PDA

View Full Version : Manual ECU vs Tiptronic ECU

BraindG
17-10-2003, 08:19 AM
is there any difference?

im just wondering, as theres also i chance i spiked my ECU, and screwed it.. so if i was to get another one. could i stick one in from a auto?

just found out, that on most modern cars, you should switch your lights on before jumping a car, which helps apparently - or at least saves on spikes of electricity running through the system.

thanks

zedy1
17-10-2003, 08:53 AM
ecu are the same

-LegnumVR4-
17-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Yeah they are the same.

BraindG
17-10-2003, 09:14 AM
thought so.. cheers!

Nick VR4
17-10-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by BraindG

just found out, that on most modern cars, you should switch your lights on before jumping a car, which helps apparently - or at least saves on spikes of electricity running through the system.

thanks

Below is the procedure how to jump start VR4's from the owners manual

1)Connect one end of one jumper cable to the + terminal of the discharded battery , and the other end to the + terminal of the booster battery.
2)Connect one end of the other jumper cable to the - terminal of the booster battery and the other end to the engine block of the vehicle
3)start the engine of which is the booster vehicle and let run for a few minutes , Then start the engine of the discharged vehicle
4)After the engine has started disconnect cables in reverse order.

Is doesnt say anything about putting lights on to remove possible spikes, but I would suggest you do that anyway and on both cars, putting the heated rear window on as well is good as this takes quite a bit of power to do.

hope this helps

BraindG
17-10-2003, 10:05 AM
you know.. why the bloody hell didnt i look in the manual!?..

duuuuh!... lol.. thanks Nick.. me feels like a bit of a wolly now

Nick VR4
17-10-2003, 10:08 AM
No worries
I saw your pics and didnt put 2 & 2 together either doh

Maybe that procudure should be added to Q@A section or somewhere ?

Brind
17-10-2003, 07:50 PM
Huh? why? unless the other battery is seriously buggered INSERT INTO post VALUES (not just run down) it shouldn't effect anything.

Start the engine of the vehicle giving the jump and simply connect leads to the other vehicle, and attempt to start it.
Of course you will get a voltage drop but unless you have problems it won't make any difference what so ever.

SGHOM
17-10-2003, 08:01 PM
just a tip, but if anyone is thinking of buying some jump leads, [ just in case ] buy the best you can get. the DIY one's can cause more problems than they cure. the current running between 2, 12 volt batteries is very high. get leads which are at least 600 amp rated, they cost more, but "hey, your worth it " :D

Brind
17-10-2003, 08:03 PM
Have to agree.
You try starting a large vehicle with a flat battery.. you will have no chance with thin cheapy leads.

Nick VR4
17-10-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Brind
Have to agree.
You try starting a large vehicle with a flat battery.. you will have no chance with thin cheapy leads.

No coz the leads melt or start glowing :eek:

Spirit
18-10-2003, 01:45 AM
Sound advice that, loads of times seen people not start cars due to crap leads - tight wads !