PDA

View Full Version : Possiblely really dumb FPR question

VR4 MAD
09-06-2006, 02:28 AM
/help Sorry......... but this is probablely a really dumb FPR question /dunce but.............I have to ask/pan

Many Fuel Pressure Regulators I see around (including the 'group buy' example on here) come with gauges fitted directly to the FPR body.

Now my dumb question is.........why? Well more specifically why have the gauge on the FPR body in the engine bay and hidden from view under the hood.:speechles

You can only see and read the thing at idle or by manually tweeking the throttle. This doesn't give a very real-world view of the likely pressure when the engine is under load during hard acceleration say. Surely it would be more useful inside the car where you can monitor it under all conditions and see the pressure fall or drop below whatever it should be?

The other side effect of having the gauge on the FPR is that it takes up even more room and must restrict how and where you can mount the bl**dy thing and still be able to see and read the gauge! Especially in our already crowded engine bay.

:inquisiti So please enlighten me as I must be missing something really really obvious because I just can't see the sense in this arrangement.:vogel:

I know you can get Fuel Pressure gauges for inside the car but are they all like the Defi type with a sender unit relaying an electronic signal to the gauge or god forbid do they have a fuel line running into the gauge in the same way as some older style oil pressure gauges do?

I for one don't like the idea of a fuel line running into the car. I've seen what happens to the dash when the oil line breaks on the old style oil pressure gauges. A broken fuel line doesn't bare thinking about!

Cheers for your help guys,

Wynne
(VR4 MAD)

valmes
09-06-2006, 03:09 AM
Short answer is -"cuz it's cheap"

Monitoring your fuel pressure at all times is great "diagnostic tool". You can see when your pump can't cope or when you have problems with your FPR and fuel pressure doesn't increase linearly... *** the root of too many problems, as it turned out on many cars*** ;)

That's why I have made my own adapter for Fuel pressure electronic sender unit that fits between fuel rail and "home made AFPR" :) and mounted a Fuel pressure gauge inside the cabin.

VR4 MAD
09-06-2006, 04:38 AM
Short answer is -"cuz it's cheap"

That's why I have made my own adapter for Fuel pressure electronic sender unit that fits between fuel rail and "home made AFPR" :) and mounted a Fuel pressure gauge inside the cabin.

valmes, a question.

Does it matter particularly where the gauge sender unit goes? Before or after the injectors?

I note yours is effectively in the same general place as the gauges that are mounted on the FPR body (ie after the injectors but before the FPR).

I have a copy of the Defi fuel pressure gauge installation instructions which clearly shows the tee for the sender before the fuel rail. Is this because, in many instances, there is no pipe to tap into between the end of the fuel rail and the FPR?

Cheers for the help.

valmes
10-06-2006, 03:38 AM
valmes, a question.

Does it matter particularly where the gauge sender unit goes? Before or after the injectors?

I note yours is effectively in the same general place as the gauges that are mounted on the FPR body (ie after the injectors but before the FPR).

I have a copy of the Defi fuel pressure gauge installation instructions which clearly shows the tee for the sender before the fuel rail. Is this because, in many instances, there is no pipe to tap into between the end of the fuel rail and the FPR?

Cheers for the help.

Usually it (fuel pressure sender unit) sits just before the return line.
Can you show what you mean... may be a link to where those instructions are? :inquisiti

.... "tee for the sender" and "pipe to tap" it's not like tapping the vacuum line with nothing but air in it, it's fuel where pressures can go as high as 4 bars even on mostly stock car, so in general you wouldn't want to just "tap" in there... :5shots:

VR4 MAD
10-06-2006, 07:15 AM
Usually it (fuel pressure sender unit) sits just before the return line.
Can you show what you mean... may be a link to where those instructions are? :inquisiti

.... "tee for the sender" and "pipe to tap" it's not like tapping the vacuum line with nothing but air in it, it's fuel where pressures can go as high as 4 bars even on mostly stock car, so in general you wouldn't want to just "tap" in there... :5shots:

OK here's the link to the PDF version of the installation instructions:

http://www.nippon-seiki.co.jp/defishop/product/images/dlink-manual06023eng.pdf

Page 32 of the PDF document has the diagram. Note though, this is page 85 of the instructions but pages 1 thru 54 have been removed, they were probablely the Japanese version of the instructions.

Let me know what you think once you've had a look.

I was wondering if I can just screw the pressure sender directly into the FPR body where many FPRs have the gauge mounted? That would work wouldn't it?

Cheers again for your help valmes

:2thumbsup

Oblivion
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
HELP! Where is the fuel feed line? I think my fuel pressure sensor has been installed in the return line which is why it isnt reading correctly.

Wodjno
05-11-2008, 12:59 AM
HELP! Where is the fuel feed line? I think my fuel pressure sensor has been installed in the return line which is why it isnt reading correctly.

If you mean the FPR ?

It should be mounted at the right handside of the front fuel rail when looking into the engine bay :thinking: Thats right at the beginning of the Fuel Return Pipe.. The OE FPR should have been removed and replaced with the new one..

Oblivion
05-11-2008, 01:15 AM
Oops sorry, I should have been a bit clearer. The sensor for my fuel pressure gauge should be in the feed line, I think it has been put in the return line. So..... I am wanting to know which is the feed line to be sure if its been installed in the right one.