PDA

View Full Version : Any Carisma Owners

SaSha
31-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Just joined this forum and i'm just curious if there any other carisma owners out there that might have already done something to theirs??

I bought the carisma as it was cheap but now i am looking to spend some time on it so i enjoy driving it. I want to install an air intake or even an induction kit but can't seem to find anything for this car. By the looks of it i can only change the filter and get a new oil cap :(

Does anyone own/owned a carisma....what did you do to it to brighten it up????

Need any help i can get.....

Paul Beazer
31-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Welcome Sasha,

I think you "could" be our first charisma owning member (im probably wrong and will shortly be shot down in flames!!). Dont let that put you off, we welcome allsorts (I dont have a VR4, sigh, we even have beemer owners, sorry Ian). Have a wander round the place and feel free to ask lots of Q's.
Oh and enjoy the car.

bradc
31-05-2006, 08:38 PM
Sasha, do you know what engine code your car has? If it is a 6A1x series engine we should be of great help, but if it is a 4G series engine we mightn't be as able to help, but there are still a lot of members in the club with 4 cylinder engines, so someone will be able to help out.

WildCards
31-05-2006, 11:11 PM
It's not a 6 cylinder car brad, so at best it'll be a 4GXX. Although the Carisma has never been a big hit with the modifying masses, so i doubt you'll find anything worthwile Sasha. Best of luck and enjoy the site.

I-S
01-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Carismas have been offered with 1.6 (4G92?), 1.8 GDI (4G93) and 1.9 DI-D (Renault) engines.

As for what you can get... Some carismas used the same 256mm front discs as the 2.0 GLS galant (and early volvo S40/V40, space star, older galants back to '91, etc) and there's plenty of options on discs and pads (my list in member's area).

Engine tuning options are likely to be much more limited (the only mitsubishi to have a truly big range of tuning options is the 4G63T). The 1.6 engine is shared with the old-shape colt, and there was the high performance "Cyborg" version in japan, although I belive this used a MIVEC head.

I don't know of any tuning for the 1.8GDI, but WODJNO might know as he has a Legnum with this engine.

I'd suggest that it's not worth doing too much with the carisma, and save the pennies you'd put into it to then buy a car that's a better start point for what you want.

strapping young lad
01-06-2006, 01:38 PM
yiou could try k&n filters in warrington to see if they sell the type that will fit your car.

i bought mine online but it was last yr and cant remember the url sorry.

SaSha
02-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah I was worried about that when I couldn't find anything for it on the internet. So far all I've managed to find is some brake discs/pads, lowering springs, exhausts and wheels, K&N filter off ebay ( at a pretty high price too  &42 ), and a button which you wire up to your engine an when you press it, the car goes faster, supposedly./pan

I know that carisma is not one of the great cars out there, but for a first car it’s not that bad. I bought it fairly cheap too £360 and all I had to do is fix a hole in the bumper and fit a new headlight - not too bad. Although when I was looking up the charisma, I came across a German web-site where they have some pretty nice carismas with some nice body kits, but I’m not sure whether this is the car I want to spend most of my money on.

http://www.schubbis-garage.de/Neu02.htm - click on galerie on the right hand side and then pick Nicole Buttner – nice body kit.

Found a Latvian web-site which offers a little bit as well: http://www.xenon.lv/lv/index.htm?id=componentin&nmbr=5422&type=5&subcat=!&maker=Mitsubishi&model=Carisma&from=1996&to=2003

Street racer offer surprisingly a bit as well: http://shop.street-racers.co.uk/tsearch.php?search=+carisma&refererid=StreetRacers

But what I was wondering is whether this universal induction kit would fit the carisma? http://www.motorspeed.com/store_main.asp?int_catalog_id=2&int_category_id=8&int_subcategory_id=0&int_product_id=1633

I want to make the car sound nice but can not afford the expensive exhaust yet. /help

WildCards
02-06-2006, 10:59 AM
You could just lower it, upgrade the brakes, wheels and tyres and strip it of any uneccessary weight. That'll do wonders for practical real world speed. if your after good 0-60 figures or big power you have the wrong car, but if you want to show up a few big boys on country lanes, the above should do the trick.

SaSha
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
I think i might do this, although might just save the pennies and get a better car instead, something like a galant,200sx, or a bmw....can only wish...:thinking: :2thumbsup

bradc
03-06-2006, 12:05 AM
just get a VR-4 :)

Alscort
05-06-2006, 01:57 PM
I think i might do this, although might just save the pennies and get a better car instead, something like a galant,200sx, or a bmw....can only wish...:thinking: :2thumbsup

You can have my Galant 2.0l GLS for £1500