PDA

View Full Version : Revving a parked transmission

Kieran
20-10-2003, 11:02 PM
I noticed that some of you at the pod with Tiptronic 'boxes were revving your motors (to say, 3000rpm) whilst the transmission was either in Park or Neutral. My old Honda's handbook came with a warning saying not to do this whilst the transmission was parked, so I've always kept to this rule and also applied it when the transmission is in neutral. In fact, unless my car's moving, I don't rev it at all!

Can anyone clairfy what's good and bad with the INVECS-II? I understand that on some boxes, that the gearbox is disengaged totally whilst in N or P, but some other boxes (like the ones fitted to older E36 BMWs) run very high line pressures when in P or N and any revving will cause the internal seals to go:(...

Brind
20-10-2003, 11:22 PM
Can't confim totally but I'd say it is safe enough to at least do it in neutral, hence the name.
Some autos may be different.. I've revved mine in park and it seems all right, however I don't like to rev it too hard as I have great sympathy for engines.. however there isn't much that's cooler than hearing the HKS induction sucking and then hearing the engine growl.. :inlove:

BraindG
21-10-2003, 12:36 AM
i dont have a auto, but i would have to say NEVER rev it in parked..
only in neutral:eek:

Roadrunner
21-10-2003, 11:20 AM
run very high line pressures when in P or N and any revving will cause the internal seals to go
Could explain why so many of us have had gearbox seals go ... :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Kieran
21-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Well, that's what I was getting at really... It seems silly that so many of you have had problems, and I think that revving exxessively in N or P may be exacerbating the situation?

enigma
21-10-2003, 02:51 PM
To launch you dont rev in P or N......you rev in D with your foot hard on the brakes........doesn't say you shouldn't do it in the manual, but it is way worse than the other 2! It will increase the temperature of the oil, increase the pressure in the box, and may well lead to failure!

Until it happens I am not too worried! :D

Spirit
21-10-2003, 08:11 PM
So basically if it's not a good idea to rev in park, neutral or drive then simply you should not rev an automatic car at all ?:Ponder:

Seems a little over pessimistic or is it just me ?

KiwiTT
21-10-2003, 08:44 PM
When stopped for a long time in a jam, etc, is it leave it in D then to move it to N as the pressure is higher in N and P ?

Brind
21-10-2003, 11:22 PM
If I'm stuck in traffic and can't be arsed to keep my foot hard on the brakes I'll put it into park and apply the handbrake.. never used neutral to be honest.

Only ever revved the car once and that was when we were all at J.A.E. and I was curious why my car seemed to rev slower than yours Pete, I had the car in park while I was revving too.. wasn't red lining it but I was revving pretty high to hear the recirc valve aswell. :cool:

When starting the car the engine revs pretty high, about 2500-3000rpm until it finds its optimum temp so it can't be that bad!

I would think it would do far more damage while revving in drive with your foot on the brake as the car actually WANTS to go somewhere then, that must put tremendous strain on many components.

timmay556
16-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Sorry if I am bumping up this topic but, say your sitting in Queen ST traffice do you slap it in N or just leave it in D, my mates 1995 Diamante seems to Idel better in N then D while not moving.

Also whats the best way to launch a tiptronic?

Thanks

Tim

Zeke
16-04-2005, 05:55 PM
If I'm stuck in traffic and can't be arsed to keep my foot hard on the brakes I'll put it into park and apply the handbrake.. never used neutral to be honest.

I do the same as Brind at every light or jam. I actually put it in N before I even stop (during braking) then lift off the brakes after i stop. One it's time to go again I put it in D.
I'm just paranoid about warped discs since the only time discs can get warped is when hot pads are touching the rotors.

Another anal thing I do is put it in N before parking the car and lifting the ebrake, then put it in P. This parks the car with your ebrake, not a little transmission pin. So does anyone else do this here? :happy:

timmay556:
i've posted this in another thread but here is the copy/paste:

"Left foot on brake and press it as hard as you can.
Put it into N, hit the gas pedal with your right foot quickly and let it go, you will feel your left foot depress further as the brakes get more pressure.
Put it into D, pull the E-brake and keep your thumb on the button.
Rev your engine between 3000-3500 rpm to get boost.
Release the brakes and E-brakes as you slam the gas.
You should not get any wheelspin as you are getting launched."

Vector
16-04-2005, 08:45 PM
....quote from the mitsy galant manual thats just come through the door
...cheers funkyproduct.... :thumbsup: ..
and i quote "After slowing down and stopping apply park brake.if you will be stopped for some-time place shift lever into N position"
WARNING
*Don't operate brake and accelerator together
.......its gonna overheat

but hey...if you can afford it and you need some serious 1/4 times or to upset ppl at the lights i say do whatever it takes :evil2:

enigma
16-04-2005, 09:27 PM
My gearbox has 50+ Pod launches under its belt, and traffic light sprints

STILL WORKING!

SGHOM
16-04-2005, 10:45 PM
[QUOTE=bigdaveakers]My gearbox has 50+ Pod launches under its belt, and traffic light sprints

yeah !! and mine, & mines still worki....................................... just been repaired !! :embarasse :embarasse :embarasse

Vector
16-04-2005, 11:10 PM
My gearbox has 50+ Pod launches under its belt, and traffic light sprints

STILL WORKING!

with my luck if i said that i'd have too touch some wood rather fast :sad3:

timmay556
17-04-2005, 12:55 AM
with my luck if i said that i'd have too touch some wood rather fast :sad3:

You got that wood stuff around the wheel?

Oh and thanks guy... Really apreciate helping a newbie... :thumbsup:

Yoda
31-05-2005, 12:47 AM
Not overly sure how relevant this is but I believe that the drive shaft is locked in different directions on each wheel whilst in "P" . Not sure how revving the car would influence/effect this.

This is true of my Honda Accord, FWD, not sure if the same on the VR4 being 4WD.

Robert

v8killa
31-05-2005, 01:05 AM
I don't know what the book says about revving in N or P, but I rev Trigger to 7000 RPM quite often without any ill effects - so far...

Sulli
31-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I do similar to you Zeke. Not only sympathetic on the car, but makes for a smooth stop.

As for revving in neutral or Park - if the car is stationery it won't do any harm at all - both are neutral gears, but park has a pin engaged to stop any car movement. Putting it in park before you have come to a complete halt may cause problems though.

As an aside on the 'launch technique' used by many here. I had my balljoints checked a couple of months back at my local dealer - they were fine, and were sealed. Following this I did a couple of launches trying out Derek's G-Tech, by holding car on brake and revving to 3-4k, and then releasing brake while flooring it. Following this, a couple of weeks later I had my MOT, and they found a little bit of play in the rack ends, which I duly renewed.

Now surely any play in that area would have been identified when Mitsubishi were checking the balljoints?? Maybe, maybe not? I have a sneaking feeling that the launches caused excess strain on the components in and around the driving wheels, and the balljoint on the inner Track Rod End took the brunt of it when launching. Or maybe i'm completely wrong :rolleyes4

I know Dave has had numerous launches, and has been OK so far, but I still feel it can't do any good - after all, there are two huge opposing forces straining against eachother, unlike normal braking when the only thing working against the brake is the rolling speed of the disc, no actual forward force (OK, i'm not a physicist, but you get the gist).

enigma
31-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Even with the crap brakes, the braking forces outshine the acceleration forces by about 2 to 1!