PDA

View Full Version : Idleing issues

skynswede
31-05-2006, 11:13 PM
Well i got the wheel bearing squared away, thanks BaindG for the tips. So i hook the neg cable back up to the battery , fire it up and it starts than dies. so i start it up again and this time i find if i give it just a little gas i can hold it at idle but if i let off the gas it dies. Do'es anyone know what might be causing this to happen. Thanks

Kieran
31-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Yeah - don't panic! When you disconnect the battery cables, the ECU is also reset, which basically means uses a factory-default running map whilst it 'learns' the particular characteristics of your engine.

It's nothing to worry about, and usually clears up in 100 miles maximum. During that time, it'll seem hesitant, maybe stall a couple of times (especially if the air-con clicks on at idle) and such, but it's normal.

Oh, and if your car is an automatic, expect similar tantrums from that for a similar length of time - don't panic if the first few shifts are rough!

I-S
01-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Also, make sure you've done the battery terminal up nice and tight. If it's a loose contact then there'll be too much resistance in the circuit. My negative connection died, and car had similar symptoms to yours. Replacing the connector on the cable solved it. Also make sure that the battery terminals are nice and clean.

Physician
01-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Also, make sure you've done the battery terminal up nice and tight. If it's a loose contact then there'll be too much resistance in the circuit. My negative connection died, and car had similar symptoms to yours. Replacing the connector on the cable solved it. Also make sure that the battery terminals are nice and clean.

And very importantly .......... the EARTH :happy: