PDA

View Full Version : Problem Solving?

WildCards
28-05-2006, 09:51 PM
Since putting my E8 wheels on, i've been getting a bit of rubbing on the rear arches. I first heard it last week in Swindon, but I had three people in the back and a bootful of heavy sh!t, I've been out for a drive tonight and traveling at high speed around corners or over a bump I get the rubbing again. I've checked the arches, there is nothing obstructing the wheel, or hanging particularly low.

Ever since I got the car i've thought the back end was lower than it should be, and parked up next to some other VR4's I deffo think it is lower. Nearside arch is the worse offender.

Is there anything I can do to ascertain the problem? Could the car be lowered at the back only? or is it likely to be buggered dampers?

Cheers guys

Steve

Nick Mann
28-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Unlikely anyone would lower the car at the back and not the front. IF it is sitting lower than normal it could be tired shocks, but it could also be tired springs.

Have you had a good look under there? Does anything look different to normal?

WildCards
28-05-2006, 10:00 PM
No, i've not looked properly, car was a little warm when I got back this evening.

I'll have a butchers tomorrow, but how can I tell if anythings different? I don't know what i'm looking at anyway! How can I tell if it's the shocks or springs that are tired?

BraindG
28-05-2006, 10:04 PM
use the old finger method... i can fit 3 fingers all the way around.. or is it 4.. no, i think its 3..

Axeboy
28-05-2006, 11:26 PM
Exact same problem with my old car.

Conaboy (new owner of it) has since put on thinner tyres to solve the problem.

:afro:

Wodjno
28-05-2006, 11:40 PM
Are you sure the Offset is correct .. If its not, then they could be sitting slightly wider than standard, thus rubbing.

WildCards
28-05-2006, 11:46 PM
MPBVr4 and Ghanda have these same wheels and not reported any problems. Ghanda even has the TEIN lowering springs on and he doesn't seem to have any trouble.

I'll do the finger test tomorrow, I doubt i'll be able to get more than 4 though, which might indicate a problem, as your's is super Lower Barry.

Kenneth
28-05-2006, 11:53 PM
dickytim put the E7 wheels on his VR-4 and got rubbing in the back. Got his arches rolled and that fixed the problem.

Wodjno
28-05-2006, 11:55 PM
MPBVr4 and Ghanda have these same wheels and not reported any problems. Ghanda even has the TEIN lowering springs on and he doesn't seem to have any trouble.

I'll do the finger test tomorrow, I doubt i'll be able to get more than 4 though, which might indicate a problem, as your's is super Lower Barry.

Yes i agree.. But Gary has the correct tyre size on his wheels :inquisiti
Not sure what Malc has but they look correct :happy:

And if what is stated in your garage is correct :inquisiti Then you have the wrong sized tyres on your car.. /pan

235/55/17 :speechles

This would cause rubbing :scholar:

Hope it's just a Typo :2thumbsup

BraindG
28-05-2006, 11:57 PM
think 3 was a bit of aggregation (sp) more like 2.5.

Wodjno
28-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Steve, your wheels and tyres look very flush with the edge of the wheel arch :inquisiti

WildCards
29-05-2006, 12:06 AM
Hope it's just a Typo :2thumbsup

just been to check, it is a typo 235/45/17 is what on there. However, 2.5 fingers is tight!

Bo!!ox

bradc
29-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Remember that Super's have slightly lower suspension than standard. The evo 7/8 wheels do tend to rub, especially if the car is lowered. Just get the guards rolled and you'll be fine.

WildCards
29-05-2006, 10:30 AM
Remember that Super's have slightly lower suspension than standard. The evo 7/8 wheels do tend to rub, especially if the car is lowered. Just get the guards rolled and you'll be fine.

The front looks as though it's on stilts though. AFAIK it has got the standard suspension setup, no white Ralliart shocks here i'm afraid.

I'll take a piccy later to show you.

BraindG
29-05-2006, 10:33 AM
was it ok before the new wheels? :thinking:

g6acb
29-05-2006, 10:34 AM
might be an idea to count the number of coils in the springs while you are there to compare with others.....

WildCards
29-05-2006, 10:36 AM

Yep, no probs at all

might be an idea to count the number of coils in the springs while you are there to compare with others.....

Good thinking batman

BraindG
29-05-2006, 10:50 AM

Yep, no probs at all

Good thinking batman
If it didnt do it before, then... it must be the wheels... no? :thinking:

WildCards
29-05-2006, 10:55 AM
If it didnt do it before, then... it must be the wheels... no? :thinking:

Thats one way of thinking, but as said, others have these wheels with no problems at all. Perhaps putting the wheels on has simply highlighted the problem, this is what i'm trying to figure out.

bradc
29-05-2006, 10:58 AM
most people with evo7/8 wheels do have rubbing problems though at some stage, especially with heavy loads on.

Wodjno
29-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Thats one way of thinking, but as said, others have these wheels with no problems at all. Perhaps putting the wheels on has simply highlighted the problem, this is what i'm trying to figure out.

But as i said before it also depends on the tyre choice. Your running 235's not 225's and it also depends on the make of the tyre as all 235's are not the same in shape..
As it has also been stated, members have fitted these wheels and had rubbing, you will prolly find that they where running 235's aswell and the members who aren't getting any rubbing(Ghanda) has the correct tyre size choice..

Nick Mann
29-05-2006, 01:24 PM
I have 235/45/17's on. I have only had rubbing once, when the car was well-laden. It could be the goodyear sits wider than the falkens I am running, so catches a bit more.

The front always looks high unless you drop it a lot, the back never looks as bad.

Wodjno
29-05-2006, 02:04 PM
I have 235/45/17's on. I have only had rubbing once, when the car was well-laden. It could be the goodyear sits wider than the falkens I am running, so catches a bit more.

The front always looks high unless you drop it a lot, the back never looks as bad.

Yes you are running 235/45/17's but not with the EVO 8 wheels :D

bradc
29-05-2006, 08:36 PM
The EVO 7 wheels are 17x8 and are 38mm offset, so it won't matter which ones you have installed.

Nick Mann
29-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Yes you are running 235/45/17's but not with the EVO 8 wheels :D

I guess bradc is confirming, but I thought E7 and E8 wheels were the same dimensions, width and offset. There may be a small difference, but there can't be much if they have the same specs?

WildCards
29-05-2006, 10:41 PM
By-the-by, i've got these tyres now, so i'll have to live with it and i'll also be changing my suspension as soon as I have some spare wonga. if i'm going to track this hefty beast, the standard stuff isn't going to cut the mustard.

Thanks all for your comments, thoughts and ideas. El Mucho Epreciado :thumbsup: