PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with MMCS

TRO
17-05-2006, 06:55 AM
Hey all, pretty new to the site, going to be a fully paid member later this month.

Got my vr about a month back now, and its totally stock standard. Its a '99 ... quick photo - http://secure.nzgate.com/tro/VR4/VR4%20005.jpg - First thing i wanna do to it is hook up a xbox to the in dash screen so it will run under the TV option.

Now what im wondering is where in it do i find the MMCS system is it in the dash or...? Heard that it was on the right hand side of the boot, found the nav unit on the left hand side, the right hand compartment was empty, took the screws out and compartment out in hope of finding it under, only to find metal /Grrr

Also, once i do find it does it just have AV ins to run to the TV option?

Any help would be great, but can understand if this kind of info is only for paid members. Hope to meet you all at the next meet.

Cheers,
TRO

dickytim
17-05-2006, 07:41 AM
hi tro, the tv diversity unit would be under the front seat I believe the you can plug in the x box there, I belive brad would be the best person to tell you how to do it......... BRAD

TRO
17-05-2006, 07:53 AM
Awesome cheers Tim. Any ideas what this tv diversity unit looks like? just went and had a look under both front seats, looks like there is nothing there that looks like it has AV ins. Unless its under the carpet under the seat?....

Any chance that it could of been ripped out when it came into the country? Hope not, and if it has been hope there is somewhere that i can get my mits on one.... Just wanna be able to let the mrs drive so i can play games on long trips :)

Gly
17-05-2006, 08:14 AM
well unless you find a way to stop the speed signal,
it cuts the picture once you hit 10km ish??

its not gonna be much good, i have the xbox in my car.. but im using a indash TV

i think its been used 5 times (at most) in the last year... (and i do drive alot)
just there for **** factor

bradc
17-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Ok, my tv tuner was on the right side of the boot, but it sounds as if you don't have the tv tuner at all, it was probably taken out at some point. Did you find a whole heap of cables in the right side of the boot?

One thing to bear in mind is that even if you did have a tv tuner, the screen turns off once you start moving, something I still haven't managed to figure out how to fix yet. I beleive it has something to do with the sat nav system detecting movement.

TRO
17-05-2006, 08:44 AM
ah true, gutted

Looks like im going for a roof mount screen then :pimp2:

Cheers heaps for your help guys, appreciate it :D

Spirit
17-05-2006, 08:56 AM
One thing to bear in mind is that even if you did have a tv tuner, the screen turns off once you start moving, something I still haven't managed to figure out how to fix yet. I beleive it has something to do with the sat nav system detecting movement.

Not sure if it helps at all Brad, but on my previous VR4 I had a Pioneer dash mounted screen and dvd player fitted. One of the cables on that was to link to the handbrake so that when it was released the screen turned off - of course we forgot to wire that in :evilgrin: - could it be the same ?

bradc
17-05-2006, 09:32 AM
I've tried driving with the handbrake up one notch, rolling down a steep hill with the car in neutral, rolling down the same hill with the engine off but ignition on, etc etc.

The reason why I think it is based on the GPS movement is that if I slowly drive at say 10kmh or so then it will turn off after 4-5 seconds. But if I floor it off the line and accelerate as quickly as possible, I can get up to 70kmh (4 seconds or so) and then it turns off.

My theory is that it takes a couple of seconds for the GPS system to figure out the car is moving, once it does that then the tv shuts off.

I think that if you cut just the right wire from the navigation box on the left side of the boost I think that the MMCS system will work even when moving, I think that the nav box must send a signal either to the tv tuner or to the lcd screen, and turn the tv off.

Spirit
17-05-2006, 09:53 AM
Ahh right, didn't realise you had done all that - must say your theory sounds right, bummer !

Kenneth
17-05-2006, 09:55 AM
if it is the GPS unit, then find the GPS reciever and disconnect it.

IIRC gps needs line of sight?

bradc
17-05-2006, 10:06 AM
AFAIK there is the big silver box at the back left of the boot and that is it. Keiran might know if there is a seperate GPS unit, but I don't think so