PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phone Law 'Confuses Drivers'

Nick VR4
19-10-2003, 04:14 PM
AROUND a third of motorists are confused about, or unaware of, a new law governing the use of mobile phones.

From the beginning of December, new legislation will come into effect making it illegal to hold a mobile phone while driving.

Research from the RAC showed one fifth of the motorists who were aware of the change in the law were wrong in their knowledge of what the new law would comprise.

For example: one per cent of motorists thought that using a hand-held mobile would still be legal; three per cent thought that cradling the phone between your shoulder and your ear would be legal; 15 per cent thought that investing in a simple ear-piece and wire attached to the back of your phone would be legal: and 14 per cent thought that an outright ban of mobile phone use behind the wheel was due to be introduced.

Of those motorists who were aware of the impending law change and had no current hands-free equipment, 20 per cent said that the law change would stop them using their phone entirely.

In addition five per cent said they intended to do nothing about it, but would continue to use their mobile phone illegally. This could result in a fixed penalty of £30 or a fine on conviction of up to £1,000 for such "hardcore" offenders.

A further 16 per cent intended to invest in an ear-piece and wire device, not realising that this will also be illegal after December 1 if you need to handle the phone at any point to operate it.

More than 60 per cent were planning to invest in equipment such as a "Bluetooth" wireless kit or a cradle-mounted hands-free kit that attaches to the dashboard.

RAC spokeswoman Rebecca Bell said: "Our research makes worrying reading and suggests that further explicit guidance is required to ensure that motorists know what they will face when the law changes in December.

"It's estimated that 500,000 motorists are on the phone in their cars at any one time. By our estimation, a good proportion of them - as many as 33 per cent - will deliberately or inadvertently continue to break the law when the use of hand-held phones is prohibited."

The RAC recommends that if you do need to use a phone while in your vehicle that you only do so with a fully-fitted car kit and keep call-making to a minimum.

BraindG
19-10-2003, 04:45 PM
shoot em all!...
:gun2:
its my second biggest pet hate on the road - behind 1st place middle lane hoggers:gun2:

Spirit
19-10-2003, 05:03 PM
I agree, although I do need contact with work when out of the office and have a full hands free kit fitted to my company car.

When in the VR4 I try to avoid touching the phone at all and get Sharon to answer it if she is there - as some of you know when you called me last weekend.

Nick VR4
19-10-2003, 07:33 PM
I got my old company to pay to have a full hands free kit fitted in the VR4
Told them I wouldnt answer my company mobile if I was in the car at all :rolleyes:
Little white lie that one ;)

It was fitted in less than a week :D
And no screws were used for the fixing of the unit :D