PDA

View Full Version : possible problem wif alarm?

Rikki
18-05-2006, 08:07 AM
as i parked my car last night, i used the standard remote to lock the car and set the alarm - worked as normal. however about a minute later, the indidcator lights started flashing (about 10 times i reckon). This morning as i moved my car, again i did the same thing, and again it started flashing.

I dont know why this is - anyone help? new problem as never came across this before.

Physician
18-05-2006, 08:38 AM
as i parked my car last night, i used the standard remote to lock the car and set the alarm - worked as normal. however about a minute later, the indidcator lights started flashing (about 10 times i reckon). This morning as i moved my car, again i did the same thing, and again it started flashing.

I dont know why this is - anyone help? new problem as never came across this before.

Well, all sorts of possibilities here ..... and also depends on the alarm brand.

First thing I would personally look at is to ensure the battery earth lead is tight ....... remove, clean and re-attach.

Any 'shorting' will cause this type of problem - possibly moisture also.

Rikki
18-05-2006, 09:07 AM
the alarm is the standard Cobra. Right enough it was wet n windy last night, but i have never came across this before. could this be the only problem? or most likely?

mpau009
18-05-2006, 09:11 AM
I have a different brand, but if it has been set off, or disurbed, it flashes out code when i next unlock the car, to tell me which sensors have been activated, also when my interior light switch on one door failed (the alarm uses it as well), it added an extra beep, and some flashes to tell me what was wrong.

It might be something similar? Would pay to check the manual, otherwise you could try disconnecting the power to erase any fault codes or the like (unless it has a battery backup like mine:scholar: )

Might be somewhere to start

soapy1978
18-05-2006, 10:54 AM
as above some alarms flash codes at yu it might be telling you a fualt in the alarm you will have to look it up as not shore on corbas sorry or it might just be one of your door contacts is not laching propally

darren

g6acb
18-05-2006, 11:52 AM
On the standard cobra the warning codes are communicated through the red LED on the dash and the indicators will flash 4 times instead of once when you unlock the car using the remote

LED warning light

Single Flash ..... One alarm state caused by opening of boot, bonnet or doors

Twin Flash ..... One alarm state triggered by optional microwave sensor

Tipple Flash .... Alarm triggered by Ultrasonic Sensor or Glass Break (as if you need an LED to tell you that /pan )

Quad Flash .... Alarm triggered by an attempt to start the car

all of these codes dissapear when the ignition is turned on

Edit// can post up the user instructions for the library if it helps (Optimum HF3 Security system SP029742 Diamond Collection) I assume yous is the same as mine ..... no mention of indicators flashing more than 4 times though???//

Rikki
18-05-2006, 01:06 PM
i have not been able to see the LED flashing, but the indicators do flash about 10 times before they stop. only seems to happen after i have locked the car and even then i only just noticed it last night. i will check all the connections when i get home - if i cant see a problem will any old electrical engineer be able to source the fault?

Spirit
18-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Check the battery in your remote. check all the doors and boot/bonnet are shut properly......it may even be the nicads in the siren itself are fecked and you need a new siren - had two on my VR4's go - around £45 each

Rikki
19-05-2006, 08:48 AM
hmm... i am not too sure about this. i checked the doors etc when i got in and found one window ever so slightly open. i still havent got round to checking the connections however after parking it last night i decided to wait and see what it did - it flashed 28 times! thats a lot of flashes lol.

could this still be the connections, or is it buggered?

Nick Mann
19-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Does your siren work? If you hold down the small button does the alarm go off?

Rikki
19-05-2006, 01:14 PM
ill try it when i get back tonight. oh and the LED under the steering column flashes constantly - dunno if thats normal but hey

Rikki
19-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Does your siren work? If you hold down the small button does the alarm go off?

Nick,

No the alarm does not go off at all so am guessing the whole thing is gubbed. when i hold the button down it flashes the indicators at me, not a squeak.

g6acb
19-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Hoik the siren out of the GLS your selling and plug that in the V6?????

Sounds like the alarm is going off if the indicators flash 28 times (timed to go of after 30 seconds)

Rikki
22-05-2006, 08:22 AM
Hoik the siren out of the GLS your selling and plug that in the V6?????

Sounds like the alarm is going off if the indicators flash 28 times (timed to go of after 30 seconds)

i am not bothered about the alarm box to be honest, it was just the lights - i wanted them to stop flashing. i am guessing the alarm will cost a bit to replace / repair? just i wanna keep the alarm in the GLS.