PDA

View Full Version : the mysterious hold button lets work this out once and for all

KEENY
23-05-2006, 08:33 PM
ok many people in this forum has speculated on what the mysterious hold button including me. but nothing solid seems to come out.

so today i put the hold button through its paces and this is what i come up with.

after i pressed the hold button i noticed that the take off was a lot smoother it didnt jerkor snatch as i pulled away. it was a nice smooth transaction.

the gears also changed very quickly again it was a smooth transaction. it seemed to change gear every time it hit 30,000 revs. even in kickdown which felt a little wierd hearing the gears change so rapid in kickdown.

being that the gears change at 30,000 revs there was a little power loss in getting to high speeds, so the boy racer in you leave it off but if you want that extra smooth ride on the way to the office leave the hold on.

so here are some questions....

1. being that the gears change at 30,000 revs would this help fuel consumption?

2. would changeing the gears so quickly shorten the life of the gear box?

3. i heard that the hold button was for taking off slowly in ice weather. if this is the case then whay have the L function on the gear shift?

4. has any of my research in finding out the true nature of the hold button helped in anyway? lol

The Vee
23-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Errr 3000 revs I think!! But yes I understood it was more for icy conditions. I believe also, it holds the gear from selecting No.1 and is also used for holding downhill in these conditions as well, but you maybe able to confirm this as I don't actually have an auto/pan

I-S
23-05-2006, 10:05 PM
See here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12890).

after i pressed the hold button i noticed that the take off was a lot smoother it didnt jerkor snatch as i pulled away

That's cos it started in 2nd gear.

the gears also changed very quickly again it was a smooth transaction. it seemed to change gear every time it hit 30,000 revs. even in kickdown which felt a little wierd hearing the gears change so rapid in kickdown.

See shift pattern linked in other thread.

1. being that the gears change at 30,000 revs would this help fuel consumption?

Low revs doesn't necessarily mean low consumption. Fuel consumption is proportional to the product of revs and throttle position (to a vague approximation). In other words, WOT at 2000rpm in 4th will use more fuel than 1/3rd throttle at 3000rpm in 3rd. Driving around with the hold mode engaged the whole time will NOT improve fuel consumption as you now have a tall-geared 3-speed box which will labour the engine when climbing hills.

3. i heard that the hold button was for taking off slowly in ice weather. if this is the case then whay have the L function on the gear shift?

They achieve complete opposite functions. "3", "2" and "L" allow you to keep low gears at high revs. "Hold" keeps high gears at low revs. The latter is what you want for limiting torque at the wheels in snow. The former is for engine braking on hills, or performance driving in lieu of tiptronic mode (which, with the mitsubishi tip logic replaces both).

4. has any of my research in finding out the true nature of the hold button helped in anyway? lol

Not really... has mine? :p

Also note, using Hold will bypass the Invecs II "brain" and make it into a very dumb 3 speed box.

I-S
23-05-2006, 10:10 PM
PS, can you spot the mistake in the shift pattern picture?