PDA

View Full Version : leaky gearbox.

SGHOM
17-10-2003, 07:44 PM
booked my legnum in this morning to have the leak fixed, which should have been fixed weeks ago !!:mad: [ sump seal allready replaced ] got a call from mitsy this lunchtime, saying the car was fine, & there was no oil leak !!! WTF !! those of you following from the Ibis to the pod will confirm that there is definatley something coming from underneath my car ?? so I told the guy this & also the fact that it took 3 litres of ATF to get 100 miles on the M1. " Oh, we better take another look then " eventually, problem found, a hairline crack in the gearbox sump, "not noticable to the human eye," [ bollox !!! ] causing the leak, but only under gearbox stress, IE hard acceleration or prolong running ?? even though the underside had been steam cleaned previously by them, they did not detect this crack :Ponder: :Ponder: so, new sump on order, fitted next friday at a cost of approx £200. checked warranty, & yes, you guessed........... not covered :Cry1: :Cry1:

BraindG
17-10-2003, 07:56 PM
200 quid isnt to bad - but still would have been nice it it was covered under warranty

Brind
17-10-2003, 08:01 PM
Glad you found the cause!!
They probably cocked up what they did before and claimed it was the sump casing instead so they didn't look stoopid.

Kieran
17-10-2003, 10:22 PM
£200 is a bit of a kick in the balls, especially when it looks like they've misdiagnosed it previously, but I guess that there's many things far more expensive that could have been causing that impromptu smoke show every time you booted it:D

wirdy
17-10-2003, 11:04 PM
Glad they've found the problem derek.... but surely you'll be losing the ablity to create a smoke screen / oil slick at will, so what's next? machine guns in yer front spoiler? or those spiked things that come out of the middle of your matrixes? :)
INSERT INTO post VALUES (Just a thought...if you have a set of matrix alloys do you have to call them a set of 'matrices'?) ....I must have too much time on my hands....hmmmm

Spirit
18-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Yeah £200 is not too bad but I agree you should persue the "You screwed it up last time" avenue to try and get that price down a bit !

Mo has just paid £92 for ATF and filter from Mitsy - is this part of the price too ?

SGHOM
08-11-2003, 10:32 PM
free to good home... one used gearbox sump..... withe alledged crack in it ?? :Ponder: looks perfectly ok to me ?? further investigation required. :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Kieran
08-11-2003, 11:17 PM
But is your car still doing an impersonation of the Exxon Valdez, or is it sorted?

SGHOM
08-11-2003, 11:26 PM
if it aint sorted this time, Mitsy's of Sheff.. beware !! :mad: it needs a dammed good thrashing over a long period now. another chore !!:D :D :D

Kieran
09-11-2003, 12:20 AM
Oh poor you:D How will you ever cope?:biglaugh:

SGHOM
09-11-2003, 11:23 PM
been to Ikea In Nottingham with my 1st wife today, just an excuse to upset her on the M1 !! :D :D no sign of a exon valdez, so fingers crossed !! [ the car was ok as well !! ]

wirdy
09-11-2003, 11:31 PM
That's good news Derek, so no desk-banging at the dealers required!

I don't wish to pry INSERT INTO post VALUES ( okay then..... I do ); but are you a member of some religous cult?........how many wives have you got and can you fit them all in the Legnum for trips to Ikea??:biglaugh: :Eyecrazy:

SGHOM
09-11-2003, 11:35 PM
still with wife No 1. :Cry1: :Cry1: keeps her on her toes though !!:D :D

Spirit
10-11-2003, 12:01 AM
:lolz: ....and congrats on the oil leak situ mate :D

Kieran
10-11-2003, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by wirdy
I don't wish to pry INSERT INTO post VALUES ( okay then..... I do ); but are you a member of some religous cult?........how many wives have you got and can you fit them all in the Legnum for trips to Ikea??:biglaugh: :Eyecrazy:

I'm glad someone else asked that... I was wondering too!