PDA

View Full Version : whats causing intermittent heavy steering?

KEENY
02-06-2006, 04:48 AM
my galant has just started having an intermittent heavy steering problem.

one minute the stearing will be ok and then the next minute th stearring becomes stiff with steering wheel shake at high speeds.

tire pressure and all wheels are the same. there is plenty of steering fluid and i had the wheel alinement checked and thats fine to.

any thoughts peeps?

Kieran
02-06-2006, 07:28 AM
Yeah, especially if your steering is 'pulsating' when it goes stiff. This is higly likely to be your power steering belt slipping - either because it's contaminated or not tensioned correctly.

There's instructions on here somewhere for tensioning the belts I think...

bradc
02-06-2006, 10:31 AM
Definately got something to do with the power steering, lets just hope it doesn't go for you around a corner at some stage.

Does it seem to happen after certain things, like when you're driving around town mainly, or when the car is warm?

Spirit
02-06-2006, 10:35 AM
I think Kieran is probably right, but if not I suppose it could be the pump itself on the way out ? I know a few peeps have had to replace them.

KEENY
07-06-2006, 09:50 PM
ok my steering sounds like its grinding on something when i turn, any more thoughts lads?

Kieran
08-06-2006, 08:24 AM
ok my steering sounds like its grinding on something when i turn, any more thoughts lads?

That could just be pump noise?

BraindG
08-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Specially if its full lock.. it will make those noises.. have you felt the belt? Had a looky at it? i have seen several belts span, or in bad condition.

KEENY
08-06-2006, 06:14 PM
i have had a look at the belt and it seems fine. i dont think it is the pump as it only makes the sound when you turn to the left from start to full lock.

either way its going to a garage on monday so lets see if they know what it is. also going to get them to check my idle control valve to see if it needs cleaning.

BraindG
08-06-2006, 06:35 PM
i have had a look at the belt and it seems fine. i dont think it is the pump as it only makes the sound when you turn to the left from start to full lock.

So, it makes the noise from the minute you start turning, or when it reaches the end? as its normal for it to make a funny noise jsut before full lock, and on full lock.

KEENY
08-06-2006, 08:17 PM
yeah i know the little squel it makes on full lock and its not that. it starts from start to finnish. it has been sugested that it could be the rubber seal rubbing on the rubber belt due to the heat.