PDA

View Full Version : Clonking has gone!

I-S
13-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Ever since changing to the Black diamond discs, I had a clonking noise from the OSF when going over bumps. Even after kieran and I rebuilt the brakes, it was still there and I thought it was something in the suspension.

However, after having changed the discs the other day, it has gone! I was trying to provoke it today, but it's just gone! Woohoo! :2thumbsup

I remember Strangebat had a similar issue with black diamond discs on his VR4. Perhaps Black Diamond are not really worth getting...

Also, the occasional cracking noises have gone completely now that I have a FULL set of anti-rattle shims (both inboard and outboard rather than just outboard, which came after having none at all).

psbarham
13-06-2006, 09:04 AM
nice one mate :2thumbsup glad someones got some brakes , mine melted the outer dust seals at the weekend , but don't worry something big is coming /Hmmm :satan: :evil2: :evil2:

Kieran
13-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Still waiting for my calipers to return from being reconditioned - They're being taken care of by BiggRed. And before anyone asks, I've asked for a standard black finish, not the chavmobile red!!/pan

WildCards
13-06-2006, 11:43 AM
That'll look good K, I'm not a fan of the red either, unless the brakes are hooge. Couldn't you do them yourself?

Kieran
13-06-2006, 01:21 PM
That'll look good K, I'm not a fan of the red either, unless the brakes are hooge. Couldn't you do them yourself?

I could have got the FTO GPX caliper rebuild kits from Camskills, but I felt it better to leave this job to the pros....:book:

DUNLY
13-06-2006, 11:28 PM
interesting isaac. i changed to rossini discs the other week there, and been getting the exact same clonking. i guess i wll just have to live with it!

I-S
14-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Not necessarily...

I assume you properly cleaned up the hub face before putting the new disc on and all of that... Try removing the disc, rotating it 90 degrees and refitting it.

DUNLY
14-06-2006, 09:54 AM
yup done all of that. put copper grease on the hub face 2. its doing my head in. maybe give it a go the moro see how i get on!

psbarham
15-06-2006, 08:30 PM
yup done all of that. put copper grease on the hub face 2. its doing my head in. maybe give it a go the moro see how i get on!
take the wheel off now and clean that **** off unless you want a three wheeler , the grease will stop the disc and hub mating fully by causing a degree of hydraulic lock once you drive it for a while centrifugal force will throw the grease out causing the wheel to choose its own destiny /pan