PDA

View Full Version : Replacing side light bulbs

Rupert-The-Dog
26-05-2006, 08:53 PM
/help

Sorry for what may be a rather simple question, but I need to replace a side front light bulb on my 2001 Galant Estate. Can someone tell me how I remove the old bulb; does the bulb and mount come out of the light housing, or do I remove the back of the light housing, or something else.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Kieran
26-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Welcome to the club!/Wyhy

And you're not alone.... One of the more..... 'Fun' jobs this!!! /grr

Have a read of this:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13647&highlight=sidelight

Loads of other info on here - just use the search button:scholar:

Let me guess..... Engine occasionally tap-tap-tap-taps too? Look for 'Lash Adjusters'.

Enjoy!:book:

g6acb
26-05-2006, 09:12 PM
/Welcome

I think all techniques have been covered in the thread posted.... the Galant must be the only car in the world where changing the headlight / sidelight bulbs merits a 'three spanner' in haynes manual terms.....

just wait till you have to change the number plate light bulbs.....:scholar:

Rupert-The-Dog
27-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and guidance; I wish I could meet whoever designed the light housing and have him/her explain why it is thus.
The referenced thread mentioned the removal of 3 10mm screws, in my case there are 4; one behind the grill, one top left, one top right and a 4th into the wing behind the indicator glass. With them removed, the light housing slides forward enough to remove the head light connector and the rubber gromet allowing access to the sping clip and hence the bulb. Thanks again for the pointers.

kookie
06-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Thanks for your suggestions and guidance; I wish I could meet whoever designed the light housing and have him/her explain why it is thus.
The referenced thread mentioned the removal of 3 10mm screws, in my case there are 4; one behind the grill, one top left, one top right and a 4th into the wing behind the indicator glass. With them removed, the light housing slides forward enough to remove the head light connector and the rubber gromet allowing access to the sping clip and hence the bulb. Thanks again for the pointers.

Took mine to Stealers, it was raining at the time, he told me he just pulled them out, although i was not allowed to watch,got charged a fortune too

AderC
07-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Had the "pleasure" of replacing the sidelight bulb on the passenger side today. Fortunately it was in conjunction with a new battery too so I had some room to work and didn't have to remove the headlight assembly. Definitely not a job I want to have to do too often though...

Annoying that three bulbs have all gone within the space of a couple of days, all on the passenger side! Tailgate stop/tail bulb, license plate bulb and finally the sidelight. 3 separate trips to Halfrauds, each for a single bulb! /Grrr

aDe

stuartturbo
07-01-2007, 09:39 PM
dexterity I did mine with out removing anything.( I have not got the smallest hands either)
Much to soapy and co disbelief

soapy1978
07-01-2007, 10:28 PM
dexterity I did mine with out removing anything.( I have not got the smallest hands either)
Much to soapy and co disbelief

i am still in disbelief mate i waiting for one of mine to go so you can show mw how it is done with out taking light out he he/rally /help

WITZ66
31-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Just to rub salt in the wounds........

I did it without removing the light too, bit of swearing, lot of cursing, plenty of insults to the Japanese...but eventually succeeded.

New bulbs infor 3 days then they blew too...../Grrr