PDA

View Full Version : Boost gauge?

thehedgepig
14-06-2006, 04:46 PM
I'm pulling the dashboard out next week and fitting my AVCR and SAFC below the stereo, a mate said that a set of 3 gauges would also look cool so that got me thinking....

Oil Pressure, oil temp and boost gauge... but then I thought could I fit 2 boost gauges as its a twin turbo, with an oil pressure gauge in the middle?

Is this possible? can each turbo run a seperate gauge on the dash?

The Vee
14-06-2006, 06:19 PM
No mate, both turbos combine to make one boost:2thumbsup

thehedgepig
14-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the info, one final question before I spend my money....

Bar or PSI and how high should the range go?

Thanks in anticipation.

Wodjno
14-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Thanks for the info, one final question before I spend my money....

Bar or PSI and how high should the range go?

Thanks in anticipation.

Bar or PSi is the choice of the indivdual :happy:

20 psi or 1.5bar should suffice :2thumbsup

zentac
14-06-2006, 08:27 PM
No mate, both turbos combine to make one boost:2thumbsup

You could use 2, but you would have to drill, tap, and add some sort of nozzel to each turbo outlet pipe to see how much boost they are both running.

The Vee
14-06-2006, 08:55 PM
You could use 2, but you would have to drill, tap, and add some sort of nozzel to each turbo outlet pipe to see how much boost they are both running.

Not entirely convinced, unless you can separate the two outputs, leading to separate manifolds etc, surely they will always have a balancing effect on each other.

zentac
14-06-2006, 09:48 PM
Not entirely convinced, unless you can separate the two outputs, leading to separate manifolds etc, surely they will always have a balancing effect on each other.

If you tapped in just after the turbo's, long before the Y piece you would see what pressure each turbo is pushing, anywhere after the Y and they will balance out.... you could hve a faulty actuator and one be pushing a lot more than the other (I did!)

Kieran
14-06-2006, 10:33 PM
If you tapped in just after the turbo's, long before the Y piece you would see what pressure each turbo is pushing, anywhere after the Y and they will balance out.... you could hve a faulty actuator and one be pushing a lot more than the other (I did!)

Ooooh..... that sounds interesting!:book:

bradc
15-06-2006, 08:22 AM
That would be a good way of diagnosng a faulty turbo.

The actual boost pressure in the inlet manifold (where it is normally measured)would be a little bit lower than the pressure in the pipes coming off the turbos as well.

zentac
15-06-2006, 08:34 AM
yep, it would also be interesting to tap off after your intercooler to see how much pressure your loosing for having that massive intercooler you always wanted ;)

bradc
15-06-2006, 08:41 AM
yeah it will be interesting to see if it does affect how quickly my boost builds up, I can't imagine it will make too much differance once the boost is actually built up though.