PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Knocking

Sports GT
08-06-2006, 05:08 AM
Hey guys, once again I'm here with another problem and it's not engine this time... some of you may know about my fabricated Evo gearbox that we made fit on my 6A12TT block... right now we're having a few drivetrain probs but I can say I have noo problems so far with the engine, it pulls like a beast.. the problem we are having however is that when we turn corners, there is an annoying knocking sound on the right front side of the car... and it feels like the axle is slipping... when we move the axle however there is no sound... we're wondering if it is possible that the front differential is mismatching with the rear, as the rear is the one from the A/T tranny... when we raise the car and check however, the axle seems stable and doesn't show any signs of movement or shaking... we have the rear differential from the same Evo we too the gearbox from but again there needs to be slight modification for it to fit, and we're trying to avoid that... any ideas?... It will be much appreciated..

Kenneth
08-06-2006, 05:12 AM
I think its common. buggered if I know what it is though. Had it in my previous Galant, and now get it in my Legnum. Am wondering if it is related to a small amount of play in the steering rack, a CV joint or maybe something else entirely. Its a right annoying noise though!

If its not a common problem, maybe its to do with the way I drive... :P

Sports GT
08-06-2006, 06:39 AM
it's beyond a CV joint noise... it feels like the car pulls suddenly in the direction it's being steered everytime it happens... like something is loose and keeps slipping...

Kenneth
08-06-2006, 06:41 AM
yeah, mine is getting a bit that way too... find it tramlines excessively now. The only thing that I have come up with is play in the steering rack... which I know is there, just get someone to turn the wheel while holding the steering rod... can feel it clunk when changing direction.