PDA

View Full Version : No lights on the standard meters?

Kalle
27-05-2006, 10:48 AM
I have the standard meters (not the high contrast ones) and when driving at night I can't see how fast I'm driving.. Is this normal for the standards meters? Or should there be some kind of light? Seems strange that there's no light at all.. Even my Colt -90 has lights behind.. I have checked the fuses but all seem ok.

Wodjno
27-05-2006, 10:59 AM
I have the standard meters (not the high contrast ones) and when driving at night I can't see how fast I'm driving.. Is this normal for the standards meters? Or should there be some kind of light? Seems strange that there's no light at all.. Even my Colt -90 has lights behind.. I have checked the fuses but all seem ok.

Is there a light adjusting wheel, on the dash just to the right and behind the steering wheel
:inquisiti

Kalle
27-05-2006, 11:00 AM
No :(

Wodjno
27-05-2006, 11:05 AM

They should be lit up at night. Maybe there is a bad connection somewhere ! It could be as simple as a loose plug behind the dash !I take it you have tried bashing the Duck out of it ?:thinking:

richy rich
27-05-2006, 06:58 PM
it should have 1

i had the car valeted the other day and couldn't see the dash but all you need to do is adjust the wheel

Nick Mann
28-05-2006, 06:48 PM
it should have 1

i had the car valeted the other day and couldn't see the dash but all you need to do is adjust the wheel
/pan You have the high contrast!!

Although, to be fair, My non-high contrast dash in my first V6 had a knob to adjust the dash brightness.

I would say a blown bulb. Good luck taking it all apart!!

richy rich
28-05-2006, 06:50 PM
/pan You have the high contrast!!
is that not standard equipment then

Nick Mann
28-05-2006, 06:57 PM
Did you read the first sentence of the first post??? /pan /duh

I guess type V's don't always have them. Not sure myself on who gets them and who doesn't though.:inquisiti

richy rich
28-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Did you read the first sentence of the first post??? /pan /duh

I guess type V's don't always have them. Not sure myself on who gets them and who doesn't though.:inquisiti
ok didn't read that properly/pan

g6acb
28-05-2006, 08:14 PM
The point is though wether High Contrast dash or not, VR4 or V6/GLS, P plate or 03 plate, Galant or Legnum....

....Every car I have ever seen has a rheostat... the little wirly-gig on right hand of the dash under the instruments - behind the steering wheel that turns the brightness of the instruments up and down - although you probably can't see it sat behind the wheel.....

This is linked in with the centre console lighting - even the lights in the centre armrest / fag storage area

kalle are you saying 'no' you haven't got a rheostat or 'no' you have one but moving it doesn't change anything ????

Do the lights in the climate control / storage box come on when the lights are on??

Unless the bulbs are wired in series then its unlikley that they would all have blown

Nick Mann
28-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Do the lights in the climate control / storage box come on when the lights are on??

Good point. The climate control screen should dim, but all the buttons for it should light up. The lighter socket should be illuminated. The clock should dim.

Kalle
28-05-2006, 10:21 PM
I have no adjustment for the brightness :( Haven't found one at least.. And in the owners manual the differences between the standard meters and the high contrast meters show that there is an adjustment for the high contrast but it does not mention that the standard should have one too...

I will check more thorough about the other lights, but as far as I can remember all lights are working except for the climate control dash (I think that one went out after the meters though)

I am about to buy a high contrast meter anyway so I might as well get the meters apart.. :)

OSiRiS
28-05-2006, 10:28 PM
For those confused, that is a "high contrast" dash below from a Super VR4 (note the purplish glow tinge)

:)

g6acb
28-05-2006, 10:37 PM
kalle, are you 100% you haven't got this dial on your dash??

Cheers axeboy for hijacking your picture

BraindG
28-05-2006, 11:10 PM
kalle, are you 100% you haven't got this dial on your dash??

Cheers axeboy for hijacking your picture

All vr4 Galants/Legnums will have that? :inquisiti

Kalle
29-05-2006, 10:48 PM
No, I do not have it..!
Is there anyone here with the standard meters (not the high contrast)

The clock do dim when I turn the lights on.

Today I noticed that there were some kind of light after all.. :inquisiti Will check more torough when it is really dark outside..

Kieran
30-05-2006, 07:14 AM
No, I do not have it..!
Is there anyone here with the standard meters (not the high contrast)

But even the non-high contrast meters have brightness adjustment! Look at the 5th post in this thread - that's my old GLS, and you can see the dash adjustment to the right of the indicator stalk...:inquisiti

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2528&highlight=Kieran%27s+GLS

If it's deffo not there, maybe try removing the shroud and seeing if there's a connector for the dimmer unit in there?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2629

mpau009
30-05-2006, 07:35 AM
But even the non-high contrast meters have brightness adjustment!

My STR didn't, and my mates galant GLS doesn't either, maybe it was an option, upgrade or something?
But it sounds like theres something more to it than any dimmer switch, my guess would be a blown or wrong bulb, bad/dirty connection or earth or maybe a fuse or something. If you can't find it you might have to think about taking it to an auto electrician, and they might be able to fix it up to how you want it, or fit a dimmer?

Kalle
30-05-2006, 07:55 PM
There seems to be some kind of light, but it is barely noticable.. I'll take it out and check it later. Have some more important things to do first.. (Brembo conversion, custom made exhaust, service on the TEIN coilovers, etc)

Kalle
01-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I think there was just some kind of gap in some contact. Problem solved without doing anything... :thinking:

g6acb
01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Bonus :thumbsup: :thumbsup: