow, most VR4s cost between 13 and 14 000 $.

Have fun,

Pierre

:cool: