PDA

View Full Version : Anti freeze problems?

amsoil
07-06-2006, 10:40 PM
It became apparent yesterday that many people may not be aware of the problems that can be caused by the different types/ colours of anti freeze that you may have in your car, and as always there is a little story.

Once upon a time, much of the anti freeze you could buy was red and came in different corporate bottles buy wa made by just the one company here in the UK. They went bust. Red anti freeze is now defunct but people still have it in their cars. New manufactures of anti freeze filled the void and produced green and blue coloured anti freeze. Not a problem you may think and really it isn't ,

However...... Should you mix the old red anti freeze with the green or blue what you wont see is that a thick brown sludge comes into existence almost from no where. This sludge will block the radiator and you will not be able to satisfactorily flush it out. You WILL need a new radiator and perhaps pump etc. Symptoms are a car that runs hot for little apparent reason; that eventually blows a head gasket yet still seems to run hot after having this replaced.

This is not the end of the story I am well informed that the lovely blue anti freeze is not so very good at some things in fact if you have alli parts you better loose it as it will allow your nice alli cylinder heads to corrode internally. Not meant to but it will.

There are a couple of exceptions to this (and may be more) My luminous purple stuff is a totally different system and the above doesn’t apply; so different that it cant be tested with the normal anti freeze concentration tests. SO if you have this stuff and get worried give me a call in 5-7 years time and I'll send you out some test strips FOC. The other exception is a clear water replacement imported by Rustbusters Ltd. In a totally different league and price too but does a better job than water wetter .

/applaude

Kieran
08-06-2006, 08:23 AM
I thought a lot of new car manufacturers used 'Red' anti-freeze because it's phosphate free? Such as Vauxhall, VAG and such?

BraindG
08-06-2006, 11:30 AM
hmmmm.. having recently put BLue stuff in, and not remembering what I have previously put in im slightly worried.

WildCards
08-06-2006, 12:07 PM
I've got Amsoil purple :thumbsup:

Wodjno
08-06-2006, 12:37 PM
I've got Amsoil purple :thumbsup:

Purple :inquisiti

Isn't that Red and Blue Mixed /pan

Nice 1 Don :2thumbsup

Theres 1 born every day :klingon:

WildCards
08-06-2006, 12:45 PM
There are a couple of exceptions to this (and may be more) My luminous purple stuff is a totally different system and the above doesn’t apply

:scholar:

Wodjno
08-06-2006, 12:47 PM
:scholar:

Always belive what a salesman tells you :inquisiti Do you Steve. /pan

WildCards
08-06-2006, 12:54 PM
Always belive what a salesman tells you :inquisiti Do you Steve. /pan

No, but it really matters not whether i've got blue, green, purple or bright pink! I'm not about to rush out to change it. Amsoil products have worked wonders in both of my cars up to now, why start being suspicious?

Wodjno
08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
No, but it really matters not whether i've got blue, green, purple or bright pink! I'm not about to rush out to change it. Amsoil products have worked wonders in both of my cars up to now, why start being suspicious?

/Handbag /Hmmm /nag :vulcan: :toilet: :lipsrseal /STP

WildCards
08-06-2006, 01:13 PM
/Handbag /Hmmm /nag :vulcan: :toilet: :lipsrseal /STP

Apologies, i'm in a biting mood atm. Boss/stepdad has pi$$ed me off, my Dads managed to dislocate his shoulder, nursery have 'lost' a pushchair and i've got stacks of work to do at home aswell as here at work. What a day!

amsoil
08-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Not trying to be a salesman here and I am not an anti freeze expert. If you have red, fine. If you have green, fine just don't mix the two. Big warnings about the blue though. :inquisiti

bradc
08-06-2006, 08:36 PM
Over here green is the most popular, but we don't need it for the actual antifreeze properties, we use it for it's ability to reduce corrosion.

Kenneth
08-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Over here green is the most popular, but we don't need it for the actual antifreeze properties, we use it for it's ability to reduce corrosion.

and doesn't it increase the boiling point of the water somewhat?