PDA

View Full Version : camber / tyre wear

ritch_w
08-06-2006, 10:05 PM
the inside edges of all my tyres are wearing quite badly - especially the front ones.

I've had the tracking checked and been told its within tolerance.

as my car is lowered (supposedly -30mm front -20mm rear) i'm guessing the camber could be out

so what can i do rectify this? can camber be adjusted?/help

Kenneth
08-06-2006, 11:29 PM
drive faster around the corners so the the tyres wear more evenly...

tig202
08-06-2006, 11:32 PM

:iloveyou:

ritch_w
09-06-2006, 06:40 AM

I'll remember that on the motorway when i go through to my office today ;)
:party3:

Gly
09-06-2006, 07:10 AM
you'll have to buy a camber kit for it

been covered in this topic, with links to some kits

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15555&highlight=camber

ritch_w
09-06-2006, 09:11 AM
thanks

Roadrunner
09-06-2006, 12:01 PM
the inside edges of all my tyres are wearing quite badly - especially the front ones.

I've had the tracking checked and been told its within tolerance.

as my car is lowered (supposedly -30mm front -20mm rear) i'm guessing the camber could be out

so what can i do rectify this? can camber be adjusted?/help
The problem is that the tolerance on front toe-in/out is -.09' to +.09' which is a big arc. If the fronts are scrubbing on the inside, they've got too much toe-out. I always insist on the fronts being parallel (i.e. neither toe-in nor toe-out) and my tyres wear evenly across the tread. The other problem, of course, is that you can't get an accurate reading with scrubbed tyres, you really need to be setting it up right on new rubber.

There is a degree of adjustment for toe-in/out on the rears an, again, I'd recommend more toe-in (the tolerance on the rear is .00' to +0.18').

I'd suggest you get the tracking checked as above before you go looking at any camber kits.

Cheers,
Brian

pezza
09-06-2006, 12:21 PM
Yeh I would agree with mr H7 there.. my car has not been lowered and with 7 inch wide rims I had excessive inside edge wear... going to 235s the problem is much mroe apparent.

I think Mr Mann has had his toe settings changed to the max angles within the tolerance not sure if he has commented on tyre wear since then....but I am thinking of trying parallel settings too, next time round.

Wodjno
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
I was thinking that, wouldn't it be a good idea that the members that don't have any issues with inner tyre wear note down the settings when they have there tyres changed or any time that they have there tracking checked or altered. Then with this info and the information of whether they have had there car lowered & by how much, size and width of wheels and tyres ! We can start to build a table of stats, so that when someone is having an issue with inner edge wear or any uneven wear, then they can refer to the table and try the settings that is nearest to the set up of there own car :inquisiti

Nick Mann
11-06-2006, 08:40 PM
My inside front tyre wear was bad. When measured properly by someone who seemed to know what he was doing, the front wheels were toed out to the maximum of the spec. He brought them back to just inside parallel (a small amount of toe-in, well within specs) and the wear became much better, but still apparent. I have now had the ball joints done and the tracking re-checked, but I don't think I have any tyres in good enough condition to now monitor if the wear is any better or not. So next set of boots will tell for sure if the problem is solved or not. I still have a few thousand miles left in these yet, though, so no news soon!!

MPBVr4
11-06-2006, 10:48 PM
With standard rims and setting at near as dammit parallel I got 15K miles before inside edges became illegal.

I had one track rod end done just before I put Enkei's on with F1's. The car came back with what looked like a fair bit of "toe in". I noticed a bit of feathering on the outside edges, so had the tracking set back to parallel. I will watch and update as they wear.:inquisiti

Wodjno
12-06-2006, 09:53 AM
With standard rims and setting at near as dammit parallel I got 15K miles before inside edges became illegal.

I had one track rod end done just before I put Enkei's on with F1's. The car came back with what looked like a fair bit of "toe in". I noticed a bit of feathering on the outside edges, so had the tracking set back to parallel. I will watch and update as they wear.:inquisiti

Good info there :2thumbsup Is your car lowered(if so, how much). What size are you tyres ?

MPBVr4
12-06-2006, 10:18 AM
Good info there :2thumbsup Is your car lowered(if so, how much). What size are you tyres ?

The car isn't lowered. 15K was done on std post facelift rims with 225/50 x 16 NCT's (Crap tyre by the way, awful road noise)
Current wheels 17" x 71/2J Enkie's with 225/45 x 17 Eagle F1's on (only done about 800 miles so far).:2thumbsup

Kalle
04-07-2006, 01:54 PM
So If I want to adjust the camber after lowering the car I need a kit like this?
Front:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/INT999030.htm

Rear:
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/INT999029.htm

Can anyone confirm that they fit the VR-4?

Two other kits:
http://store.racinglab.com/mi94gaspsuca.html

and

http://store.racinglab.com/mi99gaspsuca.html

Which ones do fit?

ciderisgr8
10-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Further to this I have the standard facelift wheels and have not lowered the car and have very excessive tyre wear on the inside 1/4 of the tyre,(fronts only)esp after motorway driving last weekend.
I have noticed that when the car is jacked up the wheel pulls into the car and when lowering the wheel pushes out from the car, its very noticable aswell.
When phoning around for tyres today some places said it was camber, some said tracking, some said suspension problems.
Is this indication of a more serious problem or could it be fixed when getting new tyres fitted ??
Cheers for your words of wisdom :thumbsup:

HowieP
10-07-2006, 07:57 PM
I've had this problem (pre brake failure!!!) and it wasn't rocket science to fix. My car is std 16in 205/55 96/97 spec. I used to run the car as a company vehicle covering 25k a year and was amazed it wore all four tyres absolutely evenly with a change at 22-25k. One day my MOT man showed me the canvass on the inside edges of both fronts...tread depth 4mm flat across rest of tyres. Set of 4 fitted and tracking checked with new outer trackrod ends. 5k later, more excessive inner edge wear on fronts. You need to check the inner track rod ends, I changed these, checked the settings to factory spec and no more wear. Tyres I use are Continental W rated sport-contact assymetrics, very good and value excellent, hope this helps.

Howard