PDA

View Full Version : bit of a problem peeps

KEENY
31-05-2006, 07:58 AM
my missus has taken my galant to work cos her car has had it. she just woke me up and told me my car wasnt starting,

i went out there to have a go myself. the was turning over but as soon as it started it stopped again.
so i started it again and kept my foot on the accelerator the car was splutting and sounding ropie and it chucked out a load of smoke. it was almost like there was it was running out f petrol.after about a minute of keeping my foot down i let go of the accelerator and that car was fine.

has anyone come across this problem before? is it something i need to worry about?

the had started fine yesterday and all oil,water and fluid levels are fine.

thanks

bradc
31-05-2006, 09:14 AM
That does sound a little strange Keeny, especially after it fixed itself again, has it been going ok since then?

Physician
31-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Sounds as if not firing on all cylinders.

1] Plugs knackered or damp.

2] Leads damp/wet

After running for a while they dry and engine runs OK ............?????????

KEENY
31-05-2006, 09:44 AM
well it got my other half to work ok. the car just had a service

bradc
31-05-2006, 09:51 AM
you might be right, it could be that something was a little damp or something in the morning and for some reason wasn't too happy at first, at least it is ok now.

KEENY
31-05-2006, 09:53 AM
well im looking foward to tomorrow morning to see if it does it again.

ritch_w
31-05-2006, 12:47 PM
if it was unable to idle, it could be the idle control valve sticking, a good clean with carb cleaner will sort that. - check the workshop manual pages for location / removal

KEENY
05-06-2006, 04:45 AM
ok it did it again but this time it let me drive 30 meters before the engine stalled. i restarted the engine and stright after starting it shut off again.

so i started it again stayed still for 30 seconds keeping the revs to 2000. i drove off and it was as good as gold for the rest of the day.

any new or same conclusion thoughts now guys??

I-S
05-06-2006, 01:03 PM
As above, leads/plugs. If the plugs were changed at the recent service, it may be that a lead wasn't reattached properly, or maybe one of the leads got knackered during removal/refitting. Check whether the plugs were changed, then leads would be the obvious thing to check.

ritch_w
05-06-2006, 02:51 PM
still think its the ISV, especially as its ok when warmed up - the ISV helps the idle and auto choke (i think)

when i had a BMW and the ISV was clogged it would not idle smoothly from cold (and cut out a few times) but ok when warmed up. cleaning fixed ;)