PDA

View Full Version : Atf fluid levels

Paul C
14-06-2006, 03:00 PM
How is it best to check the level. I have checked mine whilst it has been stood and the level has been ok for cold indication.If i check the level whilst the engine is running then there is no indication at all. can anyone help on correct dipping procedures.Thanks paul c

I-S
14-06-2006, 03:56 PM
Warm the car thoroughly (at least 15 mins driving.... long after the water temp has stabilised) and park on a level surface. Cycle the box from P through each gear, stopping in each for a few seconds, and cycle back to N. Level should be between the hot marks.

Jimbo
14-06-2006, 05:38 PM
How is it best to check the level. I have checked mine whilst it has been stood and the level has been ok for cold indication.If i check the level whilst the engine is running then there is no indication at all. can anyone help on correct dipping procedures.Thanks paul c

That sounds ominous, you may have a leak.

Do exactly what Isaac says - this is the ONLY way to get an accurate reading. When my car had lost 2 litres (yes....frightening) it was still showing plenty on the dipstick when it was cold.

Paul C
14-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I dont thinks its leaking.I have just changed atf fluid and are just making sure i have refilled by the right amount.I was just wondering if it was best to check levels whilst the engine is running or with engine switched off. I get good readings for cold and hot situations with the engine off.I also noticed that even the slightest of incline that the vehicle is parked on can makeabig difference in dip reading.Thanks Paul c