PDA

View Full Version : 5 speed box with extras

je077
25-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Legnum VR4 2.5 tiptronic 5 speed box,
Can anyone tell me if there is like an overdrive which automaticly kicks in.

Let me explain - When the box has just changed from 4th to 5th, after a bit it seems to change again, doing the same speed but the revvs go down some.
If then i go uphill, you can hear it change back up (still in 5th) but its like it comes out of overdrive or something.

The reason i ask is it seems to be playing up, it jumps around when i go up hills, clicking into lower revvs and back to higher revvs (still in 5th) and sounds like its struggling.

Does this make sense to anyone?

BraindG
25-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Have a wee looky at these threads (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=370219), does any of that sound familiar?

SGHOM
25-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Does this make sense to anyone?

complete sense !! It's the 'lockup' mechanism in 4th & 5th. :2thumbsup
did concern me when I 1st got mine, but it's perfectly normal.

je077
25-05-2006, 11:29 PM
So it is supposed to do this, What is the lockup mechanism.
Should it also shudder some so i have to re-adjust the accelerator to stop it.

BraindG - that link doesnt seem to go anywhere.

VR4 MAD
25-05-2006, 11:30 PM
Have a wee looky at these threads (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/search.php?searchid=370219), does any of that sound familiar?

/help What words did you use for the 'search' as the link doesn't work because the search has expired/pan /pan /Grrr

Cheers

/Wyhy

Kieran
25-05-2006, 11:35 PM
Shudder isn't good news. Do a search on 'shudder' and look for posts by me - should give you some idea.

The lockup mechanism works by engaging a couple of clutches within the torque convertor in your Autobox. It effectively locks the torque convertor to the input shaft, and in doing so gives you a direct transmission of power from engine to gearbox, just as you would have in a manual car - the main reason for doing it is to improve MPG.

'Shudder' is a symptom of the lockup not engaging correctly. There's a very detailed explanation of it in the member's area, however I think a search will do you nicely - here's one to get you started:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11313&highlight=shudder

SGHOM
25-05-2006, 11:36 PM
Without getting technical John, then yes, It should do this.

In 1..2..& 3rd gear, the viscous coupling provides drive. ie; there is ATF between the the impellers in the gearbox. in 4th & 5th, the impellers 'lock' together to give 'direct' drive, hence the change in engine note as the gears lock.

It does feel like the box is 'hunting' for gears in 4th & 5th, [ It also does it in tiptronic ]
does that make sense ?? HIC !! :5shots: :5shots:

je077
25-05-2006, 11:47 PM
Went through your link Kieran which made me feel a bit better - It seems i not only need to use the correct fluid but need to renew my membership coz it wouldnt let me any further.

Didnt even know it had run out!!!!!!

SGHOM
25-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Didnt even know it had run out!!!!!!

the fluid or the membership ?? :evilgrin: :2thumbsup :5shots: :5shots:

je077
25-05-2006, 11:55 PM
By the sounds of it both

I'M STUFFED (temporarily)

je077
26-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Thanks for all your help guys

Kieran
26-05-2006, 07:58 AM
:scholar: No problems. There's also a guide in the member's area showing you how to change your ATF - the proper way!!:book: