PDA

View Full Version : Air flow

Alscort
02-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Is there any mods I can do to increase my air flow into the standard air box? e.g. another cold air feed cutting into the standard air feed? Or remove any restricting pipes within the air box? :thinking:

Funkstar
02-06-2006, 01:48 PM
I drilled and cut 2 holes at the bottom of the AirBox and fed 2 pieces of vacuum cleaner hose, one from next to the spotlight and another from the grill. Just managed to squeeze them in.

If you do a search, I'm sure SGHOM has done the same.

Can't say it has made much difference though. The standard intake is pretty good as it is.

EDIT\ Here ya go:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4600&highlight=air+flow

Alscort
02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
Wow thats exactly what I wanted to do bar the cone air filter! Cheers for the help mate! :2thumbsup

That has raised another question now! Does having a cone filter mess up your airlow meter?

Rikki
02-06-2006, 02:16 PM
That has raised another question now! Does having a cone filter mess up your airlow meter?

shouldnt do, i have one in mine! just watch the air flow, need to try stop the warm air from the engine getting to the filter, couple of feeds n maybe a heat shield should work :thumbsup:

Alscort
02-06-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh ok Its just I had a mk2 ford Orion 1600 Ghia EFi and I blew the air flow meter due to a cone air filter?

Rikki
02-06-2006, 02:50 PM
you shouldnt have a problem. The MAF on the air intake controls the amount of air going in so that shouldnt be an issue. depending on the size of the cone, you might find the idle revs lift ever so slightly after a week or 2 - thats when the ECU is compensating for the extra air.

Alscort
02-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Does anybody know where I can get those massive green Cone filters then in that case??:iloveyou:

Rikki
02-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Does anybody know where I can get those massive green Cone filters then in that case??:iloveyou:

like the one on my old car? pic is here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10385&d=1147344189)

that one was from piperxonline i think. if you do a search for pipercross or piperx online it might come up. cost me about £80 with the adaptor but the sound of it is superb. everyone keeps commenting on the size of it, and the noise. :scholar:

Gly
02-06-2006, 09:29 PM
get a stainless steal intake :)

Alscort
05-06-2006, 11:53 AM
like the one on my old car? pic is here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10385&d=1147344189)

that one was from piperxonline i think. if you do a search for pipercross or piperx online it might come up. cost me about £80 with the adaptor but the sound of it is superb. everyone keeps commenting on the size of it, and the noise. :scholar:

Yep thats the one!:scholar: Ave you still got it?

Rikki
05-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Yep thats the one!:scholar: Ave you still got it?

yeah i still have it. am selling it with the car though. ill look out the receipt when i get home and tell you where i got it from

Alscort
05-06-2006, 12:38 PM
yeah i still have it. am selling it with the car though. ill look out the receipt when i get home and tell you where i got it from

So you wouldn't take £40 plus postage? /help

That would be good tho cuz I couldn't find it!

Rikki
05-06-2006, 01:07 PM
to be honest i dont think it was visible on the website. what they gave me was effectively a universal filter with the galant adaptor. eBay have filters going for about £30 from the US. I have just bought one of them and although the noise is not as great as the old one, it does the job!