PDA

View Full Version : Where's the best ....

Xeroid
10-06-2006, 10:34 PM
...place in the VR4 firewall to get a few wires through to control some bits from inside ?:inquisiti
Without drilling holes if possible. Want to run a few wires into the engine bay and took a look quickly but couldn't see any obvious easyily accessible spots. Through a convenient rubber boot or similar would be best. I'll probably run some light multicore through just in case for later ideas.
C'mon you gurus .... /help

bradc
11-06-2006, 02:12 AM
I don't know much about that sort of thing myself, but if you look at articles where people install boost controllers, gauges, or anything like that you should find plenty of tips.

detonate
11-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Have a better hunt around, there will definitely already be cables running through a rubber bung, just gotta find it.

I can't say where exactly as I've never looked in my 8Gen VR, but in my 6th it was up under the glovebox. IIRC (been a few years now)

Grab a torch :)

Gly
11-06-2006, 07:07 AM
on the battery side...

there is a hole that goes into the wheel arch, (in front on the fusebox)
then further back in the wheel arch closer to the pillar is a gormet,
that leads into the car and comes out behind the glove box.

you will have to take out the guard liner plastic to see it easily

mpau009
11-06-2006, 07:08 AM
My favourite is to go out the side guard by the battery, along and in the rubber bit by the door (comes out to the back left of the glove box), it takes some work, but looks tidier than a hole in the firewall, especially for audio calbes etc which go to the battery anyway.

either that or in the same area you can drill through the plastic cable box thing (the unused bit obviously) to the door, thats where i ran the heavy battery cable when i moved it to the boot, and was pretty simple, it comes out behind the plastic panel in front of the door kick plate (then straight down the under the kick trim).

Try some searches as well, theres been a fair bit of discussion.

When i ran the stuff for the boost controller, i did a similar thing but coming out at a bung high on the drivers side behind the suspension top, but i think that might only be for the 5-speeds. I'll see if i can dig up a pic.

Xeroid
11-06-2006, 11:02 AM
Cool guys, better go find the BIG torch, just trying to keep it tidy and waterproof !!

Kenneth
12-06-2006, 09:27 AM
I don't know much about that sort of thing myself, but if you look at articles where people install boost controllers, gauges, or anything like that you should find plenty of tips.

Dude, if you dont know...

You See
12-06-2006, 09:48 AM
You having a bad day Kenneth?? :inquisiti

Kenneth
12-06-2006, 09:50 AM
You having a bad day Kenneth?? :inquisiti

been home sick for about a week now... My super human powers of tolerance seem to have eroded over that time... :D

/edit: wasn't 100% serious though... I am hoping brad realises that and doesn't go postal at me for being a "meanie pants" (Thank you Alex... ;) )

Wodjno
12-06-2006, 09:58 AM
on the battery side...

there is a hole that goes into the wheel arch, (in front on the fusebox)
then further back in the wheel arch closer to the pillar is a gormet,
that leads into the car and comes out behind the glove box.

you will have to take out the guard liner plastic to see it easily

This a good place with plenty of room.. There is also 1 on the Off Side in the same position :2thumbsup

bradc
12-06-2006, 10:45 AM
to be fair that was a fairly useless post, at least I did offer the suggestion to search for boost controller articles, and I laughed at the picture too :)

Now Kenneth, do you want me to courier you Uc's PMS pills tomorrow? :P

Alex
12-06-2006, 06:49 PM
I am hoping brad realises that and doesn't go postal at me for being a "meanie pants" (Thank you Alex... ;) )

My pleasure mate.... anytime.

That's a label I normally reserve for Kieran, so you could consider yourself as quite honoured!! :thumbsup:

And, before I get into trouble for hijacking this thread, I do apologise /Hijack :anxious: :d

Xeroid
18-06-2006, 03:33 AM
Ok, cheated, ran the wires I needed up under the A pillar in the gap between that and the front guard then dropped it down tucked behind door hinges and under the front edge of the kick plate on the sill. It's black wire and you don't notice it down in the corner. Then made a small switch panel and fitted into the coin box that conceals the fuse box right side dash. So nothing showing inside.

Could have come through the boot between door and pillar I guess but really didn't want to make any unnecessary holes in seals if I could help it.

detonate
28-06-2006, 03:32 AM
I'm going to stab the next person that creates a thread with an ambiguous subject/title.

asshats

Kieran
28-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm going to stab the next person that creates a thread with an ambiguous subject/title.

asshats

:speechles :speechles :inquisiti

bradc
28-06-2006, 09:35 AM
another person that needs pms pills :) I must say that I do partially agree though, unless it is in the jokes forum. I do get annoyed sometimes or don't even pay attention to threads with titles that aren't clear about the actual subject of the thread.

Kenneth
28-06-2006, 09:18 PM
me too. as usually they are post whoring threads anyway...

detonate
28-06-2006, 10:52 PM
You think I need pms pills now?

You should see me in Auckland traffic! Gorram there are some asshats in admist that.

/pan /pan

Kenneth
28-06-2006, 10:57 PM
You think I need pms pills now?

You should see me in Auckland traffic! Gorram there are some asshats in admist that.

/pan /pan

Get a motorbike and stop whinging. Go over seas and try their traffic...

Came back from my UK - Hongkong trip and the traffic was great here :)

detonate
29-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I'll try to be more tolerant then..... :P

jaimz
29-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Asshat is one of the funniest cuss-words ever..! Well done Detonate :2thumbsup

detonate
29-06-2006, 11:55 PM
http://www.msu.edu/~bawolaar/asshat.thanks.tribs.jpg

hrm, IMG tags don't work?

Xeroid
07-07-2006, 09:41 AM

asshats

WTF !!! I resent being called an asshat.....

Nothing ambiguous about that !
Designed to attract some attention and get some answers. Otherwise it would be a boring old world .... geez...some people...get a life !
Just cos it wasn't what YOU were looking for ....

Some of the forums I frequent are almost dedicated to clever and witty repartee designed to mislead and entertain, in depth discussions of almost anything you could name.

Long as I can stab the next person who bores me with some trivial rubbish we got a deal.

detonate
10-07-2006, 04:32 AM
Long as I can stab the next person who bores me with some trivial rubbish we got a deal.

Sounds good to me :D