PDA

View Full Version : Which panel filter

Paul C
12-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Looking to replace panel filter.Which type should i use?

bradc
12-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Ralliart and K&N both make replacement panel filters for our cars, I would recommend one of those.

Roadrunner
12-06-2006, 12:18 PM
What's wrong with the stock Mitsubishi filter?

Paul C
12-06-2006, 01:45 PM
I'm looking for increased airflow without using induction kit.where do you buy ralliart from been on there website and its
to confusing

Roadrunner
12-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I'm looking for increased airflow without using induction kit
Why don't you just take the filter out altogether then?

Bear in mind, it's there for a reason and any filter that claims to provide increased airflow does it at the expense of not filtering out the dust and cr@p that the filter is designed to stop (or doing it less efficiently). I'm not a fan of after-market filters for that precise reason - I'd rather protect the engine and find the extra few horse power somewhere else ...

Brian

amsoil
12-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Totally agree with H7 on this but would go further. I've known of engines loosing power when the filter is removed because you loose the settling of the airflow caused by the filter.

We don't import Amsoil or anyone elses air filters at present as all this oiling and how much and when is all to hit and miss for my liking

Why don't you just take the filter out altogether then?

Bear in mind, it's there for a reason and any filter that claims to provide increased airflow does it at the expense of not filtering out the dust and cr@p that the filter is designed to stop (or doing it less efficiently). I'm not a fan of after-market filters for that precise reason - I'd rather protect the engine and find the extra few horse power somewhere else ...

Brian

Axeboy
12-06-2006, 06:14 PM
bmc also do a panel

bernmc
12-06-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm due a service soon, Paul - you might want to hang on a week or two as I'll be sending another oil sample for analysis. The last time I checked my oil, it contained silicates which consensus here suggested might be due to the K&N panel filter. I did find a missing jubilee clip on the intake system, so it might have been a simple airleak.

This next sample should give us the answer - will probably be taking a sample on Saturday, so results by the end of next week.

(Note that the sound you can hear in the backgound is Don (Amsoil) dialing his travel agent anticipating another truckload of oils being ordered by yours truely)

Kenneth
12-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I have a ralliart foam panel filter. Came with the car.

Anyway, its a dry filter with 3 layers of foam and seems to work well.

amsoil
13-06-2006, 01:39 AM
(Note that the sound you can hear in the backgound is Don (Amsoil) dialing his travel agent anticipating another truckload of oils being ordered by yours truely)

I really really want the sample to come back in spec. The grand scheme of things is that you buy the best (Amsoil of course), change it less often as proved by oil analysis; you all save money and I get lots more converts & so sell more!

Well thats the theory, we will see.....:5shots: :5shots:

Kalle
07-07-2006, 07:44 PM
So.. anyone got experience from changing their original panel filter to a K&N or Ralliart or BMC panel filter?

Which one is the best?

conaboy
08-07-2006, 09:07 AM
Im changing back to standard, there isn't any noticeable difference between the stock and K&N etc. No point taking chances with the engine for an extra bhp or two.

Think something like the ARC box is the way forward tho.....:pimp2:

Unfortunately its 200 quid

bernmc
08-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Well, I'll be taking my K&N out and selling it on. My amsoil analysis (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14349)results still show some silicon/silicate contamination. I've already been through the intake system, and can't find any obvious leaks, so I suspect its the filter - more airflow, but poorer filtration.

Probably fine if you intend to change your oil every 5000 miles, but I'd like to avoid this if the amsoil remains in spec for longer. Back to a standard filter for me then.

K&N + recharge kit coming soon to a for sale section soon!

amsoil
08-07-2006, 10:25 AM
My personal opinion is that this really is the way to go, (and Amsoil do sell foam filters similar to K&N). Most manufacturers are sufficiently cute to have maximised their power output with a manufacturers air filter, if you remove the filter you may well actually loose power! Japanese car makers have been very good for some time in producing efficient and powerful cars. The good old 'paper' jobby is a very very good and efficient filter which is why it is universal. There are higher flowing filters which by definition allow more abrasive crap into your engine but is your ECU able to utilise that very slight increase in flow, I have my doubts.

Well, I'll be taking my K&N out and selling it on. My amsoil analysis (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14349)results still show some silicon/silicate contamination. I've already been through the intake system, and can't find any obvious leaks, so I suspect its the filter - more airflow, but poorer filtration.

Probably fine if you intend to change your oil every 5000 miles, but I'd like to avoid this if the amsoil remains in spec for longer. Back to a standard filter for me then.

K&N + recharge kit coming soon to a for sale section soon!