PDA

View Full Version : Engine management

Alscort
08-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Its properly nothing but thought I’d check. My car was sat idling for about 20mins, I then went to the garage and got some fuel then drove about a ½ mile up the road and joined a dual carriageway. Whilst I was joining the carriageway I noticed my engine management light flicked on for approximately 5 seconds. It has not come on again and I have driven it for 2 days and its felt normal and not come back on? Enlighten me please./help

Rikki
08-06-2006, 01:10 PM
might be the distributor, or could just be something like a loose connection / fault. mt distributor went on my GLSi and the light flicked on and off every now and again, then it started cutting out for no reason - kinda dangerous when the steering and brakes are operated by the electronics.

ritch_w
08-06-2006, 01:20 PM
my management light came on / went off once on one of my previous V6s, got the dealer to check it out, but there were no fault codes found. never happened again.

could just be "one of those things"

if occurs regulary you'll either need to find the fault codes (is there info on these in the members section???:inquisiti ) or take it to a dealer.

Kenneth
08-06-2006, 11:16 PM
there is an article on here somewhere (possibly in the members section, but try looking anyway) about how to extract CEL codes using the ODBII diagnostic port. (ground pin 1)

If the CEL illuminated, then it probably stored the error code, and will tell you what it was.

mpau009
09-06-2006, 12:01 AM
:thinking: I'm a bit dubious about using that guide anymore, it certainly flashes out the faults, but from what i understand now, it seems there is a bunch of different types of fault codes, or some of them are wrong, i was getting one which according to the diagnostic list there was some temp sensor thing, but when mitsi ran a proper diagnostic they picked it up as an AYC sensor fault, which makes a lot more sense looking back.

I could be wrong, but if its not too much hassle, i would get it properly diagnosed for peace of mind, it took less than half an hour, and didn't cost much. But certainly use the guide to see if there are any faults stored.

zedy1
09-06-2006, 12:25 AM
might be the distributor, or could just be something like a loose connection / fault. mt distributor went on my GLSi and the light flicked on and off every now and again, then it started cutting out for no reason - kinda dangerous when the steering and brakes are operated by the electronics.

if its a 8g galant then it doesnt have a dizzy

Rikki
09-06-2006, 08:04 AM

ooooooh, i learn something new everyday! cheers :2thumbsup

psbarham
09-06-2006, 08:13 PM
i know the V6's are that good that you never have to lift the bonnet but next to the air box is the dizzy

zedy1
09-06-2006, 10:05 PM
i know the V6's are that good that you never have to lift the bonnet but next to the air box is the dizzy

paul i meant the gls 2.0

psbarham
10-06-2006, 08:04 AM
paul i meant the gls 2.0
DOH!!!!!/duh i knew that :embarasse