PDA

View Full Version : oil leak

kookie
22-05-2006, 04:02 PM
Hello people, would anyone know if the sump gaskets are prone to leaking,have changed oil pressure switch, thinking it was that but still have the LEAK, 2.4 GDI. Thanks in advance

BraindG
22-05-2006, 04:37 PM
As far as im aware, they arn't really a issue. I have never seen any with that problem. Has it been off do you know? and is the oil deffo coming from there, and not higher up?

ritch_w
22-05-2006, 04:39 PM
can you get a picture to show where the leak is coming from?

kookie
22-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Don,t think its coming from higher up, very hard to tell lying on my back, but the rim of sump is oily, thought it might have been flying up there, will try and see if i can get it on a ramp and have a really good look, do you know if it is a easy job to replace sump gasket or does it involve a lot of Very HARD GRAFT,Thanks again

ritch_w
22-05-2006, 10:26 PM
do you know if it is a easy job to replace sump gasket or does it involve a lot of Very HARD GRAFT,Thanks again

not hard but u'd need to dump the oil before taking off the sump before replacing the sump gasket or re-seal

kookie
24-05-2006, 11:05 AM
not hard but u'd need to dump the oil before taking off the sump before replacing the sump gasket or re-seal

THanks guys, didn't know if a lot has got to be removed before hand. will try and get it in the garage nex week. Thanks again

Wodjno
24-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Give it a good clean up, all round the sump area and wherever there is any other oil traces. Then give it another lok at the end of the day.. Maybe you will be able to pin point the source of the oil better.. :happy:

kookie
24-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Give it a good clean up, all round the sump area and wherever there is any other oil traces. Then give it another lok at the end of the day.. Maybe you will be able to pin point the source of the oil better.. :happy:

I will do just that, thanks ( weather permitting) bloody awful down here

The Vee
25-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Not sure about the GDi, but if it's done in the same way as the V6 / VR4 then there's no gasket, just done with correct sealant. Removing sump when bolts are out can be tricky as it will be stuck fast and care must be taken not to bend the flange if prying it off with a lever - there is a lug near the rear for this and Mitsi even have there own tool for it. As I say, you'd need to check it's the same on your engine, but suspect it may well be as it's from the same manufacturer. They don't often leak, so as others have suggested, do check carefully for other sources first.

zedy1
25-05-2006, 10:14 PM
have you checked your front crank oil seal

g6acb
25-05-2006, 10:31 PM
Not sure about the GDi, but if it's done in the same way as the V6 / VR4 then there's no gasket, just done with correct sealant. Removing sump when bolts are out can be tricky as it will be stuck fast and care must be taken not to bend the flange if prying it off with a lever - there is a lug near the rear for this and Mitsi even have there own tool for it. As I say, you'd need to check it's the same on your engine, but suspect it may well be as it's from the same manufacturer. They don't often leak, so as others have suggested, do check carefully for other sources first.

Exactly the same on the GLS too, so it follows that the GDi is the same.... had a leak in the oil pan seal on my old GLS - you really need to take your time getting it off not to bend the edges, and also to remove all trace of the original sealant...

.... just dont ask what I used to seal it back up with...:inquisiti

BraindG
25-05-2006, 10:45 PM
.... just dont ask what I used to seal it back up with...:inquisiti

:thinking: ...... :inquisiti .....:lipsrseal ......:anxious: ......:huh: ....../Hmmm ....../duh..... oh bloody hell.. ok, what did you use?

g6acb
25-05-2006, 11:00 PM
No More Nails

worked a bloody treat as well.....

for the 10k I ran it after until someone rear - ended me and wrote the car off

So i cant vouch for its long term effectivness:inquisiti

psbarham
26-05-2006, 07:03 PM
now bathroom sealent is do-able .....just , silicone is just about acceptable , but no more nails !!!!!!!!! do gdi's have an oak sump ?

kookie
06-06-2006, 11:07 PM
now bathroom sealent is do-able .....just , silicone is just about acceptable , but no more nails !!!!!!!!! do gdi's have an oak sump ?
Still haven't got round to looking yet, I think its Bostik that do one called Sticks like S**t and boy does it.